Author Topic: 32-bit and 64-bit GSX installed but only one uninstall option  (Read 6004 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Hi Umberto,

This is the email I sent as this forum was down earlier...

I’m running P3D v3.4 (for FS Labs Concorde) and P3D v4.5 for everything else. GSX is installed for both sims.

This morning I launched the GSX uninstall process via Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs and it asked if I wished to uninstall GSX. There was no option to uninstall for just v3 or v4.

As I didn’t want to touch v4 I chose Cancel. However, the uninstaller then advised three files had been set back to default ones. I’m attaching the three screenshots. This should not have happened. Cancelling the uninstaller should have left things as they are.

The problem now is I don’t know how to rectify the problem with these files. Please advise and also change the uninstaller so this doesn’t happen again.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: 32-bit and 64-bit GSX installed but only one uninstall option
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:02:03 pm »
Having a shared folder has the obvious advantage that:

- We don't waste any hard drive space if you have multiple simulators installed, since a lot the files are the same for 32 and 64 bit versions of sim.

- We are fully compliant with LM recommendation of not installing anything in the simulator own folder

However, due to these requirements, it means is not possible to selectively Uninstall for one sim only because the uninstaller, by default, will remove all files it has installed when it originally run, and since most of them are shared, it will remove too much, unless we would individually flag shared or not shared files, which is theoretically possible, but it conflict with the very concept of the Live Update, since the Live Update can add, replace and remove any files after the installation but, since the Uninstaller is created on the fly by the installer when you run the installer, it would be impossible to keep the uninstaller updated with all the future changes.

To fix whatever problem you have, I suggest doing the following:

- Uninstall GSX and every other FSDT product you have

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?"

- Check if you still have an Addon Manager folder and if you have it, remove it manually

- Reinstall GSX and every other FSDT product you have, indicating all the simulators you want to install into. Since you still use P3D V3, you must install both the 32 and the 64 bit version of GSX.

Nothing related to activation will be affected.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:20:26 pm »
Ouch! All that work when I backed out of the uninstall process? Why does your program replace files when the user selected NO for the uninstall to continue?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
I was only replying to a part of your question, why it's not possible to selectively Uninstall from just one sim.

The fact is still doing something is not supposed to do when you press Cancel, is in fact a problem we should fix.

My solution would get you going for sure, while we fix this problem, which would in any case require to re-download all the installers are re-run them again ( as I've said, the uninstaller is created by the installer code, when you run the installer ), and the only thing you'll gain while waiting for fixed installer, is that you'll be able to press Cancel and nothing will happen ( as it should ), but you would still have to do the same complete uninstall/redownload/reinstall.

My solution would work even with the current installers, but you cannot still press Cancel. That would require updated installers for everything.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 02:57:06 pm »
Hi Umberto. The problem only relates to GSX. I’m happy to uninstall both 32 and 64 bit versions of GSX and then reinstall them once you have fixed the problem related to cancelling the uninstall.

Are you saying this action (only with GSX) has affected all my FSDT airports as well? Surely not? If that is the case I respectfully suggest you need to reconsider how these programs are managed.

Anyway, for now I’ll do nothing and see how things transpire. Can you advise where these files that were replaced reside on my system? And just to confirm I have opened the GSX Control Panel and opted to replace the default jetways. I presume that’s okay?
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 03:04:07 pm »
Hi Umberto. The problem only relates to GSX. I’m happy to uninstall both 32 and 64 bit versions of GSX and then reinstall them once you have fixed the problem related to cancelling the uninstall.

As I've said, you don't have to wait for us to fix the installer because, the only thing you'll achieve, is that you will be able to Cancel the uninstaller without worrying. And even in that case, you will still have to re-download the installer. My solution, instead, worked with the installer you have, just be sure you don't start the Uninstaller and Cancel it, for the time being.

Are you saying this action (only with GSX) has affected all my FSDT airports as well? Surely not? If that is the case I respectfully suggest you need to reconsider how these programs are managed.

I can't say for sure. I gave you a solution that would surely work, regardless. Otherwise, my answer would have been way more complex to write and to follow, like "If you installed this scenery, but not this one, do this, else do that".

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 04:10:29 pm »
Hi Umberto. I shall go ahead and uninstall and reinstall GSX and the Level2 version. I’ll see how the FSDT airports behave before going any further.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 04:41:14 pm »
Hi Umberto. I shall go ahead and uninstall and reinstall GSX and the Level2 version. I’ll see how the FSDT airports behave before going any further.

Yes, I don't think airports would be affected. GSX and GSX Level 2 are just one installation

If you don't do anything, the worse it could happen is you might see the default tow truck which the GSX installer disable. The default jetway model can be disabled/enabled with the GSX Control Panel.

If you reinstall GSX, it would surely disable both the default jetways and tow truck. In any case, we already fixed the problem with the uninstaller on abort, and will appear in the next update (requiring to download all installers, if you really need it)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:04:49 pm »
Thanks Umberto. I should explain why I’m doing all this. You may recall I posted a message in February about a problem with FS Labs Concorde CTDing at specific places. It was suggested to me that GSX and / or SODE might be responsible so I uninstalled both then reinstalled them.

The problem disappeared until yesterday even though I had changed nothing on my P3D v3.4 install. So I was looking for a quick way of temporarily removing GSX. I backed out of the uninstall and you know the rest.

It was crashing P3D 4nm from a waypoint around 20 miles WNW of EGCC. Highly unlikely that GSX is responsible but it and SODE were the only things I hadn’t uninstalled.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 05:59:07 pm »
And that's another advantage of our products using the proper P3D add-on.xml method to install: you can temporarily deactivate these add-on, usually for troubleshooting, without having to uninstall anything!

Just to to the Options->Add-ons menu of the sim. There, you can disable an add-on ( only those installed with the add-on.xml method will appear there ), without worrying about uninstalling it.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:37:50 pm »
And that's another advantage of our products using the proper P3D add-on.xml method to install: you can temporarily deactivate these add-on, usually for troubleshooting, without having to uninstall anything!

Just to to the Options->Add-ons menu of the sim. There, you can disable an add-on ( only those installed with the add-on.xml method will appear there ), without worrying about uninstalling it.

That was the method I tried back in Feb but the CTDs continued. It was only after I uninstalled it I saw the messages about default files being restored and only then did the crashes stop. So knowing which files are involved and where they are would be extremely helpful as deactivating only leaves those files in place.

Other than that I agree it’s a better method.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:31 am »
I have uninstalled GSX and am now installing it for 32-bit P3D. It's an enormous install and looks to be taking well over an hour. And why update ALL my products when I just want GSX installing? Give the user the option to save a load of time.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 11:50:06 am »
Installing GSX shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

However, if you install using an OLD installer, the Live Update will have to update all files that has been released after that installer came out. It will surely will be much faster if you download the latest full installer, so the Live Update won't have much left to do.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 12:56:05 pm »
Installing GSX shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

However, if you install using an OLD installer, the Live Update will have to update all files that has been released after that installer came out. It will surely will be much faster if you download the latest full installer, so the Live Update won't have much left to do.

I downloaded the FSX/P3D 32-bit installer from your site. It took around 40 mins for everything to be updated. Was that the correct way to do it? I didn't opt for Addon Manager to be removed with the GSX uninstall.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 02:12:33 pm »
Please clarify if those 40 minutes ( which is very strange ), was the time to:

- Install GSX

OR

- Live Update GSX

OR

- Live Update other FSDT products that were also outdated