Author Topic: Stutters problem  (Read 8058 times)

SWR14

Stutters problem
« on: December 21, 2007, 11:36:11 am »
 >:( Hello at Everyone. Does someone of you guys have a solution yet for the stutters at RWY 14 and RWY 16? It really drive me nuts having such a poor final after a long haul flight. I love the scenery of Zurich, but these stutters are a big pain... >:(

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
Re: Stutters problem
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:58:55 pm »

SWR14

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:54 pm »
I have seen this post, but i could not find a solution in it. I tried to follow the instructions given on the AVSIM- link: No results so far...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:57:07 pm »
Problem is, we can't offer nothing more then general suggestions, since you are the only one having reported it right now. So, it must be something local to your machine.

SWR14

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 04:06:44 pm »
Ciao Alessandro

I saw that some other guys also reported the same problem. It always happends just before landing, apr. 400- 200 ft over ground...

Saluti della Svizzera

KingCat

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:34:25 pm »
Adjusting settings is not solving the problem, but a workaround

Since this happens only at LSZH, and not at e.g. EHAM, KLAX and KDCA, this must be a problem related to this specific scenery.

Please solve this problem, because I have many other addon airports, and LSZH is the only airport experiencing stutters on short final
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:21:21 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:21:29 am »
Adjusting settings is not solving the problem, but a workaround.

Adjusting setting, instead, it's the only correct way to solve the problem.

Since this happens only at LSZH, and not at e.g. EHAM, KLAX and KDCA, this must be a problem related to this specific scenery

That's a comparison that doesn't have much use because this scenery is not located in the EHAM, KLAX, or KDCA area.

What you see on screen, it's not just the airport scenery. It's a *combination* of the background of the area involved (with all your other eventual addons, like meshes, scenery, ai traffic, etc), plus the airport. With the wrong (or too high) settings, the *combination* that happens in this area might require different settings than at other places.

A question: do you have FSX ? Does it happens in the FSX version ? Because, that one has an entirely different way of loading the scenery.

The most important setting is probably the global texture size, because this scenery has much more ground resolution that the others you mentioned. The global setting size is there for a reason. One notch below maximum, it will use 512x512 texture size, hence reducing 4 times the amount of VRAM requested, just like the initial 1.0 release. The slider at the maximum setting will allow 1024x1024 textures, showing the full resolution of Zurich 1.1 and above. It wouldn't make much sense to publish two different version of the scenery, when you can obtain the same result by simply adjusting a slider.

Please solve this problem, because I have many other addon airports, and LSZH is the only airport experiencing stutters on short final.

I've just tried two approaches, one in the default Baron and another in the default 747, haven't found any stuttering problems. FS9 freshly installed without any other addons, all sliders to the right. Maybe with many heavy load airplanes (like the pmdg 747, only that one takes more than 600MB of ram), or traffic addons, one would have to play with settings more. That's why we have a Trial version, so anyone can try on his *own* combination of addons and PC config.

KingCat

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 06:15:03 pm »
No, I don't use FSX.

For this particular flight, I used the 738 from PMDG. I have also installed the Switzerland Pro scenery and I use Ultimate Traffic set at 15% traffic together with ActiveSky for real world weather.

The strange thing is that LSZH is the only airport that's causing stutters. I also have other highly detailed airports (e.g. EGLL from SimWings with photoscenery for the U.K., EDDF from Aerosoft with photoscenery for Germany) and none of these airports cause stutters.

I also have a reasonable system for FS9, so that shouldn't be the problem.

3.80 Mhz processor (single core).
NVidia 7950GX2 videocard with 1GB of RAM.
4GB RAM
Windows XP

Isn't there anyway of reducing the loading of the scenery besides reducing the global texture size? (e.g. not loading all the scenery objects at once, but several at a time as you're approaching the airport).

Jon

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:50:03 pm »
For this particular flight, I used the 738 from PMDG. I have also installed the Switzerland Pro scenery and I use Ultimate Traffic set at 15% traffic together with ActiveSky for real world weather.

Have you tried with a *default* airplane, disabling the photo scenery and without Active Sky and internet connection for real weather ? I'm not saying you have to always fly like this: just as a test.

Also, do you see any difference when reducing the global textures size slider ?

The strange thing is that LSZH is the only airport that's causing stutters. I also have other highly detailed airports (e.g. EGLL from SimWings with photoscenery for the U.K., EDDF from Aerosoft with photoscenery for Germany) and none of these airports cause stutters.

I'll say it again: you can't compare airports at different places, even if the might be similar in scope and style, the base memory allocation might be drastically different when moving even a few miles, or even looking in different directions.

Isn't there anyway of reducing the loading of the scenery besides reducing the global texture size? (e.g. not loading all the scenery objects at once, but several at a time as you're approaching the airport).

That exactly how the scenery is done. Everything IS loaded at different times, with different visual ranges, different height cut-off thresholds and multiple LOD's EXACTLY for the reason of having an high frame rate with less stuttering.

Or, more precisely, the multiple LOD's are for the fps, the multiple visual ranges and height checks (many things are not displayed over a certain altitude) are used for the specific reason of reducing potential stutters and are so granular, that even individual objects have their slightly different loading ranges and altitude ranges. For example, not all cars disappear at the same altitude, not all lights, not all ground details, etc.

This is done with the specific intent of NOT having all the high detail loaded at once.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:52:19 pm by virtuali »