Author Topic: Preferred Exit / Stop Position  (Read 2838 times)

Gpxe

Preferred Exit / Stop Position
« on: April 25, 2020, 09:59:50 pm »
Hello

i understand that the Preferred Exit is now the point of reference for the Stop Position. However, when you customize an airport position in the 3D Vehicle position editor, the Stop position is always marked at the nose gear, which is very misleading .. And so does the yeloow ruler on the ground, starting at the nose gear position.... To be consistent with the new approach, the Stop pos should be indicated at the middle of the Preferred Exit, don't you think ?

As an ancillary point, i noticed there is no explanation whatsoever in the manual to indicate how to define the Preferred Exit ... It would be a good add...

Thanks

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Preferred Exit / Stop Position
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 06:57:41 am »
The stop position is supposed to be where the stop line is on the pavement, so not sure why you would use the exit as a reference point.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:40:48 am »
You make it sound as if the Preferred Exit was something "new" added to GSX. It has been like this in years, see the Live Update notes:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

It came in the Aircraft Editor in June 2017, and got another update in October 2017

In any case, you must understand the Stop Position is something that, until YOU set it, simply doesn't exists. It's nothing the simulator knows about so, when you edit a parking for the first time, it's just NOT set, and it would still NOT set unless you move it, even a little bit.

The only thing GSX knows before you start customizing, is the only thing the simulator supports in the scenery AFCAD, which is the center of the parking, so the airplane by default is placed there, and the stop position ( which at this time is still NOT set ) is set to airplane front gear, just to give you some kind of starting point.

About the relationship with the Preferred Exit, is clearly correct as it is. The Stop position it's a position on ground, which will change depending which airplane you'll USE in GSX, which is exactly what will happen in real life, since the goal here is to have different airplane models ending with their own Preferred Exit in roughly the same position, which automatically results in a different Stop Position on ground and that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

Regardless if you are editing or using the parking, you'll see a different Stop position for each airplane ( that's what happens in real life ), but if you put the airplane front gear there, it will end up with ITS own Preferred Exit in the SAME position as the Preferred Exit of the airplane used to customized the parking.

This way, if the jetway works with the airplane you customized the parking with, you can be reasonably sure ( unless there's a big difference in door's height ) the same jetway will work with any other airplane in use. And that's precisely the reason why there are different stop positions on ground in real life.

Now, whether this would match or not *custom* ground markings on 3rd party airports, it's an entirely different matter, because GSX cannot obviously know anything about how those textures are made/placed and the relationship between meters and pixels across the various stop positions in 3rd party sceneries. In our latest sceneries, like KORD V2 ( but also KLAX ), we made sure our ground markings would 100% match the GSX logic.

Gpxe

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:24:56 pm »
Umberto

I never mentionned the gound markings, that is a notion introduced by Captain Kevin in his reply which is totally out of purpose, I agree.

I perfectly understand how the Preferred Exit works and the relation between Preferred Exit and Stop Position.

My two questions, which are still unanswered at this time are :

1/ when in edit mode, why does the yellow tape ruler on the ground uses the Stop Position as the point of reference ? It would make more sense to use the Preferred Exit as the point of reference since this is the logic of GSX (since 2017 OK)

2/ the GSX manual could have additional explanations about how to define the Preferred Exit

Thanks

pete_auau

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:11:18 am »
Umberto

I never mentionned the gound markings, that is a notion introduced by Captain Kevin in his reply which is totally out of purpose, I agree.

I perfectly understand how the Preferred Exit works and the relation between Preferred Exit and Stop Position.

My two questions, which are still unanswered at this time are :

1/ when in edit mode, why does the yellow tape ruler on the ground uses the Stop Position as the point of reference ? It would make more sense to use the Preferred Exit as the point of reference since this is the logic of GSX (since 2017 OK)

2/ the GSX manual could have additional explanations about how to define the Preferred Exit

Maybe this  vid  will help  his  made  about  9  or  the  gsxl2  on  how  to set  it  up on airports

&index=4&t=0s

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »

The ruler is generally used only to set the Max Marshaller distance. Not sure why you think is misleading in relationship of the Stop position, which is something you usually set up visually in relationship to both the ground markings and the jetway, it's not as if you must enter a distance manually ( as with the Max marshaller distance value ).

Sure it can.