Author Topic: Stairs drive up without tug  (Read 3369 times)

hotbso

Stairs drive up without tug
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:05:06 pm »
I recently noticed that stairs drive up automagically without a tug (front stairs in attached image). Seems to happen independent of airport.

Timothy Metzinger

Re: Stairs drive up without tug (unmotorized front stairs)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:02:00 am »
I'm seeing these stairs too.  The front stairs are not motorized (they have a towbar attachment for a tug), and this is different from what I remember, even with the PMDG 737 NGX aircraft.  I'm wondering if this is changed in a recent update?  maybe the default models got switched.   
On my wishlist is the ability to change between tugs and staircases in the same way we can choose different types of jetways, with the same sort of checks to make sure that what we selected will actually work with our aircraft.

C130

• "With your eyes turned skywards...."
Re: Stairs drive up without tug (unmotorized front stairs)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 11:24:18 am »
I'm seeing these stairs too.  The front stairs are not motorized (they have a towbar attachment for a tug), and this is different from what I remember, even with the PMDG 737 NGX aircraft.  I'm wondering if this is changed in a recent update?  maybe the default models got switched.   
On my wishlist is the ability to change between tugs and staircases in the same way we can choose different types of jetways, with the same sort of checks to make sure that what we selected will actually work with our aircraft.

In the meantime, as a workaround, I disable the second passenger door on smaller aircraft, from the GSX aircraft editor. This should ensure you only get the motorised stairs loading/unloading from the main doorway. Usually the aft door, although forward may be used. Just experiment to see which gets the motor stairs.

"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Stairs drive up without tug
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 02:04:20 pm »
I recently noticed that stairs drive up automagically without a tug (front stairs in attached image). Seems to happen independent of airport.

GSX has that kind of stairs since 2012 when it was released. They never had a tug to begin with, but it's surely something we might take into consideration for a future update.

Timothy Metzinger

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 01:46:38 am »
If you look at the attached picture, you'll see an Airbus being serviced by two self-moving staircases.  This is from a GSX customization for Salsburg (LOWS).  I'm positive I used to see these "staircases on trucks" all the time in the last year but now all I get for the front stairs are the ones designed to be towed by something else, even though I haven't changed the airplane I've been using.  Unless the staircase selection can be linked to the season, something must have changed in GSX .

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:40 am »
If you look at the attached picture, you'll see an Airbus being serviced by two self-moving staircases.  This is from a GSX customization for Salsburg (LOWS).  I'm positive I used to see these "staircases on trucks" all the time in the last year but now all I get for the front stairs are the ones designed to be towed by something else, even though I haven't changed the airplane I've been using.  Unless the staircase selection can be linked to the season, something must have changed in GSX .

And you'll still see those stairs, I'm sure.

As explained so many times in the forum, every GSX vehicle has several conditions. Stairs mainly limited to the airplane doors height so, each stairs has a range of heights it can use, but sometimes we *restrict* a certain type of stair to be used in lower height range than it could possibly reach as a model.

Many users complained the stairs with a truck shouldn't be used on small/mid-sized airplanes like 737s or A320s, because in previous version we had the range of the truck-less stair far too restricted, so they only appeared on smaller airplanes.

Since we always listen to users suggestions, we increased the height range of the truck-less stairs, so now they CAN appear on 737/A320s, which is what lots of users asked for, saying the larger stair was "inappropriate" for such airplane. The truck-less stair CAN reach up to 3.78 meters, we allowed them up to 3.50 meters now so they are already limited.

The ones with the truck are used when the airplane door is at least 3.00 meters high, up to 5.80/6.00 meters ( depending on the model ).

Since the door of an A320 is about 3.75 meters from ground, BOTH kind of stairs can be used and, being both candidates, they will be chosen at random, although since there are two models of stairs with a truck and only one model without, the ones with the truck will have a better chance to appear.

A 737 door is about 2.85 meters from ground, so you will never see the stairs with a truck, because we changed their minimum height to be 3.00 meters, and this was made precisely to address users that didn't want to see the larger truck models on a 737, and complained they never got a chance to see the truck-less stair.

So, what's happening now, is:

- On a 737 a similar size airplanes, you'll only get the truck-less model

- On A320s class, you'll get BOTH, with an higher chance to see the trucked model, because there are more of them to choose from.

- On bigger airplanes, you'll get only the trucked model.

So yes, there was a change, and it was of course made intentionally, to address to users asking to see more realistic smaller stairs on the 737, which never appeared before, which was a pity, since the PBR version of that model is very nice and, we are surely planning to make them nicer, like being towed by a truck or, possibly, being pushed by hand by a crew, so I'm sure you'll end up preferring this model for 737s.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:44:39 pm by virtuali »

Timothy Metzinger

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:06:14 am »
OK, so I'm not crazy.  i used to see truck stairs and now I don't, because some of your users asked for the change.  At least I understand what happened.  Your first response gave me the impression that you were saying (since the truckless stairs were in GSX since the beginning) that I never saw them on the 737

I look forward to the next enhancement when you put SOMETHING to tow these truckless stairs to the 737.  Right now, in an external view, you still hear the engine noises even though there's no engine.  And frankly, it looks weird to me to have truckless stairs in the front and truck stairs in the rear of the SAME 737 at the SAME TIME.  I'll accept that the rear door is slightly higher than the front door.

What I'd really like to see is you making the stairs user-configurable, perhaps by placing a text configuration file used by GSX to pair stair models to certain door heights.  That way we could customize the stair choices for our installed fleet of airplanes.  Consider that a request, please.

Thanks again for all you do.  I really enjoy the product, and the way you increase my understanding of how it works by responding to questions here.

Best wishes

Tim Metzinger

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:51:55 pm »
And frankly, it looks weird to me to have truckless stairs in the front and truck stairs in the rear of the SAME 737 at the SAME TIME.  I'll accept that the rear door is slightly higher than the front door.

You figured it out. Supposed you have the airplane configured (weight) in a way that, the front door can accept only one kind of stairs, but the rear door another one, or vice-versa. Regardless how "weird" it might look, it might not always be possible to use the same type, and it would look weirder if we tried to use a model on a door that it can't reach, just because another door could.

What I'd really like to see is you making the stairs user-configurable, perhaps by placing a text configuration file used by GSX to pair stair models to certain door heights.  That way we could customize the stair choices for our installed fleet of airplanes.  Consider that a request, please.

While this seems an easy thing to do, it can be trick and complex very quickly.

For example: we might change a model animation or the whole model itself, and the new update might conflict with what you configured in the airplane, and you might never know we might have replaced it with an entirely new model, which might be the reason for changing the parameters of the one you liked.

And of course, adding an extra step to ask every time which stairs you would like to use across all suitable candidates, is both annoying (an extra step) and hardly realistic, since it's not really the pilot's job to decide which stairs you want to use.

mwyatt

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 10:16:42 am »
Is there any development yet on providing a tug or ground staff to position the smaller stairs used on 319/320 aircraft.
It still looks odd to see the stairs moving by themselves without assistance.
Best regards, Martin.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 01:50:32 pm »
Is there any development yet on providing a tug or ground staff to position the smaller stairs used on 319/320 aircraft. It still looks odd to see the stairs moving by themselves without assistance.

There's nothing new to announce. When there will be something new, you'll see it in the release notes when a Live Update notification will popout. At this time, we have way more important priorities, which are:

- Support DirectX12 in P3D V5

and

- Add support for AI for GSX jetways.