Author Topic: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet  (Read 118462 times)

neutrino

Re: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 11:40:30 pm »
Mr. James Chams, I prefer not to get into details here how the ILS/TACAN was implemented :) I am happy that I can finally practice some night carrier landings in the sim, I remember the first couple of times I tested the ILS in night conditions and low visibility (I couldn't see the carrier outside 0.3 nm !), after I trapped my pulse was 120 and my hands were shaking. And this is a simulator! It was unbelievable, I literally didn't want to try it again. I still experience this as I try to make a very precise ILS landing at night and low vis.

That's interesting, Mr. J.R. "neutrino!"

I was always led to believe, that with FS (all versions) for all navigation aids, that was a feature of the AFCAD or Scenery BGL files and ONLY worked with static runways.  In FS2002, I use to be able to create the NAV Aids independantly of their Runways (AFCAD's).  In FS9/2004 Lee Swordy's AFCAD ONLY allowed them to be implemented IF you had a FIXED Airport/Runway.

How is this achieved now?  Is it married to the Scenery Object, as in the Nimitz Carrier itself, or are you adding this feature as part of a MISSION builder, etc.?
 ???
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:42:09 pm by neutrino »

wilycoyote4

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 07:06:05 am »
Yes, you can get ILS/TACAN data for moving carriers, in free flight (on schedule or placed with the AICarriers utility) or in missions, including Javier's Nimitz.

J.R.

Mr. J. R. "neutrino,"

Can the HUD read (the DATA) for an ILS on a moving carrier as well (i.e. AICarriers/Javier's Nimitz)?

James----
Thank you for asking the question, you posted what was on my mind but you were the quicker of myself or others.

neutrino-----
Thanks for the answer.  I was able to download and just started using it.  I'll try the Javier Nimitz carrier in aicarriers and as a scheduled ai carrier.

It appears this project is under further development.  I hope to see more posts.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 03:02:11 am »
Interesting reading about aspects of carrier landings here - specifically about usefulness of the HUD (and of course there is more interspersed in report but this'll do): GS=Glideslope; FPA=Flight Path Angle rate of change

REVIEW OF THE CARRIER APPROACH CRITERIA FOR CARRIER-BASED AIRCRAFT PHASE I; FINAL REPORT

http://rhef.net/docs/HQs/NAVAIR_2002_71.pdf (2.9Mb)

"The human part of this pilot-aircraft system is limited in the ability to control multivariable  problems. A human with sufficient control authority can control one dynamic variable very precisely,  two variables precisely, three variables passably. The pilot’s performance deteriorates severely  trying to simultaneously control more than three. Fortunately, the multiple constraints of a CV  landing are satisfied by the pilot's control of just three variables – GS, lineup, and AOA. Pilot  performance is affected by the allowable tolerance of the accepted deviations, the dynamics of the  particular variable, the responsiveness of the aircraft to control inputs, the environmental  conditions, and the quality of the information used to determine GS, lineup, and AOA error. It is  important to note that tactical Naval Aviators, in the context of CV landings, speak interchangeably  about speed and AOA. Though they are reading AOA in their indicators, they refer to themselves as  either "fast" or "slow".

....Ideally, from the start of the visual pass (½ to ¾ mile aft), no radio communication takes place  between the pilot and LSO other than an optical signal or a simple radio call to confirm open two- way communication. Virtually all day landings are performed "zip lip," meaning that the pilot  receives only a flash of green lights to confirm that the aircraft is cleared to land and that the  LSO’s are monitoring the approach. At night, most landings take place with only a "Roger, Ball"  transmitted over the radio signifying the same.

....Heads-Up Displays (HUD’s), such as that found in F-14D and all F/A-18 models have dramatically  transformed the landing problem. First, an Inertial Navigation System (INS)-driven velocity vector  precisely displays the projected flightpath of the aircraft. Ashore, the velocity vector permits a  pilot to superimpose the symbology directly on the intended point of landing and achieve very  precise results. At sea, since the ship is typically moving relative to the inertial frame, the  velocity vector does not reliably indicate the point of touchdown. It does, however, provide very  precise rate information with respect to GS, with some small bias term. The typical habit for F-18  Hornet pilots is to place the Velocity Vector near the intersection of the decks (“crotch”) of the  ship, and then gauge the GS trend. In doing this, the pilot is effectively leading the ship by  placing the velocity vector at some point out in front of the wires where the ship and aircraft  trajectories will intersect. This initial placement ensures that the flightpath will very nearly  hold the aircraft on GS. The precision of the FPA data also means that the effect of an input  correction is immediately assessed in a variable that is very nearly GS rate (the state information  necessary for the pilot to attain the elevated performance). As the aircraft approaches the in-close  to at-the-ramp position, the velocity vector is allowed to drift aft to the point of touchdown. The  fielding of HUD’s largely bears the responsibility for the improvement in boarding rate demonstrated  by F-18 Hornets and F-14D model Tomcats over the aircraft that preceded them...."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:51:57 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

wilycoyote4

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 05:07:06 am »
Can't believe it.  Just did an ILS to the version 1 carrier of Javier using aicarriers, hahaha, spent too much time looking at the amazing HUD but landed 116 KIAS, catching 1wire, about 28,000 gross weight, 23% fuel, 565 feet rate of descent, full flaps.  Clumsy but that HUD was so interesting.  Clear weather.  Seas set to mid 1.

I think you've got something here.  You've a great improvement.

Don't think very many know of this development.  Or there'll be a big noise on those other forums !!!!!

Now, I've got to learn to do this in a right proper way.  My first try became a waveoff as I was high and those red flashing lights were obeyed.  Second was the clumsy trap.

Hope this helps other beta testers.  I'll take advice from all.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 05:54:26 am »
2nd try, still clumsy, but caught 1wire.
The cfg is
[Views]
eyepoint = -17.0, 0, 3.5

I used the shift+enter to raise my seat in the previous daylight post screenshot.  I did not raise my seat in this dawn screenshot.

neutrino

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 06:08:10 am »
Well, that's much better - the HUD horizon bar is now where it needs to be - on the horizon  ;D

I notice your altimeter is reading "-350" (which means you have a high barometric pressure), so you can switch to radar altitude from the panel (RDR) to get the actual altitude  8)

J.R.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:10:07 am by neutrino »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 06:10:42 am »
Wiley...

I know what you mean, its almost soo fun you forget that youre using it to land on the carrier.  To me, this was the "holy grail" for the default Hornet that I was looking for to hold me down til the SuperBug gets here.  As you can tell in some of my initial screenshots, I was all over the place just trying to take it all in and get a picture taken.  I swear I heard that controller's voice from "Airplane" in my head:  "900 ft, 300ft, 700ft, he's all over the place... what an &*$ hole."  Wonder how long Neutrino played with it before he was able to settle down to get his movie made?  Which is one of the best for FSX Hornet carrier landings, IMO.

I think you are right about the upcoming roar we will hear when this gets put out in full release.  Man, people will be clamouring for it and talking about it AT LEAST until the FSX Superbug gets here.

Anyway, glad to see you are having a good time with this

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 06:14:16 am »
Hey JR,

How are you?  Look at what youve done.  Grown men, home on saturday nite, playing a friggin flight simulator!

Actually, its not a big deal since Im stuck in Oklahoma.  But Im sure some of you others are in far better, target rich environments?!

neutrino

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:50 am »
Haha, you have to blame Aces for this  ;D

wilycoyote4

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:55 am »
Well, that's much better - the HUD horizon bar is now where it needs to be - on the horizon  ;D

I notice your altimeter is reading "-350" (which means you have a high barometric pressure), so you can switch to radar altitude from the panel (RDR) to get the actual altitude  8)

J.R.
A-ha, I did wonder about that but wasn't smart enough to click the switch, anyway, too busy taking note of the HUD display.

Pop

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 04:18:08 pm »
Did I miss it??? where is the link to this new HUD???

neutrino

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:12 pm »
Pop, you didn't miss it  ;) It is still in beta, Sludge and Wily here are beta testers and they couldn't help themselves and leak some first impressions ;D Also it's impossible to exchange screenshots in private messages. I will upload the official version on avsim, flightsim etc. as soon as we finish the beta test.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 09:07:53 pm »
Will report in messages
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:16:47 pm by wilycoyote4 »

neutrino

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2009, 09:22:03 pm »
Thanks, wily. I saw the screenshots, I'll reply in pm.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2009, 09:57:42 pm »
Why cannot the BETA testers e-mail one another? QUE?  ::)
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)