Author Topic: Isolating bglmanx.dll  (Read 1738 times)

stevenhperry

Isolating bglmanx.dll
« on: April 19, 2020, 10:58:21 pm »
Is bglmanx.dll required for all FSDT products or only GSX/GSXL2?

As part of troubleshooting a reproducible crash to desktop in P3D v4, another add-on vendor has suggested I remove GSX and try again.  The discussion centered around bglmanx.dll but I am not tech savvy enough to follow the reasoning.

I'd like to uninstall the minimum number of things to continue troubleshooting the problem.

-Steve Perry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Isolating bglmanx.dll
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 11:32:58 am »
As part of troubleshooting a reproducible crash to desktop in P3D v4, another add-on vendor has suggested I remove GSX and try again.  The discussion centered around bglmanx.dll but I am not tech savvy enough to follow the reasoning.

I think I know who the other vendor is, and he's suggesting this because a long while ago, we found P3D V4 ITSELF, crashed when asked about facilities in remote areas. No, it wasn't a bug in our code but, we only asked for facilities to the sim, and the sim crashed by itself because of some kind of bug.

The bug is still there, but we could prevent it, by simply not asking for nearby facilities while cruising ( they are required by GSX to allow you to preselect a gate before landing, so we ask the sim the list of nearby airports ), so when you are over 10K feet and/or faster than 250 kts, we don't do that request, so we prevent the sim from crashing.

That's why many people, had the impression the Addon Manager "crashed the sim", when in fact it only exposed a bug which is still there, but this lead to some users and that particular vendor, to still be absolutely convinced the bug was our fault ( "look, the fixed it!" ) so now, whenever the sim crash for any reason, they always said it's the Addon Manager/bglmanx.dll/Couatl's fault.

Yes, in theory, bglmanx.dll COULD crash the sim, since it's a .dll, but so can any other .DLL module or Gauge loaded in the sim so, as part of a troubleshooting step, you can try disabling. Yes, of course, NOTHING from FSDT will even work then, but if you want to test for your own peace of mind, that's fine.

Since our products use the proper add-on.xml, it's extremely easy to disable them temporarily, just go into the OPTIONS->Add-on menu, Disable "Fsdreamteam Addon Manager", and this will disable all our support software on the next simulator restart.

stevenhperry

Re: Isolating bglmanx.dll
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 09:06:44 pm »
If I uninstall just GSX, will the query for nearby facilities still happen?

I love your products and I love the other developer's products too.  I just hate CTDs because they ruin both add ons!