Author Topic: couatl.exe causing a BSOD  (Read 1838 times)

m007j

couatl.exe causing a BSOD
« on: April 19, 2020, 12:05:53 am »
My computer has never gotten a BSOD from Windows in 1.5 years since I built it, but I've got 2 of them in quick succession on the same day. Both around the Newfoundland/ Maine border, and both of them with the same error message. I've already run the memtest (passed) and I've updated all drivers. Memory dump from the second crash is included, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on this?

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 000024efb59bc03f, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000001, bitfield :
   bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
   bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff8057ffcd7a0, address which referenced memory

Debugging Details:
BLACKBOXWINLOGON: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  AV

PROCESS_NAME:  couatl.exe

ANALYSIS_SESSION_HOST:  DESKTOP-SA7R3OI

ANALYSIS_SESSION_TIME:  04-18-2020 18:00:35.0645

The only thing that's been updated is the new NVIDIA drivers, do we think it's not playing nice with couatl?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: couatl.exe causing a BSOD
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:12:56 pm »
What makes you think Couatl "CAUSED" this ?

As explained, so many times in this forum, Couatl CANNOT CRASH THE SIM, because it's an .EXE and by definition, an .EXE CANNOT cause a crash in the sim.  In your case, the crash is not even happening in the sim, it's something more low-level, see here:

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

I can see what you are being mislead it's a "Couatl fault", because you then see PROCESS_NAME:  couatl.exe but that doesn't mean Couatl CAUSED the crash, what caused the crash was the driver, since ONLY a driver can cause a BSOD, normal applications runs on different privilege level so, unless they also install a diver ( which surely isn't the case ), it's technically impossible for a normal application to cause a BSOD.

I think Couatl.exe was reported only because it might be the running application while the BSOD report was generated, so it's misleading you.

The only thing that's been updated is the new NVIDIA drivers, do we think it's not playing nice with couatl?

Couatl it's just a Python interpreter, and doesn't have any relationship with anything related to video drivers, and doesn't do anything graphic-related. It just use Simconnect to send orders to the sim to create objects, which the sim will create on its own.

So yes, it's technically possible that, if there's a video driver problem, or bug, or wrong tweak or wrong settings that, when an otherwise perfectly legal object is created, for some reason the video driver crashed, you might easily mislead it's either GSX or Couatl, because they sent the order to the sim.

However, is quite puzzling you see this in that location. I assume you were cruising at high altitude ? If yes, GSX is completely disabled over 10K feet, that's to prevent a known bug in P3D4 that, when nearby airports are queried in remote areas, the simulator *itself* crashes, so we just don't do any queries when cruising to prevent this.

However, this used to cause ( before we stopped GSX over 10K feet ) a crash in just the sim, never a BSOD because, even P3D itself, cannot cause a BSOD, since it's a standard application. Only a driver can do that.

Again, the location seems strange because, if it were a video driver bug crashing because GSX tried to create an otherwise perfectly correct object, it shouldn't happen *there* because GSX only creates object with you are on ground.

Basically, over 10K feet, they only thing our software does, is to read your position, and see if you go lower to 10K feet, to eventually reactivate GSX, which will also not do much, other than checking the nearby airports, to allow you to select a gate while in flight. It's only after you select a gate, that "graphic" things will start to happen, which could potentially involve the video driver.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:23:34 pm by virtuali »