Author Topic: Purpose of rear stairs when jetway exists  (Read 4905 times)

glc100o

Purpose of rear stairs when jetway exists
« on: March 01, 2020, 11:58:51 pm »
I operate mostly at US airports with a jetway. The GSX  default appears to be to have rear stairs come up to the back exit of the aircraft, which I personally never see at real life US airports with a jetway for boarding. With GSX I  never see animated passengers using the rear stairway, so I wonder what the purpose of the rear stairway is that is comes default for these airports?

If I park at a gate without a jetway then both front and rear stairways appear and passengers deplane though both, as expected.

Thanks,

Greg

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Purpose of rear stairs when jetway exists
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 01:02:27 am »
No idea, but I personally just go in and disable them. You have to go into the customize GSX parking, select the parking, then select disable stairs.
Captain Kevin

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 05:04:48 am »
 Easy enough to just disable the rear stairs in GSX. Once it's done, it's saved. You could also just disable the left rear door on the aircraft. Customize it the way you want it!

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 01:06:06 pm »
You could also just disable the left rear door on the aircraft.
You could, I don't know if you really want to unless you were absolutely sure you were never going to use the plane on a hard stand.
Captain Kevin

glc100o

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 08:55:21 pm »
Thanks,
Its kind of  a hassle to have to disable the staircases at each individual airport I might fly to. But I assume one goes to the airport, and goes to the root of the Parking Editor to select all the gates and choose 'Disable Staircases" But does  "Disable Staircases" mean all staircases front and back exits , or just the rear staircases? Because I would like to retain the option of having at least front staircases work when I am not at a gate with a jetway otherwise no one can get off!

It seems simpler to just disable the left rear door on a given aircraft to achieve the effect of having no rear staircases ever, and it is universal for the plane at any airport, and easier to undo.

Greg

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 09:07:13 pm »
Disable stairs disables all the stairs. That said, you would select each gate that you would want to disable them at, so if there's a gate that doesn't have a jetway, just don't select that gate when you go through this.
Captain Kevin

glc100o

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:57:18 pm »
Ok, I understand it now, Thanks!

Greg

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 10:01:46 pm »
You could, I don't know if you really want to unless you were absolutely sure you were never going to use the plane on a hard stand.

True, but if it came to a place where you wanted the rear door you re-enable it and restart couatl.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:08:35 pm »
True, but if it came to a place where you wanted the rear door you re-enable it and restart couatl.
I mean, if you want to give yourself more work, have at it. I like to have everything set BEFORE I start a flight and not get hung up on sorting everything out when I'm in the middle of the flight, especially since I do live streams of my flights and I fly on VATSIM. Last thing I want to be doing is causing unnecessary delays just trying to sort GSX out.
Captain Kevin

glc100o

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 11:37:36 pm »
I just disabled the left rear door on all of my aircraft. Maybe not fully realistic but more functional at every gate with or without a jetway and much quicker for me to set it up. Works fine at jetways and at parking areas without a jetway they just have to wait and come out the front.

Greg

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 12:32:49 am »
I mean, if you want to give yourself more work, have at it. I like to have everything set BEFORE I start a flight and not get hung up on sorting everything out when I'm in the middle of the flight, especially since I do live streams of my flights and I fly on VATSIM. Last thing I want to be doing is causing unnecessary delays just trying to sort GSX out.

Each to his own, but it would pretty much take the same time as it does to start your vatsim client.

It's also just the rear door, leave those details for the cabin crew, it's not something for the flight deck crew to worry about.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 01:00:00 pm »
As explained many times, the rear stairs is commonly used in real life for the cleaning crew. Maybe not as common in the US, but it's very common around the world so, GSX defaults to creating one, and let users the ability to disabled it.

Of course, like everything else in the GSX customization editor, you can apply a setting to many parking spots at once, no need to do every parking.

So, just click the button that select all parking spots with a jetway, click "Disable stairs", Apply, and that airport is done.

gevan

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 07:38:12 pm »
As explained many times, the rear stairs is commonly used in real life for the cleaning crew. Maybe not as common in the US, but it's very common around the world so, GSX defaults to creating one, and let users the ability to disabled it.

Of course, like everything else in the GSX customization editor, you can apply a setting to many parking spots at once, no need to do every parking.

So, just click the button that select all parking spots with a jetway, click "Disable stairs", Apply, and that airport is done.

I was looking for this tutorial and finally found it  :)

Thanks for sharing it, Umberto.

craigdwat

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 10:49:29 pm »
Also, in Europe many airlines will use a Jetway and walk-on-walk-off boarding rear steps if there is a safe sensible route to the rear steps to and from the gate or arrivals channel.

Usually it will be a time saving method to aid the turnaround. In Europe it is almost unknown to connect an airbridge to a 100+ capacity aircraft without rear steps for servicing or safety provision.

It is common for low cost carriers to agree combining airbridge and rear steps.