Author Topic: Live update leaving P3D unresponsive to clicks/keyboard inputs  (Read 3523 times)

w6kd

Live update leaving P3D unresponsive to clicks/keyboard inputs
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »
I've been having intermittent issues for several months with P3D v4.5 loading into a state where the clickspots and keyboard inputs in P3D are all unresponsive.  I started logging them, and the only time it happens is immediately after the automatic live update window appears in the sim during startup.  It appears that it is not releasing focus back to the sim when it closes.  It's happened 13 times now...the only apparent commonality is Live Update--otherwise it's different aircraft add-ons, different airports, with and without weather etc.  The only way to get out is to kill P3D from the task manager...none of the menu options work within the sim when it happens.

So I disabled Live Update in the couatl drop-down menu to make it stop, and once a week or so I run Live Update manually from outside the sim, after making a backup of the Addon Manager directory.

Unhappily, it seems that Live Update, when run manually, is also resetting the automatic update setting in the sim from "disabled" back to "enabled."  I'd really appreciate it if you would leave that setting to persist where I explicitly set it.

Bob Scott

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Live update leaving P3D unresponsive to clicks/keyboard inputs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:42 pm »
I cannot reproduce the Live Update window problem. That's a standard Simconnect menu that doesn't do anything other than waiting for your input, and we don't control anything of the keyboard handling while the window is there, and we don't even control the focus.

What other add-ons you have that starts with the sim ?

w6kd

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:16:31 pm »
Addons that start with the sim:
  FSUIPC
  OpusFSI
  FFTF Dynamic
  ActiveSky (as_btstrp_config_manager and as_connect)
  AutogenConfigurationMerger
  CaptainSim sound
  RAASPRO
  PMDG_Interface
  PMDG_Hud_Interface
  Milviz-Rex WX Radar
  Orbxflow
  FSL Spotlights
  SODE

Is there a way to force the triggering of the automatic Live Update in the sim (e.g. change the last-update date, remove a file etc)?  Right now I have to wait until the next one comes along to see if any change I make might fix it.

I can live with manual updates, but I don't want the update re-enabliing automatic updates after I've explicitly disabled them.

Regards

Bob Scott
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 06:18:53 pm by w6kd »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:12:45 pm »
Is there a way to force the triggering of the automatic Live Update in the sim

No, there isn't, you can only manually check for updates. That one works ?

w6kd

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »
By manual, I mean running Live Update directly without the sim running.  Yes, that works, except that it resets the auto-update selection to "enabled"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 09:31:58 am »
By manual, I mean running Live Update directly without the sim running.

I was asking if the "Check for Updates" from the Live Update -> Addons menu works, trying to understand if it's the *automatic* notification that has a problem in your system, or it's the actual Live Update menu.

bob34

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 05:13:01 pm »
This happened to me today. And it's happened a few times before.

I start P3D, load my aircraft, all my external programs (weather, EFB etc..) and suddenly FSDT Live Update pop-up screen.
I click on "no" or update later or whatever the "no" choice is, then the P3D menu system doesn't work with mouse anymore and the enter key is disabled.
Keyboard navigation works via the alt-arrow keys, but you can't click or use the enter key on any choices.
Switching full screen to window and back doesn't fix this.

Once the FSDT screen is dismissed that's the end of all mouse control in P3D.
If the update is accepted, then everything works fine.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 10:33:13 pm »
If the update is accepted, then everything works fine.

I'm not sure what do you mean with "accepted". There's no option that accepts or performs an update. The closest to an "accept", doesn't do anything, it only display a message asking to quite the sim and run the FSDT Live Update from the Desktop.

The other two options shows the release notes, and Ignore the update. Both are working fine and no keyboard/mouse is affected.

In addition to that, please note that what you are looking at, it's not a "GSX menu", or an "FSDT menu", it's the standard Simconnect menu that is used by all add-ons, and mouse and keyboard handling is done by the sim entirely outside our control.

Since it doesn't happen here, I can only guess there must be some interference from one of your other add-ons, possibly one using that menu, since there's only one Simconnect menu, and it's shared by all add-ons. The first obvious test is trying if this happens again with everything else disabled except GSX.