Author Topic: Can't update GSX  (Read 3794 times)

ScottW

Can't update GSX
« on: November 03, 2019, 07:39:11 pm »
When I open FSX:SE I get a message saying that GSX won't open and I have to update the Addon Manager [I have GSX2]. It takes me to the page to download the Addon Manager which tells me that I now have to run FSDT Live Update instead. I do that, everything seems to load, but I get the same message again. I also happen to be at KDFW where your scenery is installed, and get a message saying the trial version of the scenery has begun. But when I go to the Addon Manager, it tells me that the scenery is registered [I have a registered copy].

I've tried to run Live Update a few times but always get the same result.

I could use some guidance.

Thanks,
Scott

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't update GSX
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 12:42:21 pm »
When I open FSX:SE I get a message saying that GSX won't open and I have to update the Addon Manager

The message doesn't say just that. It suggests you to open the error log, to see the error details, which is what you are supposed to do when reporting a problem.

ScottW

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »
Actually it pretty much says exactly that, with no mention of an error log: "The addon GSX is out-dated. Please download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager." Clicking Okay takes me to your download site that says to run FSDT Live Update, which I did.

I then received another error message: "Your copy of bglmanx.dll is outdated." And then another instruction to run Live Update.

Messages attached.

Scott

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 01:39:07 pm »
And did you run the Live Update?
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 01:43:41 pm »
Actually it pretty much says exactly that, with no mention of an error log:

Since your description of the message wasn't accurate ( you said "I get a message saying that GSX won't open", which doesn't exists ), I assumed you got the message asking to open the error log, which is the more common one. That's one is fare less likely to appear and of course it also tells you what to do, which is running the FSDT Live Update.

And then another instruction to run Live Update.

If you still get that message after running the Live Update, the only possible explanations are:

- You ran the Live Update when the simulator was still running, making it impossible to update the .DLL. That's why the message told you to close the simulator first.

OR

- Your antivirus or firewall is blocking the update. Disable any firewall, and configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder, then run the FSDT Live Update again.

ScottW

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 03:58:46 am »
I certainly did not run the Live Update while the simulator was running. I have also successfully run it in the past

I already have couatl.exe and couatl_updater.exe allowed by my anti-virus. But I will try running it again with the anti-virus off and see if it allows it this time.

ScottW

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:01:57 pm »
I have just run FSDT Live Update with my anti-virus and firewall turned off. Everything seemed to install properly, but I'm still getting these messages:

The only thing I noticed was that FSX asked if I wanted to run both the Addon Manager and the Addon Manager 32-bit. I don't know whether that's normal but thought it was worth mentioning.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 03:12:08 pm »
The only thing I noticed was that FSX asked if I wanted to run both the Addon Manager and the Addon Manager 32-bit. I don't know whether that's normal but thought it was worth mentioning.

No, of course is not normal.

It seems you installed an OLD version of the Addon Manager, or an old version of a product that comes with the Addon Manager *AFTER* you ran the FSDT Live Update, so now you have two copies of it, which shouldn't happen normally, since the CURRENT version of any product that comes with the Addon Manager will remove every old copy installed by the old installers, but if you reinstall an old version after the new one, you'll end with two copies, since the old installer cannot possibly know a future version would install in a different location.

If you do the correct procedure, and NEVER install an OLD version of a product that came with the Addon Manager *after* you have installed a later version, the message will surely won't appear and you won't see two version of the Addon Manager loaded.

Just to be sure you clean up everything:

- Uninstall each and every product that comes with the Addon Manager. Reply "YES" to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" which is made at the end.

- Reinstall ONLY using the LATEST version of the installers.

- DO NOT install anything older after you installed something that use the new Addon Manager with the new Live Update.