Author Topic: FSX F-18 Tinkering  (Read 32821 times)

wilycoyote4

Re: FSX F-18 Tinkering
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:38:27 am »
I meant "freeware" -----yes the air file from the FSX Blue Angels website.  Head movement was disabled ----in the fsx.cfg file if I recall correctly. 

Yes, taxiing at high speed isn't normal.  I'm talking about the default Hornet "tipping" too much when turning at even slow taxi speeds.  This is greatly reduced now but slow taxi is neccessary especially on deck.  I did change the nosewheel turn angle to a greater angle as seen in videos of real aircraft.

Now, when I trap on a carrier, the landing is much smoother as "tipping over" is so greatly reduced.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 10:35:27 am »
Alrighty fellas...

On a NEW tinkering subject, just got done getting the full screen HUD fixed.  So for those of you that have the new HUD installed and want NOTHING in the way, I hope you like this one.  Granted, I wasnt able to put the indexer in there, but I'm sure someone here can do that, or if I get the time tomorrow, I will give it a shot.

Here is what you need to add to your panel.cfg file:

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window00]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=456,378
position=4
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
alpha_blend=0.95
window_size=0.3,0.52
window_pos=0.35,0.35

gauge00=fa18_hud!fa18_hud, 0, 0, 456, 378,

You can mess with the window_pos (x is the 0.35 value) to align the horizon line how you want, but it stays pretty close to the correct orientation once you get it setup how you like it.
Enjoy the pic, I'm out for the nite
Laterz
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22:46 pm »
Sludge, without having tried it but by looking at your excellent screenshot that new HUD looks very useful - without too much 'green stuff' getting in the way. Thanks very much for your work on it. I'll give it a try soonish.  8)

Just had a quick tryout and thought: Is it possible to get rid of the digital clock in the HUD altogether? It is one green bit right in the way of looking at the mirror on finals. Thanks.

Also in the last line of the new config: "gauge00=fa18_hud!fa18_hud, 0, 0, 456, 378," there was a '4' at the end in the old config. What was/is the '4' for?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:38:07 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:25:02 pm »
Spaz...
No problem.  I remember you were wanting something like that earlier, so I figured what the heck, give it a whirl and see what comes up.  Even landed on the carrier with the full screen HUD, as it seems responsive without alot of framerate loss.  You can adjust the "window_pos" to make the artificial horizon line up with the real horizon around 8.1 AoA using +/- .1 increments.  As I was up late, I think positive value goes down and a negative goes up, but I'm sure you can experiment and see where that leads you.  Also, if you dont come up with a window that shows the indexer, I will try to do something of that sort when I get home today.

Wily...
By "crash" I was meaning on cat shots, when you get to the end and it crashes into the end for whatever reason and those settings wont allow you to launch off the boat.  You get the "end mission" crash at the end of the cat stroke, thats my definition. BTW, what are your gear settings?  Ive altered mine for more strut strength (.6000 vs .9000) and changed the COG to -34.20, so its much more stable when taxiing.  I saw you postings in other threads and forums, but wasnt sure what you settled on, so could you send my way?  Would like to try them out... 

Laterz
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:17 pm »
Sludge---

Here are the contact points for gear that I use and prefer at this time.  I use these for both the C and D Hornet.  I'm not able to find the original forum post where I got the contact points, not yet.

Note----nose wheel steering is 75 degrees which is my setting.

point.0= 1, -8.00, 0.00, -6.50, 3900, 0, 0.6349, 75.0, 0.2000, 3.5, 0.6100, 3.0, 3.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1= 1, -35.50, -9.90, -7.60, 3900, 1, 0.6349, 0.0, 1.2, 1.6, 0.5456, 3.9, 3.9, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2= 1, -35.50, 9.90, -7.60, 3900, 2, 0.6349, 0.0, 1.2, 1.6, 0.5456, 3.7, 3.7, 3, 0.0, 0.0

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:10:07 pm by wilycoyote4 »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 01:07:12 am »
Spaz...
Well, I get rid of the clock by using the HUD Control Panel.  I get it to read simply "00", which has been good enough for me.  Just bring up the HUD control and cycle thru the clock switches til you get that... sorry, thats the best I have for now.  As far as the ",4" I think it meant "no scanlines"?  I'm basing that on reading the very original default Hornet and before modifying it for the new HUD, it says ", 4, no scanlines".  Thats my best guess, definately not sure though.

Wily...
Much thanks!  Will try those out.  Before I do, any reason you use such a wide wheelbase (ie the -9.90, 9.90)?  Has it made things more stable?  As well as the -8.00 for the nosegear, unless thats a misprint just missing the "1"?  In my config, I tried to keep maintain the specs to a certain degree but as we all know, sometimes that doesnt work out.  So far, my tricycle dimension have been OK (-18.00 and -35.80), but will try yours out to see what happens.

Laterz
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 01:20:09 am »
I didn't make it.  I copied it from a post on a forum but I can't recall where.  It seems to help so I use it.  I don't know who posted it.

Of course, there is more to carrier flying.

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 01:49:21 am »
Sludge, thanks for checking. I'll set the minimal clock as required.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:28 am »
I am not "crashing" in missions or in free flight.  Detect damage is checked as well. 

A trap example is shown.  The important thing is that it was smooth not trying to tip over or flop around.  A cat 4 launch is shown and an F/A-18D VC trap is shown -----at heavier weight.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 06:30:37 pm »
WilyCoyote...

Ok, just wanted to know what your results were and how it worked for you.  Thanks for the feedback.  I just got done trying out your settings last nite (I'm at work now) and it looked very uncompressed, so I went back to my settings.  Your advice on my setup was helpful though, especially the unstableness in taxiing even at low taxi speeds, which I rectified.  All in all, minus a working carrier TACAN/ILS, I've been pretty happy with the Hornet at this point.  I recently even bought the Capt Sim addon, so I can use that one along with other settings.  Its alot of fun.

Anyway, again thanks for the feedback and it was cool to see your pics and the info. included.  BTW, have you seen some of the newer YouTube videos that others have posted with the New HUD?  I guess our collective HUD replacement work is getting its own life now outside of this forum...  thats the point right?  To experiment and if successful, pass that knowledge on to others.  Much credit to DOUM as well, he was alot of help there!

Laterz
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 10:01:43 pm »
WilyCoyote...I just got done trying out your settings last nite (I'm at work now) and it looked very uncompressed, so I went back to my settings.  Your advice on my setup was helpful though, especially the unstableness in taxiing even at low taxi speeds, which I rectified.
Does this mean a newer contact points modification has been made by you?  If so, will it be available for download?

All in all, minus a working carrier TACAN/ILS, I've been pretty happy with the Hornet at this point.  I recently even bought the Capt Sim addon, so I can use that one along with other settings.  Its alot of fun.
Can a non-moving carrier can be made to have a TACAN/ILS ?

Anyway, again thanks for the feedback and it was cool to see your pics and the info. included.  BTW, have you seen some of the newer YouTube videos that others have posted with the New HUD?  I guess our collective HUD replacement work is getting its own life now outside of this forum...  thats the point right?  To experiment and if successful, pass that knowledge on to others.  Much credit to DOUM as well, he was alot of help there!

Laterz
Sludge

Is there a final version of the HUD?

The XLoad F/A-18D would not hold on the cat with its default contact points --- is that true for you?  The contact points I use solved that.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:11:42 pm by wilycoyote4 »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 11:58:17 pm »
WilyCoyote...
Yes, although not much different from what I posted in my earlier aircraft.cfg file.
1. CG change from default -32.20 (more towards nosegear) to -34.20 (towards MLG)
empty_weight_CG_position = -34.20, 0, -0.6
2. Contact points.  So far, these have been great.  The main change has been going from .3500 and 1.6 (nose gear) to .2000 and 2.2, as well as from .9000 and 1.1, to .6000 and 1.2 (MLG) for strut strength and dynamic compression respectively.  I upped the damping ratio, but really havent noticed if that makes a big difference or not.
point.0=1, -18.00,  0.00, -6.40, 3600, 0, 1.0349, 75.0, 0.2000, 2.2, 0.9100, 3.0, 3.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1=1, -35.80, -6.00, -6.70, 3600, 1, 1.2349,  0.0, 0.6000, 1.2, 0.8456, 3.9, 3.9, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2=1, -35.80,  6.00, -6.70, 3600, 2, 1.2349,  0.0, 0.6000, 1.2, 0.8456, 3.7, 3.7, 3, 0.0, 0.0
The final version realistic HUD I now use, which includes a centered full cockpit version, I can send in my panel.cfg file.  You have to download and install the KBT SuperHornet HUD files and then just apply them as discussed in the "f-18 HUD waterline" thread along with DOUM's bank/clock/GPSwaypoint mods.

I thought I read somewhere that it was a "brute force" workaround that some FSX'ers were doing for multiplayer making a non-moving TACAN/ILS for a carrier in San Francisco Bay?  Forgot where, though.

IF you find out anything about that, be sure to let me know.
Laterz
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 06:51:50 am »
I believe I have the thread where I got the contact points.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17856

I tried your contact points but crashed trapping often, maybe all the time.  I'm using my old contact points.  I shall try the new HUD next.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 09:47:41 am »
Mr SPAZ...

Been working on the HUD again and I have some good news for you.  Just finished making a movable Indexer for both the FullScreen HUD, and the Virtual Cockpit.  Also, when you fly with the full screen open cockpit, if you zoom back to .80 the horizon line will stay decently correlated to the actual horizon, up to 10 deg nose up/down for me soo far.

With this panel.cfg, you can either simply backup your own panel, then rewrite yours with this one or you can manually edit yours with my new indexer info.  The only things you have to edit are the window tiles, just add it as Window04=Indexer, and then add the actual "[Window04]" section to your panel.cfg file.  Its up to you if you dont wanna spoil your own panel file with my settings for radio and the VC HUD that I use.

Enjoy the screenshots and hope you get alot of miles out of this...
Laterz
Sludge

SpazSinbad

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 10:42:09 am »
Sludge, It looks brilliant!  :o Thanks very much for figuring that all out. Looks very useful. I'll have to give it a try.

OK. Next question. Would it be possible to have the carrier mirror (I guess it could be done with a zoomed secondary window perhaps) in the top left hand corner of the FULL VIEW HUD without any unnecessary extras for carrier landings? So in view would be AoA indexer and altitude and heading with the mirror in top left?

If it is not possible then thanks for trying to get that if you do. Being able to see the mirror from at least a distance where the carrier line up is visible somewhat (if not accurate at least in the ball park) that would be excellent. TIA.