Author Topic: Request for vram friendly models  (Read 1889 times)

Ioan92

Request for vram friendly models
« on: October 07, 2019, 01:46:37 am »
Hello, ever since the PBR update was released, the performance while GSX is running has been absolutely abysmal. I know that it is a VRAM related issue but I think we should have an option to use the old models.

thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Request for vram friendly models
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:53 am »
You can reduce the VRAM requirement by lowering the max texture size, the slider is there for a reason.

You don't say anything about your system but, if you are low on VRAM, it's because your settings are too high for your system so, you might have to reduce some of them (like LOD radius, Autogen, etc.), GSX cannot obviously be the problem by itself but, it's clear that, if you were very *CLOSE* to VRAM exhaustion, it would be enough to just add something more detailed, and it would break up, not because of GSX, but because you were already too close to VRAM exhaustion before.

Ioan92

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:14:03 pm »
You can reduce the VRAM requirement by lowering the max texture size, the slider is there for a reason.

You don't say anything about your system but, if you are low on VRAM, it's because your settings are too high for your system so, you might have to reduce some of them (like LOD radius, Autogen, etc.), GSX cannot obviously be the problem by itself but, it's clear that, if you were very *CLOSE* to VRAM exhaustion, it would be enough to just add something more detailed, and it would break up, not because of GSX, but because you were already too close to VRAM exhaustion before.

I have a GTX 980 and while it only has 4GB of video memory, it was enough for the 2 years I've been using P3D, and is still fine whenever your addon isn't loaded. GSX is the problem because the models and textures are more detailed than necessary. I would really appreciate, and feel many others would appreciate it if you gave a thought to those of us that don't have the means to buy an 11GB video card and provide lower detail models and textures.. because why should we gut our settings for something that only affects us at the start and ending of a flight? Seems like a waste to me, wouldn't you agree?

What's wrong with the old models anyway? they looked great even without the fancy PBR..

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 05:34:47 pm »
GSX is the problem because the models and textures are more detailed than necessary.

GSX is not the problem, your settings too high for a 4GB card are, because GSX *added* to what you ALREADY had, like airplane textures "more detailed than necessary" or scenery textures "more detailed than necessary".

I would really appreciate, and feel many others would appreciate it if you gave a thought to those of us that don't have the means to buy an 11GB video card and provide lower detail models and textures..

There's no need to do that, because you can lower your settings.

because why should we gut our settings for something that only affects us at the start and ending of a flight? Seems like a waste to me, wouldn't you agree?

What do you mean with "gut our settings" ?

Just lower your settings before starting the flight and raise them back again after you don't need GSX anymore. Are you aware you can SAVE and LOAD a set of graphic settings ?