Author Topic: German accent: A little over the top  (Read 1739 times)

disco79stu

German accent: A little over the top
« on: September 22, 2019, 09:11:01 am »
I really like the new step in the development but as a small feedback, I find the german accent a little over the top. It sounds like a cliche parody of a german done by a comedian :)
I never heard anybody say „shtart at ville“ in the business, like they a are talking english for the first time in their life....
Maybe you can tune that „germanish“ a bit down in an update and make them a little more professional... :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:17:07 am by disco79stu »

Airmaz1

Re: German accent: A little over the top
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:46:41 pm »
This has made me want to fly to Germany now.  ;D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:06:32 am »
The German "guy" is actually a robot (so he's not offended by having called him "unprofessional"), since German it's one of the voices which use text-to-speech and, not all languages comes very well when using a voice from one language, but configured to speak in another language, which is possible, but clearly not as good as if the same voice was instructed to speak in his own language.

Those synthetic voices are basically placeholders, which will be eventually replaced by real voices as soon as we get them, the important thing was to get the software support in.

But don't discount the fact (confirmed by the post from Airmaz1), that some users might even find funny hearing that kind of heavy accent...

disco79stu

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 08:53:51 am »
The German "guy" is actually a robot (so he's not offended by having called him "unprofessional"), since German it's one of the voices which use text-to-speech and, not all languages comes very well when using a voice from one language, but configured to speak in another language, which is possible, but clearly not as good as if the same voice was instructed to speak in his own language.

Those synthetic voices are basically placeholders, which will be eventually replaced by real voices as soon as we get them, the important thing was to get the software support in.

But don't discount the fact (confirmed by the post from Airmaz1), that some users might even find funny hearing that kind of heavy accent...

Thanks for the reply! Oh wow, I honestly did not know it was TTS! ... that explains it I guess. But I still look forward to the more natural way the voices will maybe eventually be. The "GSX soundpack" over at AviationLads did this quite well in my opinion (though no german accent). Regarding the "funnyness" of the voices, I don't know if that sould be the focus of GSX :) ... I guess some people might find it funny if Homer Simpson does the pushback, but..... :)