Author Topic: P3Dv3 GSX Menu only has "Disable", and GSX doesn't work  (Read 6823 times)

bryn

Re: P3Dv3 GSX Menu only has "Disable", and GSX doesn't work
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 07:58:36 pm »
This certainly looks like the registry keys are pointing to the right places:

Bryn.

bryn

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 08:04:58 pm »
I've worked it out. You don't just check for the existence of the prepar3d.exe file. You must be checking other information as well. Maybe the file date or headers. So the fix is to go to control panel and repair Prepar3d.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 11:07:29 pm »
I've worked it out. You don't just check for the existence of the prepar3d.exe file. You must be checking other information as well. Maybe the file date or headers. So the fix is to go to control panel and repair Prepar3d.

As I've said, the updater checks the registry keys and the existence of the prepar3d.exe file in the locations pointed by those keys. In your screenshots, you only show the registry keys under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node, but there should be also keys under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE so, either these were missing, or they were pointing to other folders.

Which explains why repairing the P3D installation fixed the issue, because it restored/fixed the keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

olseric

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 05:39:51 am »
Was there a fix to this?  I'm having the same issue, but with P3D v2...my v4 installation works fine.

I did, however, get this from Couatl.err:

Code: [Select]
couatl v3.2 (build 4262)
panic log started on Mon Sep 23 21:20:14 2019

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
{'Airport': 'KOMA'}
Error: exception CREATE_OBJECT_FAILED in call AICreateSimulatedObject param #1 'FSDT_TB3_STANDARD_RP_39_19_static'
Error: exception CREATE_OBJECT_FAILED in call AICreateSimulatedObject param #1 'FSDT_TB3_STANDARD_RP_39_19_static'
reset FSDT_GSX_DEICING_STATE to 0
User collision geometries reloaded

EDIT:  And as I saw in another post, I'm attaching a log file in ZIP format if that helps you.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:20:53 am by olseric »

bryn

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 01:21:04 pm »
If it’s my problem (though it doesn’t look like it with the log), it’s either going to be the registry keys (what Umberto thinks caused it and could’ve created my problem) or unexpected  header information in the prepar3d  executable (what I know caused it because I had edited it myself). Earlier versions of the updater didn’t check this information or accepted what I had done (changing the productVersion) but the new updates didn’t like that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:26:10 pm by bryn »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 03:07:37 pm »
Earlier versions of the updater didn’t check this information or accepted what I had done (changing the productVersion) but the new updates didn’t like that.

The updater must check the version, otherwise it couldn't possibly know if the version of the sim supports the add-on.xml, P3D3, for example, supports the add-on.xml method only starting with 3.4 so, it's not enough to "just" check if the Prepar3d.exe is there, but we MUST check the version as well.

Same for P3D4, in order to know if PBR is available, the version must be checked, since it's only available starting with 4.4.

Very briefly, don't edit the version of the .EXE manually. If you have a legacy add-on that doesn't install without changing the version, install the add-on and change it back to the original.

bryn

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 04:40:32 pm »
Yeh, I understand. It’s just some legacy (very legacy!) add ons check the version at runtime. In no way do I expect this to be an FSDT problem though! At some point my rickety setup for older stuff will crumble - this was just an initial tremor.

olseric

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 05:22:15 am »
Ok, so, are we talking about the same issue here or do I have a separate issue with my install (it appears similar).

Even after I reinstalled it and put the serial back in P3D2, it still crashes and tells me I need to install the latest version of the standalone addon manager (which, I obviously have been running the FSDT Live Update).

--EDIT--

Just ran the updater again, this time, I'm getting scenery generated with errors...here's the log.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:40:55 am by olseric »