Author Topic: Anyone live near KFLL?  (Read 4778 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Anyone live near KFLL?
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:19:46 pm »
I was in Ft. Lauderdale last week for 5 days on vacation. I flew into KMIA from KDFW because I got a better deal than if I had flow into KFLL. Anyways, one day after the beach I drove over to KFLL and found the spotting area. It was really cool that they have a speaker so that you can listen to ATC. I was really blow away by how much the FSDT version of KFLL matches the real version when there in person. It really gives you a sense of how good FSDT's work is when you actually visit an airport that they have done in real life.

When I got home on Sunday I fired up FSX and flew around KFLL a bit and was really in awe of how it looks after being at the real aiport. I even saw the spotting area in the FSDT version.

Thanks to FSDT for doing such a nice job on KFLL.

BTW, does anyone know if you can listen to KFLL tower online? I was wondering since they broadcast over the speaker if they also had a feed online to listen to. I was surprised that after spotting a few days there how many female ATC's they have. I don't think I have ever heard so many different femal ATC's in one airport.

sundance70

Re: Anyone live near KFLL?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:23:49 pm »
I listen to it all the time on my ipod touch with an app called LiveATC.net. I am pretty sure you can get it on a PC as well for free at the same address.

Sorry that Ft Lauderdale Exec I listen to.
Regards,

David
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:26:46 pm by sundance70 »
Asus P8P67 deluxe Motherboard
Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHZ OC @ 4.8GHZ
2 x 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600MHZ Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 570 SC - Rev 296.10
ECO ALC Cool IT system
2 x 1TB Seagate HD drives 32Mo cache
Thermalake ToughPwr 1.2KW ATX PSU
22"+18.5" SAMSUNG
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Track IR 5
Saitek X-65F

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:29:56 pm »
I live near there,

They had a feed up which was really good. But then the guy that was hosting it moved away and offered someone else to host it but no one offered. So it was shutdown.

Yes they do have alot of women ATC haha. How long did you stay at the airport?
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:15 pm »
I went to the spotting area last Wed, Thurs, and Friday after the beach, usually around 4 pm. I went to the beach over by Hooters on A1A and Los Olas. It was a pretty quick drive to get to the airport.It's funny that every day I went to the spotting area there was this lady in a small maroon suv there watching and doing crossword puzzles, lol.

Your really lucky that you live there. My gf and I want to move there really bad, but my gf needs to find a job first before we move. We visit friends that live in Aventura and they are always try to talk us into just packing up and moving. It's really beautiful in south Florida, more so than here in Dallas  :(

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:54:31 pm »
Nice, yea there is always weird people that go to the airport and sit there for 8+ hours everyday and not look at the planes.

So how many wanna be cops drove by at the airport? haha. I say this because they work for the county and they drive real slow past the viewing area and ruin good picture moments to act like there going to stop terrorism. :P
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

SirIsaac726

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:54:18 am »
As someone else said, FLL is not covered by LiveAtc.net.....yet.  They are always adding airports and I'm sure if you head to their forums and request FLL, someone may be inclined to set up their scanner for ya' so that everyone can hear.

But www.liveatc.net is a wonderful website!  I spend hours listening to my home airport (KBOS).

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:42:42 am »
Nice, yea there is always weird people that go to the airport and sit there for 8+ hours everyday and not look at the planes.

So how many wanna be cops drove by at the airport? haha. I say this because they work for the county and they drive real slow past the viewing area and ruin good picture moments to act like there going to stop terrorism. :P

I can imagine. There was one guy sitting in his car and looked like he was stoned or something. The first day I went, there were 3 guys in a pickup sitting in lawn chairs in the back of the pickup watching traffic. I was surprised because they didn't look like the type who would be into aviation, more like tractor pulls or something of that nature.

I can say I was relatively surprised at how many people I saw there during those hours. I wouldn't think that many people would know about the spotting area since its off the beated path.

I only saw what looked to be a security gard in a white suv drive by once the first day I was there, but that was the only one.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:44:17 am »
As someone else said, FLL is not covered by LiveAtc.net.....yet.  They are always adding airports and I'm sure if you head to their forums and request FLL, someone may be inclined to set up their scanner for ya' so that everyone can hear.

But www.liveatc.net is a wonderful website!  I spend hours listening to my home airport (KBOS).

I checked out the site and saw they had Ft. Lauderdale Exectuive. Hopefully they will add KFLL or KMIA some time. Pretty neat site though. I listened to my local KDFW tower for a while and they were pretty busy.