Author Topic: P3Dv3 GSX Menu only has "Disable", and GSX doesn't work  (Read 6842 times)

bryn

P3Dv3 GSX Menu only has "Disable", and GSX doesn't work
« on: September 01, 2019, 08:57:54 pm »
I have GSX 2 installed in P3Dv4 and P3Dv3. P3Dv4 is working fine.

However in P3Dv3, the only item in my GSX menu is "Disable".

My Couatl.log (attached) has these lines.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".\GSX\__init__.py", line 355, in onAppStart
Exception: [GSX] Objects not found - GSX is disabled

Do they suggest a solution?

I have obviously done the uninstall, reinstall thing a couple of times. Having already spent five hours trying to troubleshoot this, I'm reluctant to go to the next step of uninstalling and reinstalling every FSDT product (it's a difficult and time-consuming process on an internet connection in East Africa).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3Dv3 GSX Menu only has "Disable", and GSX doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 11:26:30 am »
You are using P3D 3.2, which is not supported anymore. The only supported version of P3D3 is 3.4.22, the latest one.

bryn

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 03:21:20 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the response, but why do you think I'm running v3.2? I'm running v3.4.22.

The log file also says:

Simulator version: 3 4 22 19868
Running in mode: Prepar3D v3 (bglmanx setting)

There is a line saying couatl v3.2 (build 4251), but isn't that the couatl version, and not the simulator version?

Bryn.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 01:10:55 pm »
Sorry, yes, you are right, the simulator version is correct. Could you please check this file ?

Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam Addon Manager\add-on.xml

ZIP it, and Attach it to your reply.

bryn

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 03:12:47 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Attached is the zip file with my Prepar3d v3 add-on.xml file.

I guess the legacy models are now gone and P3Dv3 uses the PBR models?

Also, note e:\programs in the addons.xml file is not my %ProgramFiles%.

Bryn.

EDIT: So I uninstalled all FSDT software, and reinstalled Addon Manager and GSX in %ProgramFiles%. It still has the same problem. And now I need to go through the labour of re-installing everything.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:24:39 pm by bryn »

bryn

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 03:10:30 pm »
I'm checking in to see if there is an update on this? Is there anything I can try? Do you have a sense of what the problem might be?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:20:47 pm »
Attached is the zip file with my Prepar3d v3 add-on.xml file. I guess the legacy models are now gone and P3Dv3 uses the PBR models?

No, P3D3 doesn't support PBR, so the add-on.xml file that is created for P3D3 is supposed to point out to the Addon Manager\Simobjects\Legacy folder, not the PBR folder. An add-on.xml for P3D4 would be correct, if it looked like that.

Do you have both P3D4 and P3D3 installed ? Is it possible your P3D4 registry is pointing to P3D3 ?

Also, note e:\programs in the addons.xml file is not my %ProgramFiles%.

That's not relevant. We install in the folder you said you wanted to use, which by *default* it's your standard Program Files (x86) folder, but that's just a suggestion, you are free to change it anywhere you like so, apparently, when you installed GSX, you asked to install into E:\Programs so is all normal, assuming you did so.

bryn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 04:18:37 pm »
Thanks. Yes, P3Dv4 and v3 are both installed. Everything is working ok in v4.

These registry entries are pointing to the correct locations:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SetupPath
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SetupPath
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SetupPath

There is no key at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\

Also note that E:\Programs\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Legacy is empty. The folder exists, but there is nothing in it.

Cheers,
Bryn.

bryn

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 05:27:31 pm »
If I copy all the PBR simobject directories to the Legacy directory and change the add-on.xml to point to Legacy correctly, P3D loads and GSX loads (but obviously a whole bunch of stuff doesn't appear, like jetways).

If I then exit and run couatl live update, it deletes all but about six of the directories in Legacy and only updates the PBR files. It also resets the P3Dv3 add-on.xml to point to PBR.

So my workaround for now is to:

1. Run the gsx_fsx_setup2.exe. This installs Legacy/simobjects
2. Backup Legacy/simobjects when the setup pauses with SODE registration (which fwiw has p3dv3 and p3dv4 directories in all the right places).
3. Cancel the setup the moment coautl_update2.exe is run
4. Check to see if couatl_updater2.exe had time to delete the files, and if it did restore the back-up
5. Make sure P3Dv3 add-ons.xml is pointing to Legacy and not PBR.

Great if you can identify the cause of the problem. I'm looking forward to the marshaller in summer attire(!), but will have to wait until I can stop couatl_updater deleting all the Legacy stuff first!

Bryn.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 06:15:34 pm by bryn »

bryn

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 05:31:43 pm »
Couatl live update is still deleting the Legacy Simobjects and changing the prepar3d v3 Add-on.xml to point to pbr instead of legacy. Will this be fixed?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 10:05:28 am »
Couatl live update is still deleting the Legacy Simobjects and changing the prepar3d v3 Add-on.xml to point to pbr instead of legacy. Will this be fixed?

There's nothing to be fixed in GSX. I tried installing in P3D3 now, and it doesn't remove the Legacy objects and it creates an add-on.xml with the correct entries.

It seems your P3D3 is not recognized, possibly because of registry keys wrong, missing, or pointing to the wrong folder.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:39:23 pm by virtuali »

bryn

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 05:05:06 pm »
Thanks for looking into this.

Just to confirm, did you try installing into v3 on a computer with both v3 and v4 present?

If so, can you tell me what registry entries the updater is looking for? (You can see my entries above).

Bryn.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 05:46:39 pm »
Just to confirm, did you try installing into v3 on a computer with both v3 and v4 present?

Of course, and with FSX:Se too.

If so, can you tell me what registry entries the updater is looking for? (You can see my entries above).

Those keys.

bryn

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 07:20:05 pm »
And can you tell me the condition required for updater to delete the content in the legacy directory?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 09:55:01 am »
And can you tell me the condition required for updater to delete the content in the legacy directory?

They are deleted only when no simulator without PBR support ( FSX, P3D1/2/3 and older versions of 4 ) is found, checking the path in the simulator own registry keys and if its executable is there.