Author Topic: Install error GSX in Prepar3d v4.5  (Read 4113 times)

howardt

Install error GSX in Prepar3d v4.5
« on: August 22, 2019, 10:11:18 pm »
I downloaded the latest version and when I try to install the program I get the following error message:

Download failed: the operation timed out
Check your connection and click 'Retry' to try downloading the files again, or check 'Next' to continue anyway.

I have no connection issue because I'm able to install my sceneries without and issues.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Install error GSX in Prepar3d v4.5
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 10:22:25 pm »
You might not have connection issues, but maybe you have a firewall or antivirus that is blocking the installer or the updater to download something. Be sure you disable any software firewall you might have installed, or be sure the installer has permissions to download.

Note that, both the GSX installer and the sceneries downloads their files and updates from the same server.

gporzio

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:16:35 pm »
I am having the same problem. Anti-virus is disabled, as well as the firewall and any other protection. I am running the installer as an administrator.
I can download the initial installation file gsx_p3d4_setup.exe. When the application starts, it runs a few downloads and then times out when running gsx_p3d4_setup2-1.bin. Two files are downloaded in the background: gsx_p3d4_setup2-5.bin and gsx_p3d4_setup2.exe. When I try to  launch the latter, I am asked for an installation disk (!)
As other sceneries require gsx or gsx2 to be installed before they can run properly when running Couatl updater, I am totally blocked.
I attach two screen captgures for further assistance.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 01:15:46 am »
Try to use a VPN, this one is free, for example:

https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/

That might give you a new IP, so you'll be downloading from another server.

gporzio

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 07:30:43 pm »
Thanks, Umberto.
I am using NordVPN and have already tried changinmg servers, country, continent.... No cigar.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 07:51:36 pm »
I am using NordVPN and have already tried changinmg servers, country, continent.... No cigar.

Double check your firewall. A timeout might well be caused by it. It's possible the firewall is letting you download the first small file, because "you" started it, but it might block the installer, because IT has started a download.

An antivirus can also cause this, blocking and installer it has mistakenly assumed to be dangerous, and preventing to download stuff on its own so, check both firewall and antivirus.

gporzio

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »
I finally solved the problem, but it was not as straightforward as disabling the firewall (it was already disabled, along with the anti-virus, etc.). I went into the services screen as administrator (services.msc). I stopped three services that were still running despite having stopped all protection via the security screen: security center, software protection and Windows Defender Antivirus Inspection Service. Once thos three were stopped, the whole package was downloaded and installed.
Given that I have installed other packages where the downloads are initiated by the IT (e.g. ORBX) without any trouble, and vast amounts of sceneries (Aerosoft, Flightbeam, FlyTampa just to name a few), it is very frustrating to have to delve into the intricacies of the services to install GSX (the issue does NOT present itself with other FSDT software nor with the Addon Manager, ONLY with GSX). You may want to take a closer look at why.
As usual,thanks for the support.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 12:20:29 pm »
I finally solved the problem, but it was not as straightforward as disabling the firewall (it was already disabled, along with the anti-virus, etc.). I went into the services screen as administrator (services.msc). I stopped three services that were still running despite having stopped all protection via the security screen: security center, software protection and Windows Defender Antivirus Inspection Service. Once thos three were stopped, the whole package was downloaded and installed.

And that's precisely why, in all my posts about the antivirus, I never said to "disable" the antivirus, but to configure it to add the Addon Manager folder to the antivirus exclusion list. This for the precise reason that, even if the antivirus looks disabled, it really isn't as long its service is stopped.

While if there's an Exclusion, the antivirus, even enabled and fully running, will respect it.