Author Topic: Scenery disappeared  (Read 7489 times)

ypaul

Scenery disappeared
« on: September 02, 2009, 01:45:40 pm »
Hello,

So i purchased klas and KFLL the other day and everything was fine and dandy until today
i did a 2 hour flight to vegas and when i landed, all i could see were the freaking gates !!!
i then went to kFLL and it also only displayed the gates

when i restarted the machine and fired up fsx at klas eevrything was finee

scenery manager sys both sceneries are activated... what gives ???
sigh, this is very frusterating.

i dont want verify that the scenery loads each time i fire up fsx...

can someone help

thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Scenery disappeared
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:39:11 pm »
There's an issue with some antivirus, that (after a recent update) are starting to wrongly identifying the Couatl.exe file as a virus, blocking it at start.

It's best to exclude the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe file from scanning, until the antivirus gets fixed.

ckaack

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:45:53 pm »

This is the message I received and now I can do whatever I want to do and only the AES gates are there

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »
This is the message I received and now I can do whatever I want to do and only the AES gates are there

That's exactly what I've said, your antivirus is creating the problem. In your screenshot, is blocking the program even before it gets a chance to be installed.

So, in this case, you need to do the following:

1) Reinstall the scenery with the antivirus DISABLED

2) Configure the antivirus to ignore the FSX\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe file   (FSX is you FSX folder)

3) Enable the antivirus, then launch FSX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 06:11:21 pm »
Also, I see you are using McAfee, and I fear that, if you have the Home edition, you can't exclude files from scanning. Unfortunately, this is a basic feature that no antivirus software should miss, that in McAfee is only included in the Enterprise edition.

If this is the case, either you need to run FSX with the antivirus disabled, or you switch to another product. For example, the free AVG HAS the ability to exclude files, which will save you from these false positives.

And note that, this is not a problem of FSDT products only. Flight1's products have exactly the same issue with McAfee, and they also suggest a different A/V for use with Flight sim:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24061

ckaack

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »
I disabled McAfee and still don't see the buildings.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:35:56 pm »
As I've said, just disabling McAfee is not enough, you need to reinstall the scenery again, because McAfee blocked the needed file from being installed when it was active.

Try to do this after rebooting Windows, and check the antivirus is still disabled after the reboot.

At the end of the installation, when you launch FSX, check that you see both the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered plugins" menus under the "Addons" menu.

ypaul

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 08:08:03 pm »
Nope, not using any kind of antivirus, not even a firewall...
nothing

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »
Nope, not using any kind of antivirus, not even a firewall...nothing

Well, there are two people here I'm replying to. ckaack, from the screenshots he has posted, as clearly an antivirus issue. Yours might be another thing.

Do you see both the both the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered plugins" menus under the "Addons" menu ?

ckaack

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:40 pm »
you need to reinstall the scenery again

I did, but before I deleted the lovely bglman.*

Now it is working. Nevertheless I am wondering why McAfee is detecting a specific Virus. Normally a Virusscanner is detecting based on file behaviour, name and checksum. Do you know the reason?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 02:12:38 pm »
Now it is working. Nevertheless I am wondering why McAfee is detecting a specific Virus. Normally a Virusscanner is detecting based on file behaviour, name and checksum. Do you know the reason?

If Heuristic detection is active, the scanner doesn't simply rely on checksums/name, but (trying to catch viruses that haven't been reported and classified yet), it also checks other things, like the type of compression used, if the program use cryptography, if the program defends itself against tampering, etc. All techniques that are absolutely normal in any program that has something to do with security, but that viruses also use in order to conceal themselves.  So, it might just happened that this pattern was common with that specific virus, so it was recognized as such. This is the most common reason for false positives, that's why it's very important a virus scanner should let the user to exclude specific files from scanning.

ckaack

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:04:23 pm »
Did you file a complain to McAfee already?