Author Topic: Installation Woes  (Read 1553 times)

TooMuchFS

Installation Woes
« on: August 03, 2019, 09:19:08 am »
I have been using GSX in P3Dv4 for a short while and all was well.
I then decided to also get the Level 2 expansion, so after purchase, I downloaded and installed with antivirus off. During installation, an 'error 5' came up and I aborted the installation. I retried the installer with the same result.

Thinking the error might be to do with the Level 2 not playing nicely with the base pack, I uninstalled the base pack, downloaded the latest 'gsx_p3d4_setup' installer (again with antivirus off). The installation went well and completed OK.

I started P3d and opened the Addon Manager to enter the serial number. It seemed to accept it, but there is no GSX addon displaying. I can enter the serial number as many times as I like and I don;t get any indication that GSX is working (Base or Level 2).

Can you plesae help me sort out the correct sequence so I can get the Base and Level 2 running?

Thanks
Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installation Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:48:23 am »
I then decided to also get the Level 2 expansion, so after purchase, I downloaded and installed with antivirus off. During installation, an 'error 5' came up and I aborted the installation. I retried the installer with the same result.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with the installer, and it's likely caused by having started the installer when either the sim was still running, or when it was just closed, because you started the installer too quickly.

Reinstalling after a Windows restart should fix this.

Another possible reason for that error, is an antivirus blocking some files, since "error 5" really means "Access denied", which can be either caused by running the installer when the simulator hasn't closed completely, or because an antivirus is blocking access to some files/folders.

Installing with the antivirus disabled and configured to exclude the whole Addon Manager destination folder should fix this. This will likely cure the missing GSX menu, which is almost invariably caused by the antivirus mistakenly blocking parts of the software.

If that still doesn't work, the thread named "Addon Manager not showing up in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**" thread lists all the known solutions for missing menu entries from the "Addons" menu:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17484.msg122656.html#msg122656

TooMuchFS

Re: Installation Woes RESOLVED
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 02:13:12 am »
Thankyou Umberto - issue resolved.

I think file corruption somwehere was the issue. I uninstalled again, rebooted, re downloaded and installed, rebooted again and I could now activate both GSX and Level 2 in P3d4

Hope this helps anyone else who comes across a similar issue.

Cheers
Peter