Author Topic: Can't uninstall GSX  (Read 4361 times)

draci

Can't uninstall GSX
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:19:26 am »
I have the annoying problem that when I try restarting Couatl in flight, couatl won't restart and the Couatl and GSX entries disappear from the Addon-Menu and GSX can't be restarted for the rest of the flight. I'm still running FSX under Windows 7. In Control Panel I see two entries of GSX, the first being an old 1.9 version and the second being the latest GSX2 version after running the FSDT Live update today. I decided to uninstall and reinstall both from the Control Panel which flawlessly works for the GX2 version but not for the older one. I get th error that the unins00.... file is missing. I even searched the registry for GSX and deleted every key that is related to GSX (including the registration keys) but after the restart GSX still shows up among installed programs in Control Panel. So here my simple question: How can I properly uninstall/reinstall GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't uninstall GSX
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:27:12 am »
The error due to the older uninstaller is not a problem, it simply means the older uninstaller cannot be found anymore, but that doesn't mean you still have the old GSX so, it's just a cosmetic issue.

It that's a problem for you, this site explains how to clean the Add/remove programs list:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/247501/how-to-manually-remove-programs-from-the-add-remove-programs-list

But again, it's just a cosmetic problem, it won't change anything to GSX.

Please provide more details about your inability to restart in flight. Which airplane you use ? Which altitude/speed you were ?

draci

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 08:16:41 am »
Thank you Umberto for your quick response,

I exclusively use the PMDG 747-800i and the PMDG QOSII in FSX. It happens at every airport and always on the ground. Whether it also happens inflight I don't know since by the nature of GSX I never use any GSX features in flight.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:10:24 am »
It happens at every airport and always on the ground. Whether it also happens inflight I don't know since by the nature of GSX I never use any GSX features in flight.

From what you wrote, I assumed it happens only in flight:

I have the annoying problem that when I try restarting Couatl in flight, couatl won't restart

draci

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29:36 pm »
Sorry for being imprecise, but do you happen to have a hint for me what I could try to get rid of the problem....?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 02:33:55 pm »
Sorry for being imprecise, but do you happen to have a hint for me what I could try to get rid of the problem....?

So, it's happening on ground ? Does it happen with other airplanes, like a default one ?

draci

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »
Yes, the problem is independent of the plane in use and I have no idea whether it would happen also inflight, but I guess this wouldn't bother me. I've just come across a post that explains that GSX installs the Addon Manager under C:\ by default, however, in my case the Addon Manager folder is a subfolder of FSX-folder, don't know why, can it be that old installers used the sim folder or that GSX was even there before the Addon Manager was published and there was a mistake during migration? I have been using GSX for ages (I guess since its original release) and I have unstalled and reinstalled it a few times over the years. Could that be the problem? Maybe when trying to restart, GSX is looking for the couatl.exe in the wrong folder? Perhaps there is a wrong path to couatl coded somewhere in my AppData? Just an idea....

As far as the GSX entry in the Control Panel list is concerned, I am aware of the registry-key deletion method but strangely enough I didn't find a GSX or Couatl related key referring to GSX after uninstalling GSX2-version. The GSX2 version uninstalls from the Control Panel without any further problems but the second (older) GSX entry can neither be uninstalled (because of missing installer as I said) nor can I find a registry key referring to it that I could delete.

Regards
draci
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:51:17 pm by draci »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 02:51:17 pm »
Installing "inside" the simulator is usually a bad idea, now that you can install it everywhere, and our installer suggest a default folder under C:\Program Files

- Uninstall GSX from the Windows Control Panel. Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?"

- If you have other FSDT products, do the same for all of them.

- Download the current full installer for GSX and any other FSDT products, if you have them

- Reinstall in the default folder, or any other folder of your choice, even into a different drive, but don't choose the folder the simulator is installed into.

draci

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:52:38 pm »
Ok, thank you, will try this tonight and report back.

draci

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 01:05:56 am »
I did as you suggested and also deleted the whole AddonManager Folder in the Sim-Folder. Frustrating enough, the problem persists. Restarting couatl results in couatl crash and both couatl and GSX disappear from the Add-Ons Menu which makes GSX unusable. For my installed FSDT airports the AddonManager states "active but not installed in SceneryLibrary" because I usually disable sceneries I don't need for a flight. Could this cause the issue?

I want to ask you whether the following additional issues are normal:

1. During the new LiveUpdateProcess for GSX I get an "Address out of Range Error" for one of the SplitPackages.
2. KJFK is still installed under the SimFolder in the fsdreamteam subfolder by default and not in the AddonManager Folder which now resides in C:\ProgramFiles
3. During the CYVR install I get several error messages when the installer tries to install support software for Sims that are not installed by default.
4. KORD installer is no longer available on simmarket

Can you quickly comment on these issues, Umberto, thx

Regards draci
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:09:04 am by draci »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 12:55:13 pm »
I did as you suggested and also deleted the whole AddonManager Folder in the Sim-Folder. Frustrating enough, the problem persists. Restarting couatl results in couatl crash and both couatl and GSX disappear from the Add-Ons Menu which makes GSX unusable. For my installed FSDT airports the AddonManager states "active but not installed in SceneryLibrary" because I usually disable sceneries I don't need for a flight. Could this cause the issue?

You clearly have a problem in your system, most likely your registry keys wrong. If that's the case, nothing will basically work.

1. During the new LiveUpdateProcess for GSX I get an "Address out of Range Error" for one of the SplitPackages.

This has been already fixed, so you shouldn't see it anymore. It's an error which can be safely ignored, since it will only affect the speed of the update, not its completion.

2. KJFK is still installed under the SimFolder in the fsdreamteam subfolder by default and not in the AddonManager Folder which now resides in C:\ProgramFiles

That's because you haven't uninstalled it.

3. During the CYVR install I get several error messages when the installer tries to install support software for Sims that are not installed by default.

Please indicate the precise, exact, text of the errors. This also seems to confirm there's something wrong with your simulation install.

4. KORD installer is no longer available on simmarket

None of our installers were ever available on Simmarket. All our installer were always supposed to be downloaded here, from our site. I think Simmarket never gave you an actual file, only a link to our site.