Author Topic: Single Lag on Final Approach at Specific Altitude/Position after GSX Lv2  (Read 2520 times)

tszchun_anson

Hi,

I would be thankful if you could give me some insight into the possible solution of this issue.

Description of Issue
On every final approach to VHHH, in which GSX level 2 was configured, there is one single lag lasting 0.5-1 second when the aircraft reaches 600ft specifically.

Demonstration of Issue
=2376
=467
(this youtuber's sim may have the same issue as mine)

What I know
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=20434.0
According to the discussion in this link, the more diverse the jetways and bridges set are, the more performance hit the sim could get.

My PC Spec
Intel Core i9-9900K (stock)
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVME
Nvidia GTX1080 Ti 11GB

My Thought/Speculation
I believe the lag is caused by the loading of jetways and bridges in the scenery as we are approaching. I fully understand the complexity of jetways and bridges does impair performance. However, is there adjustable options to alleviate the stutter on approach? Could we enlarge the scenery draw distance so that those jetways and bridges can be loaded earlier without disturbing the final approach? Or can the performance hit be "transferred" to another form, like sacrificing some FPS for a stutter-free approach?

Thanks,
Anson
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:55:00 am by tszchun_anson »

Beat578

I think the almos same question has been answered a few weeks ago in here somewhere. Umberto explained, that the Radius has been choosen exaclty as it is, because if you take a wider radius, it could load simobjects from airports near that you dont need (and that would slow your system even more)  but it's also far enough that you don't see them pop up when you are on short final (and the stutter would have even more impact on your flying).

So, as long as there is no change in the simobjects / SODE part of development of making those objects appear smoother, we will have to live with that short stutter.
Beat578

tszchun_anson

I think the almos same question has been answered a few weeks ago in here somewhere. Umberto explained, that the Radius has been choosen exaclty as it is, because if you take a wider radius, it could load simobjects from airports near that you dont need (and that would slow your system even more)  but it's also far enough that you don't see them pop up when you are on short final (and the stutter would have even more impact on your flying).

So, as long as there is no change in the simobjects / SODE part of development of making those objects appear smoother, we will have to live with that short stutter.

Thanks for your recap. Confirm what you mean is that the short stutter is inevitable with GSX Level 2, or other complex simobject?

It is so disappointing to know the short stutter is unsolvable.

Anson

Beat578

It could also happen with other add on airport's with complex simobject's, it's not only a GSX thing. The reason lies in the way, simobject loads it's models. I don't understand it as it's very technical. I am sure, with the speed those tools are developed, there will be a solution one day.
Beat578

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
There's just nothing we can do to fix this. If we raised the loading range, we would risk loading jetways from a nearby airport, which would make the problem worse. If we lowered it, you'll get the stuttering later on the approach, which would make it even more annoying.

The only real solution would be if LM updated the simulator engine to allow loading of Simobjects in multi-threading without stalling the main thread, which is what already happens with terrain ( your CPU cores will all work quite a bit when loading terrain ).

This would potentially benefit lots of add-ons, for example AI, since the pause when UT Live is loading AI planes (to give another example of an application that loads Simobjects dynamically), is WAY worse than GSX would ever be.

tszchun_anson

Thank you. I think I may hold back until the issue is solved.

In case I would like to disable level 2 only for a partcular scenery, do I just need to delete the ini file in \appdata\Virtuali\GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
In case I would like to disable level 2 only for a partcular scenery, do I just need to delete the ini file in \appdata\Virtuali\GSX?

If you mean a 3rd party scenery for which you made a GSX customization file for, then yes, just removing the .INI would stop GSX L2 to replace jetways ( assuming that customization file is doing that ). And, you'll have to remove the associated Exclude .BGL, to get the scenery original jetways back.