Author Topic: GSX doesn't use my add-on.xml AFCAD  (Read 2944 times)

NZ255

GSX doesn't use my add-on.xml AFCAD
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:34:01 pm »
Hi there,
I've noted this in 2 of my airports I've added as add-on.xml airports where GSX uses the wrong AFCAD.
For both these airports there is an Orbx 'enhanced' airport included in the base scenery. This is what GSX selects.

The Orbx scenery is installed the 'old' way through the scenery library. My scenery is installed using the add-on.xml method.
My scenery is higher in the scenery priority list than Orbx.

If I remove my scenery as an 'add-on.xml' and add it via the scenery library GSX uses my AFCAD.

I've looked at the log, after triggering a cache rebuild GSX does scan the location my AFCAD's in.
Code: [Select]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File D:\FSX Dev\Projects\Palmerston North Airport\scenery\NZPM_PR_15cm.bgl skipped, likely too big to be an airport
Folder D:\FSX Dev\Projects\Palmerston North Airport\scenery processed in 0.283 seconds
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The workaround is to manually disable the Orbx AFCAD, or not use the add-on.xml method.

After disabling the Orbx AFCAD file (.bgl to .off) I saw in the log it picked my AFCAD but I got this message too.
Code: [Select]
Warning: airport NZPM described in multiple BGL files without proper DeleteAirport record
File D:\FSX Dev\Projects\Palmerston North Airport\scenery\NZPM_PR_15cm.bgl skipped, likely too big to be an airport
Folder D:\FSX Dev\Projects\Palmerston North Airport\scenery processed in 0 seconds

Happy to help test anything if you'd like.

For what it's worth, the Orbx AFCAD name is 'ADE_FTX_NZNI_NZPM.BGL' and mine is 'NZPM_ADEP4_NJB.bgl

Nick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX doesn't use my add-on.xml AFCAD
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »
Warning: airport NZPM described in multiple BGL files without proper DeleteAirport record

This is the problem, not the fact you use the add-on.xml or not, since GSX supports both methods. This indicates the NZPM airport has been defined twice by two AFCADs, but one hasn't removed the airport.

This is not strictly an error, since with the simulator SDK, you can do that, if you want to enhance an airport without removing data from the base AFCAD. However, GSX only reads data from a single AFCAD at the time, it doesn't support opening multiple files for a single airport so, this message is telling you why it won't use the airport: it's not self-contained.

NZ255

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 12:51:48 am »
This is the problem, not the fact you use the add-on.xml or not, since GSX supports both methods. This indicates the NZPM airport has been defined twice by two AFCADs, but one hasn't removed the airport.
Thanks for your reply.
Ok that makes sense, but I think you already handle this using the scenery library priority (or it's just worked out that way)?

I removed the scenery add-on.xml and add it to the scenery library:
If my scenery is above the Orbx scenery (mine has a smaller priority number), rebuild cache, GSX selects my bgl.
If my scenery is below the Orbx scenery (mine has a larger priority number), rebuild cache, GSX selects the Orbx bgl.

While doing this the logs don't mention the "Warning: multiple BGL" message.

Cheers,
Nick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:58:00 am »
Ok that makes sense, but I think you already handle this using the scenery library priority (or it's just worked out that way)?

Yes, but only if the area has a layer, which by default the add-on.xml sceneries don't have, while the scenery.cfg always use it. If you use the Lorby addon manager to rearrange sceneries using the add-on.xml method, it will place a Layer command in the add-on.xml file and GSX is supposed to use it.

NZ255

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:56:11 am »
You are of course correct :)
My add-on.xml had a layer specified of 1. If I remove it it GSX loads my bgl. Thank you!

I thought layer only relates to its own add-on.xml entries? But if I add it as layer 999 (instead of 1) GSX uses my bgl too.

(Off topic) How is the add-on method supposed to deal with this issue once everyone uses it? The user can't adjust the add-on or scenery order in the sim?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:02:48 am by NZ255 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:22:38 am »
I thought layer only relates to its own add-on.xml entries? But if I add it as layer 999 (instead of 1) GSX uses my bgl too.

No, there's a global layering numbering which is shared by add-on.xml areas and scenery.cfg areas. Which can be confusing, because if you have conflicts, it's not always clear what's happening.

(Off topic) How is the add-on method supposed to deal with this issue once everyone uses it? The user can't adjust the add-on or scenery order in the sim?

No, you can't, you must do it manually, or use the Lorby utility. I know LM tried to allow rearranging of both kind of areas in the sim user interface, but it turned out to be very buggy, precisely for the reason I explained above of a shared numbering system, so it was abandoned, at least for the time being. Maybe it might eventually appear in a future update, but for the time being, just use the Lorby addon manager.