Author Topic: Strange problem GSX Level 2 -- only "Trial Mode" available!  (Read 4170 times)

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
Strange problem GSX Level 2 -- only "Trial Mode" available!
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:24:05 pm »
I recently had a new faster PC build for my P3D4 cockpit.

I reinstalled all my add-ons, one by one. The GSX addon was freshly downloaded from the FSDT website to make sure I had the latest. It all seemed to install okay.

BUT when at my gate and opeing the GSX menu, it only offers to reocate me to one of the trial mode airports.

I used Addon Manage from within the Addons menu to check. it lists GSX "in trial mode" and GSX Level 2 expansion "active".  A very strange combination in my opinion.

So, I found my GSX registration key, and, in the GSX display, clicked on Enter Key. All that then happens is that the options disappear and P3D4 continues as normal.

I even tried the reinstall option, and got as far as okaying the "enter key in next scren" before exactly the same thing happened.

I really have no idea what is going on. I tried re-installing GSX to no avail.

Pete

Beat578

Re: Strange problem GSX Level 2 -- only "Trial Mode" available!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:12:44 am »
I Had that once too.
I had to uninstall GSX, GSX Level 2 and the addon Manager. Then I reinstalled everything, making sure I used Administrator Privileges. (Just Install Level 2 installer, the GSX things will be included anyway). Then I could enter the two Serials (GSX first, then GSX2, even if i don't think that matters). That solved it for me.
Good Luck.
Beat578

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:16:08 am »
I Had that once too.
I had to uninstall GSX, GSX Level 2 and the addon Manager. Then I reinstalled everything, making sure I used Administrator Privileges. (Just Install Level 2 installer, the GSX things will be included anyway). Then I could enter the two Serials (GSX first, then GSX2, even if i don't think that matters). That solved it for me.
Good Luck.

Thanks. I'll try. Of course I didn't expect a problem because it was a fresh install on a new PC. Also, it does seem odd for GSX2 to be "Active" while the base is in "Trial Mode". It's also annoying that I couldn't enter the serial number for GSX (base) because the screen to enter it never appeared -- even though when trying "Reinstall" of GSX2, as a test, it did it all properly.

I hate this business of having to enter it in a screen on top of P3D4. The more normal system or entering it in the installation stage seems far more sensible. For me having dialogues on the P3D screen is next to useless as the screen is a three-projector 210 degree FOV curved one. Not only are dialogues almost impossible to read, I can't track the mouse. I have to use TemViewer from another PC to do any P3D menu changes in any case.

I'll come back with a "yeah" or "nay" later today when I tried again ...

Pete

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 12:41:11 pm »
I went to try uninstalling first. But there was no entry in "Programs and Features" for GSX or Addon Manager, only GSX Level 2 Expansion.

I ran the uninstall for that. fine. It also offered the option to uninstall Addon Manager too, so i said yes. It all seemed to go fine.

I downloaded both GSX and GSX Level 2 installers from the FSDreamTeam website. Oddly both files are identical and both have version 2 details in Properties. I've no idea why there are two separate entries there for the same files.

BUT i got exactly the same symptoms on starting P3D4 and going to the Addon Manager screen -- GSX is "in trial mode", whilst level 2 is "active".

Evidently it IS necessary to uninstall GSX too. But how? Delete everything mentioning GSX? I don't like that -- I have sceneries with GSX tailoring added, and aircraft with door definitions. Maybe it also needs Registry editing, which I hate having to do.

If it would only allow me to enter the serial, or even "reinstall", that would be fine. but both options simply do nothing at all for GSX -- though they both wok fine for Level 2.

Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer from FSDT / Virtuali soon.

Regards
Pete

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:44:24 pm by Pete Dowson »

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:41:38 pm »
I think I've solved it. I searched for my GSX Level 2 key in the Registry and found it. There was no entry for a key in the neighbouring entry for GSX, so I made one and put my key in. On restarting P3D and re-checking in Addon Manager, it appears to be okay.

What a palava!

Pete

Quoth

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:14:41 pm »
I’ve had similar problems not only with GSX but with FSDT Zurich. Took me multiple attempts to resolve, can’t actually remember how I solved it but definitely did not do any registry editing.

As you say, one should not have to go through all this to install an add on.

Glad you got it sorted

Regards
Q

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:43:15 pm »
Glad you got it sorted

Unfortunately, it is not!  >:(

Both GSX and GSX2 entries say active, but there's no response at all in sim. I ued both the You Control and the bypass key strokes, and also tried reassigning them (in couatl settings), all to no avail!

Is it another uninstall and re-install? I don't know. i wish support staff here would help. I think I'll post another thread with a more urgent title.

Pete

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 12:56:10 pm »
When the Serial Number input dialog seems to not do anything, it's usually caused by:

- Another addon that is "stealing the focus", so the dialog got behind the main screen, because some other addon forced itself on the foreground. Sometimes it might be enough to ALT+TAB to find it.

- The dialog not displaying at all, because some account permissions on the system. Normally, is NOT required to run any of our software with Admin permissions (it's 100% UAC compatible), and of course our installers sets all the proper permissions to our own folders if needed, but we noticed in some cases that unusual permissions, sometimes when migrating a Windows installation after a reinstall, might require running Couatl.exe AS ADMIN. NOT required, normally, but it might help in this case.

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
When the Serial Number input dialog seems to not do anything, it's usually caused by:

- Another addon that is "stealing the focus", so the dialog got behind the main screen, because some other addon forced itself on the foreground. Sometimes it might be enough to ALT+TAB to find it.

- The dialog not displaying at all, because some account permissions on the system. Normally, is NOT required to run any of our software with Admin permissions (it's 100% UAC compatible), and of course our installers sets all the proper permissions to our own folders if needed, but we noticed in some cases that unusual permissions, sometimes when migrating a Windows installation after a reinstall, might require running Couatl.exe AS ADMIN. NOT required, normally, but it might help in this case.

Thanks for replying. I've actually got other problems now -- please see other thread addressed to you specifically.

But on the point of the dialog not appearing, I can't see that either of those explanations apply. For two reasons:

1. The AddonManager dialogue is closed as soon as the enter rserial button is pressed, and control returns to P3D4, and

2. As ia test I tried with the GSX2 entry, and that worked fine. In fact I used its Reinstall button 9also tried with GSX butwith same results as for enter serial).

I don't see that either of your explanations can therefore apply. (BTW I did try ALT+TAB as well -- nothing of AddonManager or spawned dialogues was shown)

Please now see other thread.
Thank you
Pete