Author Topic: Steady R.o.D on turns  (Read 5767 times)

Doum76

Steady R.o.D on turns
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:50:58 pm »
Greetings all, i am at the point i need to ask some advices or hints about keeping a steady rate of descent on turns, i'm starting to feel like a retard, been trying to keep the descent the way i want it, either small climbing ot small descent to aim a certain altitude on end turn, i can control R.o.D straigh but in turns, i ended up when coming out of the turn to either climb like a crazy or too low, i'm trying to get those carrier landing pattern done, but that simple problem makes me mostly always « you're to high» «wave off, waave off»  :(

Even by playing around with the stick and throttle to control pitch, speed and r.o.d, i ended mostly either lined-up to land on a dolphin's back or on the moon. :(

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: Steady R.o.D on turns
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »
Are you utilizing the velocity vector (VV) on your HUD?  Its that little circle with the three fins sticking out of it located around the center of your HUD.  It's pretty much a visual representation on your RoD or RoA.  If the fins on the VV are level with the horizon line on your HUD then you are flying (or turning) at a constant altitude.  If the VV drops below the horizon line, then you are sinking.  The further away the VV goes from the horizon line the faster the RoD is occuring.  Same goes for climbing.  So while in your turns concentrate on using that a little more and that should fix your RoD problems.  Hope this helps.

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Doum76

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:28:31 pm »
Great dude, i was indeed paying a bit attention to it before, but mostly to RoD or RoA, AoA indexer mostly, Bank angle indicator and heading indicator, but i just tried right away turning around with more attention to the path indicator, so now with the eye moving to all infos, i did made some constant positive and negative turns, correcting speed, stick according to the path vector when it was moving up or down too much/fast from the level i want it to be. With a few more practice. My major problem before was giving in too much throttle to gain corrections on my Ascent/Descent indicator, giving up an end result with to much range going from up and down and less control, with an eye on that little magic Path Vector, it really helped a lot, thanks again.  ;D

Doum

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:14:52 am »
No problem.  You might want to check out this useful carrier tutorial as well (courtesy of Micro).  It might help you out. 

http://fsxblueangels.com/videoscreen%20ok3.html

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Doum76

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 04:57:37 am »
Nice video thanks, just amazing how everything is always perfet :( speed, AoA, line-up... But i just don't get how pilots, after launched, can keep a steady 10 deg. nose up, and being able to get speed around 150 knots aroud 600 ft., I always end up climbing fast, reaching 600 at still almost 180 knots, even though i fight hard to keep nose down, do they get Trim down to 0 or what? My major problem are the launched first 180 to downwind because of that, and for some reason i mostly always ended up flying with a high speed and ended up climbing oonce out of the 180 for the final. Makes me realise as easy at it seems, flying ain't. :(

Of course, most everything is possible to do, but i am trying to do it as much as possible close to reality, not like playing a simple video game, like forcing the nose down when ball is flashing way high wave-off .25 miles from ramp and 600 ft.to make the landing. :(

-Doum

Razgriz

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:23:17 am »
Nice video thanks, just amazing how everything is always perfet :( speed, AoA, line-up... But i just don't get how pilots, after launched, can keep a steady 10 deg. nose up, and being able to get speed around 150 knots aroud 600 ft., I always end up climbing fast, reaching 600 at still almost 180 knots, even though i fight hard to keep nose down, do they get Trim down to 0 or what? My major problem are the launched first 180 to downwind because of that, and for some reason i mostly always ended up flying with a high speed and ended up climbing oonce out of the 180 for the final. Makes me realise as easy at it seems, flying ain't. :(

Of course, most everything is possible to do, but i am trying to do it as much as possible close to reality, not like playing a simple video game, like forcing the nose down when ball is flashing way high wave-off .25 miles from ramp and 600 ft.to make the landing. :(

-Doum

Jimi is an amazing pilot.  He has went through flight school at Pensacola but could not finish.  I have flown formation with him and have had talks with him, he holds formation and lands amazingly with the hornet.

Doum76

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:28:35 am »
Jimi is an amazing pilot.  He has went through flight school at Pensacola but could not finish.  I have flown formation with him and have had talks with him, he holds formation and lands amazingly with the hornet.

I bet he is, and i wish i could do half good as this in a simple simulator. :) Im getting better, but controlling RoD or RoA steady is pretty much of practice to keep throttle and stick going togetehr to get what you want. :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:31:08 am by Doum76 »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:46:39 am »
Doum76, other threads on this topic exist here on this forum. My advice would be to practice your landings on a regular airfield using the devices there for glideslope as indicated in that marvellous FSX Blue Angels explanatory video. Terrific work by all concerned. The video states that it is all 'practice, practice and more practice' (or words to that effect). Doing FCLP ashore takes some of the distraction away so that you can concentrate on some parts and then take that skill to the carrier. Practice your control of the aircraft in the landing configuration at a few thousand feet so that you get a chance to learn what it will be flying like with the trim well set. Then the power controls your rate of descent, power always needs to be added to maintain optimum angle of attack in a level turn etc. IMHO carrier landings would be the most difficult achievement in FSX - but of course others may differ.  ;D

This thread is more about carrier landings than 'brake problems':

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1645.0
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)