Author Topic: Update to FSDT Live Update?  (Read 2504 times)

jk23

Update to FSDT Live Update?
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:16:50 am »
Hello,

I started my PC and started up P3D 4.4 and loaded up with my NGX at KBFI with scenery no issues. I closed the sim (no crashes), and ran the FSDT Live Update. I then tried to open P3D and the splash screen loads, flashes a few of what you would see in a update from FSDT after running Live Update and then shows the desktop. Task Manager shows P3D running full but no where to be seen.

Again, sim was running perfectly fine and no other changes were made. I restarted my PC 2 times after issue started and loaded with out any other programs running.

Thanks!

Happy New Year
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:20:01 am by jk23 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Update to FSDT Live Update?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:02:29 am »
It's not possible that running the FSDT Live Update could cause the simulator to not start up. The problem must be something else, which happened by coincidence.

After you restart Windows, check all the following:

- the simulator should NOT run in any "Compatibility" mode. If it is, some other addon has mistakenly set it, and this will cause problems.

- the simulator should not *usually* run as Administrator, at least this is not how it's installed by default. However, some addons might have changed this settings, which it's *usually* fine, but it might (or might not) cause problems, depending on your user account setting.

So, first try to run with NO options checked in the Compatibility tab of the Prepar3d.exe file Properties. If that doesn't work, try running it as Admin, with nothing else selected.

jk23

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 03:08:12 am »
Hi,

Ended up being neither of those issues.

Turned out that the dll.xml in AppData-> Roaming was corrupt. Deleted that and it all started fine.

FSDT Live Update doesn't touch the dll.xml? The update was the only thing I ran or changed before the issue arose. Just want to confirm so I know for any issues next time.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:13:32 am by jk23 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:42:14 am »
FSDT Live Update doesn't touch the dll.xml? The update was the only thing I ran or changed before the issue arose. Just want to confirm so I know for any issues next time.

Surely not, we stopped using the DLL/EXE.XML files since P3D4 came out, so we only use them in FSX and P3D up to V3. However, there was a longstanding bug in P3D4 that, if the DLL.XML is corrupted, it would affect even addons NOT using it. We thought it was fixed, but apparently it hasn't.