Author Topic: Installation out of C:\ drive in P3Dv4.4?  (Read 2529 times)

looping

Installation out of C:\ drive in P3Dv4.4?
« on: December 20, 2018, 07:14:03 am »
Hi

Even after checking this forum, best installation of FSDT products into P3Dv4.4 is still quite confusing to me.
I would prefer my known scenery.cfg method, but seemingly FSDT is not allowing me to do so.
Installed free GSX and CYVR as suggeted by the installer into C:\Programme (x86) and all is working fine.
Except: I neither want to have FSDT on C: nor into P3Dv4!

1. Is it possible to install into e.g. my dedicated scenery SSD F:\_P3D Sceneries, incl. GSX?
2. Is there a possibility to work with the scenery.cfg file and sort levels etc of FSDT products?
3. Do I have to uninstall GSX and CYVR or can I simply move the installed files to my desired locations?

Just discovered a stand-alone addon manager and downloaded it.
Does this tool will help my problem and if yes: how to use it?

Thanks for more insight into this problem.

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installation out of C:\ drive in P3Dv4.4?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
Even after checking this forum, best installation of FSDT products into P3Dv4.4 is still quite confusing to me.

The installation of FSDT sceneries is the simplest, less confusing, more compatible, more compliant with PD34 and more flexible out there.

I would prefer my known scenery.cfg method, but seemingly FSDT is not allowing me to do so.

And rightly so, since the scenery.cfg method is obsolete, and the proper method to install a scenery under P3D4 is through the add-on.xml method, which is far better, and more reliable.

Installed free GSX and CYVR as suggeted by the installer into C:\Programme (x86) and all is working fine.

Of course it is.

Except: I neither want to have FSDT on C: nor into P3Dv4!

You can surely do that, it would have been enough to choose a different drive while installing. And no, we also agree installing "into" the simulator is not a very good choice.

1. Is it possible to install into e.g. my dedicated scenery SSD F:\_P3D Sceneries, incl. GSX?

Of course it is. Just choose F: and it will create a folder named F:\Addon Manager, with *EVERYTHING* that belongs to FSDT under there. If you choose \F:\_P3D Sceneries, all FSDT products will be installed under F:\_P3D Sceneries\Addon Manager. Your choice.

2. Is there a possibility to work with the scenery.cfg file and sort levels etc of FSDT products?

No. We don't use that method anymore. If you want to rearrange the Scenery Library order of sceneries installed through the add-on.xml method, you should use the free "Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer", available here:

http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

3. Do I have to uninstall GSX and CYVR or can I simply move the installed files to my desired locations?

No, you cannot move anything manually. Although we give you complete freedom on the installation folder, you have this freedom only for the FIRST FSDT product you install because yes, they can be installed anywhere, but they MUST stay together. So, once you install the 2nd/3rd/etc product, the installer will now defaults to your initial choice.

To "move" your existing installation, and change the folder, the only way that works is:

- Uninstall ALL FSDT Products

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to Remove The Addon Manager ?". THIS is what will allow the installer to "forget" your initial choice.

- Reinstall an FSDT product, and notice you now CAN choose a destination folder. Choose any drive/folder you like.

- Reinstall all the other FSDT products, which will all default to the folder you chose for the first one.

None of this will have any effect on your activation.

looping

Re: Installation out of C:\ drive in P3Dv4.4?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:21:36 am »
Thank you very much, Umberto!!
Perfectly answering my questions/problems!

Shouldn't this sort of information be a sticky?

I'll look into this Lorby tool, sounds very interesting.

Now I am going to uninstall all my FSDT products and re-start from new.

Thanks again and best regards

Ernst