Author Topic: Stuttering and major pause at FSDT JFK v2 with GSX installed  (Read 1519 times)

LecLightning56

Stuttering and major pause at FSDT JFK v2 with GSX installed
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:43 am »
I have had terrible stutters and pauses recently landing on e.g. RW31L with FSDT New York v2 using P3D v4.4 with e.g. the PMDG 737-800NGX. This was with Orbx FTX Global, Orbx LC North America and the DD New York City installed (very nice but only Lite version installed). The installation of P3D v4.4 was only by way of updating the Client and Content not a full installation.

I decided to uninstall everything (including P3D v4.4) and start afresh with a full installation of P3D v4.4. In the absence of FSDT New York v2 and with only the default scenery and default JFK airport, the same approach was repeated and NO stutters and pauses were experienced. I then reinstalled FSDT New York v2 (which demands installation of SODE and GSX), repeated the same approach and the same stutters and pauses returned (the main pause is long at about 3-4 seconds, VERY annoying on the approach). At this stage no Orbx scenery has been installed. I then decided to uninstall GSX and SODE (only interested in the approach) and repeated the same approach again, this time butter smooth and no stutters or pauses. Whereas one's experiences may be machine-dependent, the process of elimination I have been through has pinpointed the culprit to GSX or SODE or possibly both causing the stutters and pauses, not the FSDT scenery for JFK per se. Also at this stage, LM and Orbx are exonerated from the proceedings since I have proved the default scenery works fine out of the box and Orbx has not been reinstalled.

Other than a full uninstall of GSX, is there a way of disabling GSX without such measures to avoid these issues? How could GSX influence the behaviour at lower altitude nearing the airfield? There have been reports of SODE causing stutters in P3D v4 but I thought that had been fixed in the latest 1.6.3 version.

My specs are very modest with an Intel 875K turbo-boosted and overclocked to 4GHz, GTX 1070 with 8GB RAM and 16GB DDR4 memory cards installed. 

Oh, by the way, I have used no tweaks in the P3D v4.4 cfg file or use of Vsync etc.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Stuttering and major pause at FSDT JFK v2 with GSX installed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 02:12:48 pm »
It's not very clear from your message if you have a "main pause" only, or several others.

JFK loading range is very small, smaller than what we usually do, because it's in close proximity with other large airports (LGA, EWR) and the dense Manhattan area so, since we control the loading of the scenery ourselves, we can prevent OOMs by loading JFK at the latest possible time. Even in P3D4, when OOMs are very unlikely, this will keep the fps reasonable.

So, what you call the "main pause", is the loading of the whole airport scenery, and it's normal.

If you have other pauses, be sure you have the anti pop-up slider in the Addon Manager at the highest level. If you already have it, then it's nothing that happens under our control, since when the "main pause" has passed, and with the anti pop-up slider at the highest level, we just load everything during that pause, and we don't load anything else after that so, any other pauses cannot possibly be caused by the airport, or GSX.

Also, SODE jetways in our airports are entirely static and SODE doesn't even know they exists, until the time you activate *one* of them, on ground.

I see you overclocked your system.

Your issue might simply be that, because of the extra load caused by the simple increased scenery complexity resulting from just adding a large airport with more detailed jetways, is causing higher temperatures in the system overall, so the Turbo-boost is going up/down, causing irregular fps spikes which you might see as "micro-stuttering" so, as counter-intuitive as it might seems, lowering your clock speed to the normal values might help, if you don't have a complex water-cooling system, (like the JFK's author has...) to keep the system cool.

And, if you have hyper-threading enabled, try to disable it in the BIOS, since many reports are telling P3D is way smoother with HT disabled.