Author Topic: GSXv2 Not Saving Aircraft Parking (Stopping) Position  (Read 2975 times)

dmiannay

GSXv2 Not Saving Aircraft Parking (Stopping) Position
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:57:16 pm »
Good day,

I have searched through these forums, as well as the GSXv2 manual, for this issue and did not find an exact answer to solve my problem.  

Here's the Prepar3D v4.4 scenario:
 - Load FSL A320 (American Airlines - N679AW) to ImagineSim KATL Gate T12.  
 - Aircraft position is slightly misaligned and well behind the indicated A320 parking position.
 - Open GSX "Customize airport positions...", select the aircraft parking position
 - Using appropriate keys, align aircraft, and move it forward to align with correct stopping point.
 - Press "Y" key and exit.  Aircraft appears parked correctly at the gate.
 - Exit, P3D.
 - Restart P3D, select the same aircraft, airport, and gate, and aircraft appears in the originally misaligned position.
 - Open the "Activate Ground Services" and select "Operate jetway(s)" to start GSX, but aircraft remains misaligned.
 - Open GSX "Customize airport positions..." menu and select "Customize Parking", then aircraft jumps to my customized position.

1.  How do I get the aircraft to start in the customized position when I load in at the gate?  
2.  Do I have to go to "Customized Parking" every time to get the aircraft to move to my customized position?

Thanks very much for addressing my issue!

Doug
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:00:22 pm by dmiannay »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSXv2 Not Saving Aircraft Parking (Stopping) Position
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:56 pm »
First, be sure you understand the difference between customizing the *parking* position (which is the position/rotation of the Parking spot ITSELF), and the *stop* position, which is the position GSX expect your airplane should end up when parking, used by the GSX Marshaller and the GSX Docking system.

The parking position is customized by clicking the "Customize Parking" button, and it's shown in the 3d editor as a large circle centered around the airplane, which becomes orange if it's active. If the large circle is orange, you know you are editing the *parking* position.

The Stop position is customized by clicking the "Customize Parking System" button, and it's shown in the 3d editor as a much smaller circle, that becomes orange with a "STOP" sign on top of it when it's active. If you see the stop sign, it means you are customizing the Stop position.

The parking position customization is used to fix in GSX any possible issue with the parking position/rotation/size in the underlying AFCAD without having to change the AFCAD itself. This only affects GSX, the simulator itself (AI, the standard "Go To Airport" menu, etc.) will continue to use the original data in the AFCAD.

The stop position customization is used to tell precisely where the airplane should stop, and it takes into account the preferred exit, as explained in the manual on the chapter "Understanding the Stop Position". This data is also used only by GSX Marshaller/Docking systems to know when to stop, and when you place the airport on a parking Using the GSX Menu.

That's why you probably got confused: if you used the standard World -> Go To Airport command, the simulator will continue to place the airplane center of mass in the center of the parking, as defined in the AFCAD. The simulator itself doesn't know anything about your GSX customization, so it will continue to use data from the AFCAD.

Instead, if you want to jump to a parking and being placed were GSX expects, you will have to use the GSX menu with the "Warp Me There" feature. Since this is a GSX feature which can basically replace the standard "Go To Airport", it  knows about your GSX customization, and will use it.

And, as explained in the manual on the stop position chapter, if you customized the parking with some kind of airplane model and you'll later use a different airplane, GSX will position (or will expect you to park) the new airplane using this strategy:

- The airplane in use will be positioned with its Preferred Exit lined on the same position of the Preferred Exit of the airplane used to customize the Stop Position, which will likely result in the front gear in a difference places, exactly like in reality, since the goal is to have the Preferred exit always in the same position, in order to move the jetway as little as possible and to be fairly sure that, if a jetway worked on the plane used to customize the parking, will likely work on a different airplane.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:07:33 pm by virtuali »

dmiannay

Re: GSXv2 Not Saving Aircraft Parking (Stopping) Position
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:19:04 pm »
A superbly clear answer, Umberto.  I get it fully now, and I appreciate the time you took to provide such a thorough answer.  Keep up the amazing work!

Doug