Author Topic: GSX Demo.  (Read 7998 times)

jaguar

GSX Demo.
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:17:38 am »
I installed GSX into FSX-SE ,after loading fsx-se and starting at EDDN  i checked the drop-down addon to make sure it had been installed. However, when I press Ctrl+F12 all I get is a small picture top left of screen "microsoft flight screenshot saved" I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but still unable to get gsx to work.

Your help would be appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Demo.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:58:12 pm »
That not a GSX problem so, it won't be fixed by reinstalling GSX.

The issue is that you have default Steam screenshot key enabled, and by default this key is set to be F12, but probably due how the different way Steam and FSX handles modifiers, it conflicts with anything that uses the F12, even if it's supposed to use modifiers (CTRL, Shift, etc.).

Since FSX already has a screenshot key (by default it's V), you might just disable the Steam screenshot key, under Steam->Settings->In Game

Of course, if you *want* to use the Steam screenshot feature (so the images can go on the Steam cloud automatically), you can also either *change* the Steam screenshot key OR change the GSX hotkey, using the "Key Mappings" menu under the "Couatl settings" menu.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:00:02 pm by virtuali »

jaguar

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:57:58 pm »
As you suggested I disabled screenshot key V in fsx-se but it makes no difference.  As regards to the "Couati settings" menu, could you please tell me where this is supposed to be , as I am cannot find it anywhere or the "Key Mappings" menu.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:11:59 pm »
As you suggested I disabled screenshot key V in fsx-se but it makes no difference.

That's not what I have suggested. I said to disable the *Steam* screenshot key, under Steam->Settings->In Game. The conflict is between the Steam F12 and the two F12 keys used by GSX so, it's no use disabling the "V" key, since there wasn't any conflict with it to begin with.

As regards to the "Couatl settings" menu, could you please tell me where this is supposed to be , as I am cannot find it anywhere or the "Key Mappings" menu.

Under the FSX "Addons" menu, there should be a Couatl Settings menu. You said you checked the addon menu to be sure GSX was installed correctly so, I assume you have the GSX menu too. If you have the GSX menu, then you surely have the Couatl settings menu too.

jaguar

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:40:22 pm »
Under the FSX "Addons" menu, there should be a Couatl Settings menu. You said you checked the addon menu to be sure GSX was installed correctly so, I assume you have the GSX menu too. If you have the GSX menu, then you surely have the Couatl settings menu too.

Under FSX "Addons" menu on the drop down all I have is  "Addon Manager 3.0.05"  and when you click on FSDreamteam and GSX it shows lower down the page that the product is in trial mode. There is no Couatl Settings menu
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:41:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:45:40 pm »
Under FSX "Addons" menu on the drop down all I have is  "Addon Manager 3.0.05"  and when you click on FSDreamteam and GSX it shows lower down the page that the product is in trial mode. There is no Couatl Settings menu

Then you have ANOTHER problem, which is unrelated to the issue of the Steam screenshot key conflict (that you'll still have to sort it out, after you manage to install GSX properly ), and is that GSX is not installed correctly and is not running.

The most likely cause for this issue, is the antivirus, that blocked the Couatl program (that is needed by GSX to work) from running, because it mistakenly identified it as a threat.

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

Under Steam, YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl settings" menu under the "Addons" menu

jaguar

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »
Completely turned off Anti virus  reinstalled GSX configured the two exclusions started up FSX-SE  only the Addon manager is showing in under the Addons menu. No Couati settings.

I would like to thank you for your time, but I have decided to forget GSX as there appears to be to much trouble to instal a Demo program.

Once again many thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:45:42 am »
I would like to thank you for your time, but I have decided to forget GSX as there appears to be to much trouble to instal a Demo program.

You don't want to do this mistake, because if Couatl is not running, and you are SURE the problem is not the antivirus, you have a problem with FSX itself, so you'll have issues later on with other addons.

It's possible you are missing the FSX Simconnect client libraries (needed by ALL FSX addons to run under FSX:SE), which can be reinstalled by launching this installer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

Our modules requires the FSX-XPACK version, but you might want to reinstall all 3 of them, because other addons made for FSX might require other versions. Our installer obviously install the correct version automatically but, something might have wrong with it, so it might be worth trying to reinstall.

Another possible reason for missing menus are missing VC++ 2013 libraries in your system. Our installer will of course install them automatically, but if they have been missing corrupted afterwards, you can try a reinstall:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Download and install the x86 version. Restart Windows after you installed them.

Also, you might have inadvertedly replied "No" to the question about running the Couatl module when you started FSX the first time after the installation, so FSX won't ask you again if you want to run it.

To Undo this and start from scratch, you can do as follows:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

- TURN YOUR ANTIVIRUS OFF.

With the antivirus still disabled, reinstall GSX. Use the latest full GSX installer on our site.

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

YourFSXfolder is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

jaguar

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 07:54:12 pm »
I uninstalled GSX completely, turned off internet security, reinstalled GSX, configured bglmanx.dll andCouatl.exe turned my internet security back on, fired up fsx-se only the addon manager appears on the drop down menu.      I then uninstalled GSX completely, turned off my internet, reinstalled GSX, fired up fsx-se, both addon manager and couati appears in the drop down menu, but because the internet is turned off GSX will not work.   It obviously has something to do with my internet security why the couati does not appear, but I cannot exclude everything on my internet.

I am finally giving up.  I have had no problems with any other addons that I have installed in FSX-SE and I cannot afford to loose any more hair.

Thanks again for all your help, maybe in the future I will try again.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:01 am »
I uninstalled GSX completely, turned off internet security, reinstalled GSX, configured bglmanx.dll andCouatl.exe turned my internet security back on

If you did what you wrote here, it seems you are confusing a firewall of the Internet explorer "Internet security" page, with the antivirus.

You must exclude the files from the antivirus real-time scanning, NOT from internet security. If you configured them as internet security exceptions, you are only grant them the right to go online (which none of them needs anyway), but they will still be blocked by the antivirus if you don't configure them *there*.

but because the internet is turned off GSX will not work.   It obviously has something to do with my internet security why the couati does not appear, but I cannot exclude everything on my internet.

GSX doesn't need an internet connection. There's no need to turn off internet security AT ALL. You must configure the antivirus properly, instead.

I am finally giving up.  I have had no problems with any other addons that I have installed in FSX-SE and I cannot afford to loose any more hair.

The operation requested was very simple, you simply had to do it correctly, inside the antivirus, not the firewall or the IE internet security settings.

What *antivirus* program you use ?

jaguar

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
Hello again,

My antivirus is part of Kaspersky Internet Security.    I turned off all anti virus components within the internet security and reinstalled GSX.  It still does not work, couati does not appear in the drop down menu.

With all due respect, if one has to turn off certain components of there antivirus etc. just to install a program, then i am not interested, everything else which I have installed on FSX-SE has never given me a problem whatsoever.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help but I am not going to spend anymore time on this program.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »
My antivirus is part of Kaspersky Internet Security.  

This one ?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/14/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814

Beginning more than a decade ago, one of the largest security companies in the world, Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab, tried to damage rivals in the marketplace by tricking their antivirus software programs into classifying benign files as malicious, according to two former employees.

I turned off all anti virus components within the internet security and reinstalled GSX.  It still does not work, couati does not appear in the drop down menu.

You must have done something wrong, then, otherwise the program would start

With all due respect, if one has to turn off certain components of there antivirus etc. just to install a program, then i am not interested, everything else which I have installed on FSX-SE has never given me a problem whatsoever.

That's just because you haven't installed enough addon into it (yet), but you'll run into problems soon enough. Flight1 modules, for example, have similar issues with antivirus. Of course, it's not their fault, it's just that some antivirus are simply too invasive.

After the recent news (see the above article and please, read it entirely ), I wouldn't touch anything made by Kaspersky with a ten foot pole, and I would uninstall it immediately, if I were you.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help but I am not going to spend anymore time on this program.

If you want, we can have a Teamviewer session, so I can check your system directly, and have you running in minutes...send me a PM if you are interested.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:08:57 pm by virtuali »

Rockbuster

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »
Hey will you fix mine in minutes too as the same problem is happening with my P3dv4 and FSX-se or wil you just vanish again and put me in the too hard basket.

BTW I DID all you asked me to do. As well as got rid of Kaspersky and a total reinstall of both simulators.

So may I get a Teamview session.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:44:19 pm by Rockbuster »