Author Topic: Saving Editing Work  (Read 2176 times)

paulh1

Saving Editing Work
« on: August 17, 2018, 12:41:11 pm »
Hi All

I have been spending a bit of time editing all the airports that I have included in created flights.
Flying a 747  can be limiting sometimes, as there are not as many large gates available.
Hence I have to edit quite a few and make sure that they all have jetways available where possible,
and the safe dock 3 systems are in place.
I would like to know, after all this work, are there some files I can backup, so If I have to reinstall GSX
all these edited airport gates can be reinstalled back to the way I created them. In Pro-ATC/X there are two files
you can back up which will recreate all the flight plans you have created in the program. Can I do this with GSX?

Regards  Paul

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Saving Editing Work
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:16:17 pm »
I would like to know, after all this work, are there some files I can backup, so If I have to reinstall GSX all these edited airport gates can be reinstalled back to the way I created them.

GSX (like any proper Windows program should do), doesn't store your own-created files in any of its program folders which would eventually removed when reinstall it. If you "just" reinstall GSX, nothing of your own preference will ever be removed.

The only case when you must worry about such files being possibly lost, is if you reinstall Windows, either after a reformat, or when reinstalling it and choosing the option to clear up all your programs and settings.

As explained on the GSX manual, Page 31, the folder that contains all your airport customizations is here:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX

As explained on the GSX manual, Page 36, the folder that contains all your airplane customizations is here:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes

Raphael

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 06:35:21 am »
Yep, and i would add 2 more things if using GSX2:

1) Backup your SIM.CFG @ C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc\FSDT_SODE_jetway_logo

This one might contain information regarding your LOGOs for specific jetway customization, and after restart and update, just add lines in sequence after the last number and remember to put textures folder back in according to your customizations...

2) Backup Gate vehicle position customization:   You got to enter each scenery you performed your MODs, but its time saving if you do. (I think it works for GSX1 too)

But i have a question:   ??? I wonder if step 2 is a valid backup for re-formating the PC and/or what else should it be backed up besides what is told above...  Is it really going to work??   Wont have problems with coordinates or something like that after just pasting files in the sceneries "Scenery" folder?   

Now that Windows 10 1809 is about to be officially released, is possible that i give it a try after a while but id like to back everything up before.....

Thanks in advance...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »
My previous reply already contained all the needed information to do a backup of your GSX customizations, with the exception of an eventual change of the jetways logos.

Raphael

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:43:03 pm »
Sorry, may be im not understanding,

I see you point to 2 folders only:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes

In adition to that and besides the LOGO information contained in SIM folder, Im talking about the particular scenery INI files created inside each particular 3rd party "scenery folder" when customizing vehicle position for 3rd party sceneries....  And my question is:   Is it necesary?  May be you mean that, only those files inside the pointed folders are needed but, what about
those INI files inside each scenery folder???  (For Expl, see attached KMSP INI files created inside the KMSP/Scenery folder...

Im just trying to save some reinstall time and just wanted to add value to the thread, there is V4.4 comming, and Windows 10 1809 so many questions came to me after reading manuals and trying the configs before formating my PC...

Thanks for support
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:14:17 pm by Raphael »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 02:02:06 pm »
what about those INI files inside each scenery folder???  (For Expl, see attached KMSP INI files created inside the KMSP/Scenery folder...

Such files are not created by GSX, they are supplied by the scenery developer, so you don't have to worry about making a backup, since they are coming with the scenery installer.

Unless, of course, you made/downloaded them, and manually placed there, which is not the suggested place to have user customizations (the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder is). In that case, you must make a backup of them too.