Author Topic: Disable 'Bong" Sound  (Read 4379 times)

acof04

Disable 'Bong" Sound
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:04:49 pm »
Is/are there a/any way to disable that irritating 'BONG' sound associated with "set parking brakes immediately?" If not, could you PLEASE disable that check? It has absolutely no impact on whether the GSX completes the tasks.

Thanks, Paul McGhee
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:15:07 pm by acof04 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Disable 'Bong" Sound
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:49:49 pm »
Please clarify what you are doing that would result in the message and which airplane you are using.

acof04

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:59:04 pm »
P3DV4.x - All PMDG Boeings. Sitting on the ramp during preflight/post-flight. I understand about the simconnect timing issues, I understand about the parking break issues. I can live with those issues. What I have trouble with is that irritating and repeating 'BONG' sound used when any warning message appears. It's not just parking brakes, it's the sound used for any warning ….safety issues mainly I guess. All I'm asking is Please either change that sound, or just have the warning once instead of 'nagging/repeating' every few seconds.

DMdoc

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 03:13:56 pm »
Is/are there a/any way to disable that irritating 'BONG' sound associated with "set parking brakes immediately?" If not, could you PLEASE disable that check? It has absolutely no impact on whether the GSX completes the tasks.

I haven't checked, but I assume the bong sound is a small .wav or other similar file somewhere in the GSX folder. If so, perhaps deleting it (or renaming it) would eliminate the sound, at least til the next update. Has anyone found it yet -- if not, I'll look for it soon...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 03:18:07 pm »
P3DV4.x - All PMDG Boeings. Sitting on the ramp during preflight/post-flight.

You haven't answered to my question. The message doesn't come just because you are sitting on the ramp doing nothing.

It comes if you removed parking brakes when you shouldn't. Some airplanes supports the use of wheelchocks in place of parking brakes so, please, clarify precisely which airplane you use, and if you maybe released the parking brakes to be replaced by wheel chocks.

acof04

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
Ok, this is getting frustrating. I'm sitting with the parking breaks set. I'm  not asking for any warning to not appear, just please don't use that IRRITATING sound. or just tell ne where it is located and I'll delete it!!! I'm not asking for anything other than how do I disable that sound!!!!!!!! I really do like GSX, and have many of your products. At least I'm not whining about issues which are included in the manuals or videos because I'm too stupid to read the manuals or watch the videos or simply experiment. I think your products are really good and far better that the other alternatives. I've used them in past versions of flight sim and now I use GSX only. Why, because to me GSX is the best.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »
Ok, this is getting frustrating. I'm sitting with the parking breaks set. I'm  not asking for any warning to not appear, just please don't use that IRRITATING sound. or just tell ne where it is located and I'll delete it!!! I'm not asking for anything other than how do I disable that sound!!!!!!!!

You are confusing two issues here:

- The fact the sound is irritating, which is a very minor issue, and can be fixed very easily in a way that I can show you.

- The fact you are getting such message to begin with. This is the real interesting issue, which is why I asked what you were doing it because, turning off the sound is NOT a fix, if GSX is giving that message for no reason, I would like to know.

So, you say the message comes out by itself, with parking brakes on, at the gate ? This is not normal, and nobody ever reported it before.

WHEN, exactly, you set the parking brakes and when, exactly, the message comes out ?

acof04

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 04:42:14 pm »
Ok, PMDG 747-400, 747-8, 737-800. On ramp either at gate or cargo ramp, parking brake set, no chocks. Start the GSX flow. In the past, GSX always told me to set parking brakes even though they were set. When I set the parking brake again, it was ok, no more warnings unless for what ever reason something detects the parking brake is off. In the past, simply touching the rudders would trigger that. But that was years ago in both FS-9 and FSX. I know there is an issue in P3D which PMDG discusses in their manual about the 'BRAKES' message in P3D not going away, and having to double tap the brakes if the PMDG aircraft won't move. I usually don't have to do that. but the BRAKES message in P3D remains. This is different than the P3D message about differential/parking brakes. I'm not asking you to solve those issues. I can live with them, but that sound is really irritating.  :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 04:47:45 pm »
Ok, so the real issue is that some PMDG airplanes sometimes change the parking brakes status for no reason, so the red "brakes" message in the sim comes out too ?

I only wanted to be sure it didn't had anything to do with GSX, which simply checks the standard variable for the parking brake.

You can disable the sound by removing the Addon Manager\Couatl\GSX\sounds\BEEP_ERROR.WAV file.

Note that, each time you run the FSDT Live Update, it will be restored back, so you will have to remove it again. You can prevent this, by placing an empty file named DONTUPDATE in the sounds folder but, this will then prevent you from getting any updates to that folder we'll eventually release in the future.

acof04

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 05:04:38 pm »
Thank you for the help. ;D I'm looking forward to KORD.

wsmeier

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 01:18:23 am »
Ok, so the real issue is that some PMDG airplanes sometimes change the parking brakes status for no reason, so the red "brakes" message in the sim comes out too ?

I only wanted to be sure it didn't had anything to do with GSX, which simply checks the standard variable for the parking brake.

I imagine this complaint is related to the new PMDG 748. Setting the chocks in this airplane doesn't set the standard parking brake variable you describe, so you actually have to set the parking brake for GSX to work. With most other airplanes, chocks are enough to simulate the parking brake being set. But an additional complication comes from the long preflight procedure in the 748. After setting the parking brake, pressure in the accumulator starts to slowly decrease to the point that the brake is no longer seen by GSX as being set. Hence the bong sound and the admonition to immediately set the parking brake. You then have to briefly turn on hydraulics to pressurize the accumulator so that GSX can resume. Maybe we can petition PMDG to send the parking brake variable anytime the chocks are in place...

acof04

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 02:19:41 am »
Actually it happens with all of them (PMDG 737,747). I don't have any other aircraft which has a need for GSX until the GA support comes out.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 01:57:42 pm »
Actually it happens with all of them (PMDG 737,747).

No, it doesn't. All of these (and the 777), are configured in GSX to use the wheelchocks INSTEAD of the parking brakes.

The only one that doesn't, is the new 748, because we still haven't made an internal configuration for it. The above feature is not configurable from the standard airplane configuration page, we can only do it internally.