Author Topic: Icing conditions  (Read 3658 times)

EdS45

Icing conditions
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:13 am »
Situation EGLL 26July2018 time 13:11. Temperature 15c. Weather engine AS. P3d v4.3
GSX tells me "due to icing conditions ....etc".
How can that be?

Ricovandijk

• Facebook
Re: Icing conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:11:18 pm »
GSX registers icing conditions at +8 or below,

however that is correct from an aircraft anti-icing point of view (you should switch on engine a/i on).

For ground icing conditions we would never de-ice when the temperature is above +3.
Even when the aircraft has cold soaked wings, we would just get some new fuel in and turn on the booster pumps to melt it off.

Slippery conditions will not be an issue at any temperature below +1. Even at smaller airports where the taxiways are not treated.

I hope that helps, it would be great if you could update GSX with these numbers to make it a little closer to perfect.

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:27:46 pm »
GSX registers icing conditions at +8 or below,

No, it doesn't. The below +8 is the absolute limit for even considering possible icing but, when icing is above zero (and below +8 ), will be registered only in these cases:

- Dew point is within 2°C of temperature (high humidity)

- Dew point is higher than temperature (super saturated air)

- It's either raining/snowing

If the temperature is between 0 and +8, but none of the above is true, deicing won't be registered.

ashun

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:22:32 am »
Today I was flying from HAAB airport, temp 21, dew point 6. I was told by gsx that due to icing conditions do not start engine till pushback is completed.
This has happened only after latest update.

Best wishes
Ash

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 11:25:28 am »
Today I was flying from HAAB airport, temp 21, dew point 6. I was told by gsx that due to icing conditions do not start engine till pushback is completed. This has happened only after latest update.

That's not possible it happened with the last update, since the last update made deicing even less probable.

In the previous version, if GSX received an invalid metar, or no metar at all, it allowed deicing. In the last update, in order to prevent users assuming this could be a GSX problem, deicing is more restrictive, and in case an invalid metar or no metar is received, is disabled.

I guess you use Active Sky ?

ashun

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 11:29:09 am »
Yes active sky. I never had this issue before.

infoclubic

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 11:57:32 pm »
Old topic but actual problem.

I'm flying from FAOR today using Active Sky (METAR : FAOR 152100Z 21006KT CAVOK 10/M04 Q1031 NOSIG RMK SHARED BY DUPLICATE STATION: FAJS) and GSX detect an icing condition. Can you tell me why ?

Koen

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:58 am »
Does it consider airport elevation. I had a request at Denver a couple of days ago. It had a temperature of 19 Celsius and 7 Celsius dew point. With pressure at A2993 and no rain or snow.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 02:48:55 pm »
Old topic but actual problem.

The problem, which is NOT a GSX problem, has been discussed so many times on the forum, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,19670.msg137432.html#msg137432

The linked thread indicates what GSX will do in the next version, to prevent wrong/corrupted/missing data from Simconnect usually in combination with 3rd party weather engines, to be mistakenly assumed to be a GSX bug.