Author Topic: Big Stutters approaching rwy 14 + 16  (Read 6566 times)

PeterZ KCLE EDDN

Big Stutters approaching rwy 14 + 16
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:54:09 pm »
Hi there,

first of all let me say that I am fascinated by this extremely detailed scenery. I'm running FS9 on WinXP home (SP2) on a pretty powerfull system,  however, whenever I approach LSZH from the northwest approaching rwy 14 or 16 just before touching down (around 100 feet agl, almost above the numbers) I get 2-3 big stutters.

This happens with or without traffic or real weather (AS6). I have a feeling it has to do with the design of the scenery and when certain parts of the scenery are loaded to make it frame rate friendly, but thats just a guess as I am not a designer. My frames are way above 40 FPS but I do get this very annoing stutter, I almost experience it as a pause, it is that bad of a stutter. Otherwise the scenery works like a charm, and, as I said I don't have any performance or FPS problem.

Can anyone confirm this? Is there a possible fix for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete

GIGABYTE Light 3D Galaxy II Liquid Cooling
ENERMAX Galaxy EGA850EWL ATX 850W Power Supply
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Mobo
Core 2 Duo E6700 1066MHz FSB 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB SDRAM DDR2 800
GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
SBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1
2 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Raid0
1 Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
WinXP Home SP2
CH Yoke/Pedals

headley

Re: Big Stutters approaching rwy 14 + 16
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:22:26 pm »
Hi,
I also have experienced this.  Even after trial time (not yet purchased).
Just installed and did some small flights (trial time is really short, not even time to make an approach from farther away).
Anyway, beautifull scenery!
Regards,

William V.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 04:43:54 pm »
I also have experienced this.  Even after trial time (not yet purchased).

This is an useful comment. Since after the trial, all buildings disappears, at least we know it's not something related to the 3d scenery, or LOD optimizations. I guess it might be texture loading, probably for the background. A solution might be lowering the global maximum texture size slider one notch, since it will revert to using 512x512 textures at maximum, instead of 1024x1024, basically as it was in Zurich 1.0.

PeterZ KCLE EDDN

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:16:25 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I have a pretty powerfull system and don't have any problems with other add-on's like Aeorosoft's EDDF or Flytampa's LOWW. Large textures don't represent a big problem for my video card or processor. I believe it's more the timing of when buildings will be displayed as one approaches the airport.

Since the airport is so frame rate friendly anyways, would it be possible to have buildings (parts of buildings, gates etc.) appear when one is farther out on approach and not just as one touches down?

Just a thought,

Pete

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:11:41 pm »
I was guessing on headley's comment: the fact the problem appeared also with the trial expired, lead to believe it's not something related to buildings because, after the trial time, there are no buildings anymore.

However, it's quite a difficult compromise to choose between being constantly at an high frame rate, risking stuttering when different level of detail kick in, or having a constantly lower frame, with less stuttering.

Considering all the sort of addons people might use, it's basically impossible to guess performances on the actual user's configurations. While we are quite sure the frame rate is very good, moments of stuttering are way more difficult to anticipate, because they also depend on everything else you have in that area in a specific moment: default scenery + addon scenery (mesh, vtp terrain addons), addon ai traffic, etc. Tuning for less stuttering on one configuration, might simply create a bigger problem on another one.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 02:36:39 pm »
Here's an interesting post with very useful tweaks suggestions to improve stuttering:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=printer_friendly&forum=263&topic_id=33608&mesg_id=33621