Author Topic: Addon manager now blocked by antivirus?  (Read 2525 times)

bobpr

Addon manager now blocked by antivirus?
« on: September 14, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »
I now have two 'live update' apps, one dated 9/14 and the other dated 9/7. Which one?

The Addon manager will not start do to antivirus blocking no, that was not the case before the update. What changed?

I don't have time to keep trouble shooting these apps.

Bob

bobpr

Re: Addon manager now blocked by antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:54:40 pm »
I uninstalled then re-installed GSX and P3d would not start. Deleted P3dv4.3 config, still would not start and not showing in Task Manager. I don't know what the Live Update changed but it completely hosed P3d. I restored the Add on Folder from a Image backup and humpty dumpty is backed together. I hope others do not see the same issue.

Bob

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:08:20 pm »
The Live Update cannot possibly caused that.

If the antivirus blocked something, the worse it could happen is the Addon Manager/Couatl might not start, and so GSX and all the FSDT airports wouldn't run, but it's shouldn't cause the simulator to hang. Well, unless it tried something really dangerous: like trying to "heal" some files from a non-existant threat and, if the affected file was an executable, than changing even a single byte in it, will likely crash the sim.

When the sim crash hard, sometimes Windows automatically sets a special compatibility flag in the registry, but this on FSX or P3D has the opposite effect, and prevents the sim from starting, even after a Windows restart, because the setting is stored in the registry.

But, we CLEAR that wrong set in registry with the Live Update so, it might have been enough to just run Live Update again (once you are sure the Addon Manager folder is excluded by the antivirus), to have the sim restarting again normally.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:10:54 pm »
I now have two 'live update' apps, one dated 9/14 and the other dated 9/7. Which one?

The Live Update has always been made in two parts, with the first one downloading only the 2nd step, allowing the Live Update to update itself. But you don't have to wonder which one is right. We put an icon on the Desktop precisely for that reason, which points to the first one, so you can't go wrong.