Author Topic: Massive FPS drop during boarding  (Read 5819 times)

Artox67

Massive FPS drop during boarding
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:17:27 am »
Since last update, doesn't matter if Lvl 2 active or not I got a massive FPS drop during boarding and PB.

As soon GSX is not longer active after PB the FPS goes back to normal.

The FPS droppes all couple of sec to a value of 5-6.

https://i.imgur.com/aNLEwFU.jpg

Top left corner you see the values.

First one is minimum rate second one is average and third one is the maximum rate.

5,2/32,3/38,3

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:18:09 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Massive FPS drop during boarding
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
I already posted a video earlier, showing no fps drop and no high cpu utilization, with the PMDG 747-400, at JFK, while boarding Passengers AND Cargo AT THE SAME TIME.

You don't say which simulator you use, you don't say anything about your hardware or your settings. If your graphic settings are too high, if your texture memory is close to exhaustion, you WILL see a very sharp drop in fps, this is normal, there's nothing we can do, you can only lower your settings.

Because of your settings and other addon installed, you were probably already close to memory exhaustion, and adding the few GSX object might just be what crossed the memory threshold. Note that, I'm referring to Video Ram memory here, not system RAM.

Reducing the maximum texture size and/or the antialiasing settings might help, since they both consume VRAM. And Autogen too.

Artox67

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 11:40:09 am »
@Umberto

regarding the memory, if have a look at the screenshot you will see all my  tec-specs and also the utilization of memory CPU etc.

It makes no sense and is semi-helpful to reply all the time your posts.

It is like it is. The FPS drop starts after updating GSX with the last update.

But vor you my specs again:

P3D v4.3 used with FSLabs as shown on the screenshot.

intel i7700k OC to 4800 Mhz
ASUS Styx 1070 OC power to 112%
16 GB RAM
Samsung SSD for Win10 Prof and SSD for P3D

Samsung SSD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:49:17 am »
regarding the memory, if have a look at the screenshot you will see all my  tec-specs and also the utilization of memory CPU etc.

There's nothing there that says how *much* VRAM you have. And nothing about which simulator you used. That's why I asked. You now said you use P3D 4.3, and you overclocked your card, but is still not clear how much VRAM it has.

In addition to a video showing there's NO high CPU/GPU usage on an high-end airplane, on a big airport with 147 SODE jetways, while doing deboarding of passengers+cargo, I ALSO posted several suggestions to try.

Have you already tried all of them ? And the result is ?

I'll add other suggestions:

- If you use a custom AffinityMask tweak, remove it and go back to default. On MY system, all the time I tried it, it always make things much worse with big delays loading textures.

- Try with no overclocking

- Reset you shader and scenery caches, by removing these folders:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SceneryIndexes_x64

woozie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43:06 pm »
If i may chime in, seeing a similar issue (lag every couple of seconds) as soon as i start boarding, the lag slowly disappears after a few mins. For me it seems like it could be caused by loading the different pax models, but thats just a wild guess.

My specs:

P3Dv4.3 / GSX Level 2
I7-8700k/GTX1080/16GB 3200 RAM

No AF, no HT, unlimited FPS - P3D usually runs lag free, even with complex addon planes.

Already deleted my scenery index, but will try shader deletion and report back tonight.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »
You must expect *SOME* fps lag or cpu spike when using passengers! Nothing you add to the sim is "free". You are parked, not flying, some kind of impact is perfectly normal and should be accepted.

Which is why, there's a "Passenger Density" slider in the settings, if they had zero impact on the simulator, we wouldn't put a slider, and simply drawn a dense crowd by default...I can use it at "Insane" with no issues, but I DO see some fps impact at that level.

Is to be expected that, if your system is already overloaded by other addons, you might not afford to use the highest passenger density. It's called "Insane" for a reason...

Artox67

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 02:00:38 pm »
I tried now without GSX LvL 2 and ists still the same.

As soon you use anything regarding GSX FPS dropes every couple of sec to 5-6.

Stop using GSX and the FPS goes back to normal

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 02:31:16 pm »
It's useless keep repeating the same, I believe you have an fps drop when you use GSX. And I think I posted a fairly complete list of things you can TRY.

You haven't said anything if you tried ALL the solutions I posted and if any of them made any difference. I'll point it to this post here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/541685-gsx-v2-released-animated-pax-and-sode-jetways-everywhere/?do=findComment&comment=3894229

Just installed and tested....Whooo! Just brilliant. One of the addon of the year for me!!!

And the icing on the cake, practically no Fps impact with insane option on my config (ORBX airports)!

Artox67

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 03:12:32 pm »
I tried all what you suggested.

I don't had and don't have any affinity mask and no other changes in CFG.

Of course I posted in the wrong thread sorry about this.

But now without Addon manager no more dropes. Is it possible to get the previus Addon manager back?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:55:56 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 03:57:41 pm »
But now without Addon manager no more dropes. Is it possible to get the previus Addon manager back?

The Addon Manager doesn't have anything to do with this. By disabling the Addon Manager, you disabled the whole GSX, all our objects, everything. So, your problem is not the Addon Manager, but the fact GSX objects cause an abnormal impact on your fps.

Have you tried different textures size settings ?

Artox67

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 04:52:14 pm »
I'm on medium texture res.

Did you change the textures of the GSX models?

I did not see this issue before the last update.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 05:05:34 pm »
Did you change the textures of the GSX models?

Only the new jetways.

Artox67

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »
So far so good.

After reinstall GSX now the blurries are gone. As mentioned in the other thread but still massive FPS droppes during boarding and cargo loading.

Just back on GSX base, no LvL 2 atm.

FireCapt

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 05:53:07 pm »
try setting you shadow to medium and see if that help.  I know when I had mine on high there were frame hits. Less so on the medium setting.

Artox67

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
Now I experience something very curiosity.

The FPS drop doesn't appear during deboarding. Also I've no FPS drop during second boarding e.g. fly again without restarting this simulator.