Author Topic: Flickering Gate Numbers  (Read 1989 times)

downscc

Flickering Gate Numbers
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:42:09 pm »
First let me say I love GSX Level 2 jetway features.  My todo list included learning how to place SODE jetways and now you have gone ahead and done that for me in a much more elegant way than I could have even done it.  Thanks.

In P3Dv4.3 with high display settings on a 4K monitor with dual 1080Ti SLI cards I've got flickering gate numbers.  Tried different font sizes and colors but haven't found the solution. Suggestions?

UPDATE:  I think the flickering is solved by using smaller font.  The default is 36 pt but my display seems to work better with 34 pt or smaller.

Also please note that bridge color does not "stick" e.g. if it is set White and I open the customize jetway UI it will always show Default for bridge color, regardless of color that it is already set to.  This causes problems for user if I don't want to change bridge color to Defualt and forget to reset it to White each time before I click Apply.

I notice your labels are confusing in the saved config file.  You use jetway2_xxxx for everything but jetway_bridge2.  This would trip me.

UPDATE2:  New P3D session and on loading my aircraft I again see the flickering gate number with size set to 20 pt normal weight.  Tried a couple of things and right now MAYBE I'm okay by changing to MS Sans Serif font where it appears I can use bold 36 pt.  I understand our OS settings affect this, mine starts with Ariel Bold 36 pt. and that Ariel or Ariel Dark does flicker.

UPDATE3:  No joy... new P3D session and loading a B77L at this same gate (KORD C16) I again have flickering so severe that I can barely make out the digits.  Using MS Sans Serif bold 36 pt normal stretch.  Looking for suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:04:09 am by downscc »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Flickering Gate Numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:30 am »
I can't see any flickering with any font. Are you using some changed camera settings ? Something that might affect z-buffer precision, like Chaseplane, Ezdok camera, etc ?

skyymann

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:36:31 am »
This MAY have something to do with the Realight issue we ran into while testing the Aerosoft Air busses. Anyone with SLI (Like me!) was getting flickering cockpit lights and the only way to stop it Was to kill SLI. TFDI is very aware of the issue and is working with LM to try to fix it. I also see the gate numbers flickering and it sure looks like the same thing we saw with Realight. It looks like the SLI thing. Try disabling SLI and see if the flicker goes away.

Scott

downscc

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 05:31:07 pm »
Sincerely appreciate the feedback Scott.  I'd rather go without gate numbers than my SLI LOL.
However, might be a good troubleshooting step just to put a better definition on the problem.

Jury is still out, but maybe using a black font on yellow background might be working.  If those flicker then I'll try killing the SLI.

Meanwhile I'll just do the best with what we have until an update from LM or FSDT or NVidia fixes this nit.
Also, definitely not using any camera addon... not my thing.

UPDATE:  I tried it with the SLI off and the flickering was gone, but also the flickering I originally reported at FSDT KORD did not appear at Aerosoft EDDF.  And again with SLI back on at KORD I notice that if I restart couatl the flickering stops.  This is not an easy one to pin down.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:17:27 pm by downscc »