Author Topic: GSX2 Chrashed my P3Dv4  (Read 7186 times)

Jack J Jackson

GSX2 Chrashed my P3Dv4
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:56:48 pm »
I had to reinstall my OS (WIN10 pro) due to a HD crash. As all my registry entries were deleted (YES I know, should have taken a registry-backup) I had to reinstall ALL my programs.

I installed a fresh copy of P3DV4 and all addons I have. I started with all scenerys and after that my aircrafts. Started P3D and everything worked just fine. I then installed my GSX that I bought in 2012 and which I have regularly updated (last update 07-14-2018). Ok I have to admit that I did NOT start P3D after that installation. I then installed GSX Level 2 that I bought 09-07-2018.

After that I tried to start P3D, with no luck. Got a black screen and after a few seconds the error message that P3D had stopped working. I used Win to uninstall GSX and after the uninstallation, tried to start P3D.....  same error message. I searched my HD for "leftover" FSDT program entries/librarys, registry entries, Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-onsand entries in Appdata and deleted what I found. But...... P3D gave me the same error message and yes I restarted my computer several times.

Any hints what I have done wrong? Do I dare to reinstall GSX+GSX Level? I do NOT want to  use 2 days to repair/reinstall my P3Dv4 again.

Jack
the Swede in Spain

sanookbkk

Re: GSX2 Chrashed my P3Dv4
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:34:05 pm »
Try to delete shaders folder in
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
and Prepar3D.cfg in
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:36:31 pm »
Run the FSDT Live Update again. Sometimes Windows mistakenly set a wrong compatibility flag to an application that crashed once, but that settings would then prevent it to start it forever, because it's stored in the registry.

The Live Update clears that setting, so it might just fix the problem.

sanookbkk

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:33:22 pm »
Run the FSDT Live Update again. Sometimes Windows mistakenly set a wrong compatibility flag to an application that crashed once, but that settings would then prevent it to start it forever, because it's stored in the registry.

The Live Update clears that setting, so it might just fix the problem.

Well it seems that the new GSX just throw my P3Dv4 install in a mess.
It was working well at first but had some ctd from time to time while installing new jetways.
Then after the last CDT P3D never started again.
- I first deleted shaders and Prepar3D.cfg -> didn't work
- then i used the "Delete Generated Files" in P3Dv4 folder then deleted Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and Prepar3D v4 Files in documents folder -> didn't work
- I used the repair fonction of P3Dv4 -> didn't work
- i did Run the FSDT Live Update again -> didn't work

So now i am stuck with an unworking P3Dv4 so i am quite pissed.
I know you will say that it is impossible that the new gsx did that but I don't see any other reason as I didn't install anything except thru the FSDT addon manager today.

My P3Dv4 was working like a charm since i purchased it when it went out, I installed all kind of sceneries, complicated plane add on from PMDG and FSLabs,FS2Crew,MCE, activesky, orbx, ezdock, etc etc, went thru the v2 and V3 updates without any problems and today I instelled GSX level2 and my P3D install is dead....  >:(

And apparently i am not the only one as Jack J Jackson has the same problem
-

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:48:59 pm »
Well it seems that the new GSX just throw my P3Dv4 install in a mess

no, it hasn't.

It was working well at first but had some ctd from time to time while installing new jetways.

What do you mean with this ? The *simulator* crashed while *installing* new jetways ? You cannot "install" new jetways while the simulator is running!

So now i am stuck with an unworking P3Dv4 so i am quite pissed.
I know you will say that it is impossible that the new gsx did that but I don't see any other reason as I didn't install anything except thru the FSDT addon manager today.

Yes, it's NOT possible. Something else was the real cause, and you are associating it with the GSX installer, but that's not enough proof to indicate the GSX installer was the cause. If some of your config files already had a problem, the real cause is who or what really caused that problem, not the GSX installer which might tried to configure them

And please not, we DO NOT change ANY of the simulator configuration files. Other addons do that, but NOT our installers! The only time our installer changes any of the P3D configuration file, is NOT doing it ITSELF. It does it in the proper way, by starting Prepar3D from the command line, asking TO P3D to do all the required modifications BY ITSLEF!

So, if one of your configuration files had a problem, it was the sim ITSELF that couldn't modify properly so, you cannot fault GSX for just having asked the simulator to update its own files by itself.

I wanted to make this clear, because you maybe didn't knew P3D has services for addon developers that allow them to ask to the sim *itself* to add an add-on to it, without having to touch the files directly. So, without knowing this, you could be easily mislead we might have corrupted one of the simulator configuration files, maybe because we tried to edit them directly.

But we don't, that's why I said it's NOT possible installing GSX would leave the simulator unusable.

Are you able to UNINSTALL GSX ? Does the sim starts after you do that ?

sanookbkk

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 11:22:41 pm »
What do you mean with this ? The *simulator* crashed while *installing* new jetways ? You cannot "install" new jetways while the simulator is running!

I mean that when I used the modify parking fonction, adding new jetways, P3D had CTD from time to time ( I never have CDT when flying "normally")
After the last of these CDT , P3D never started again and stayed stucked on the splash screen endlessly.
That's when i went to the different steps i wrote above :

- I runned FSDT Live Updater -> didn't work
- I uninstalled GSX -> didn't work
- I first deleted shaders and Prepar3D.cfg -> didn't work
- then i used the "Delete Generated Files" in P3Dv4 folder then deleted Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and Prepar3D v4 Files in documents folder -> didn't work
- I used the repair fonction of P3Dv4 -> didn't work

Know when i start P3D it is stuck forever at 98% generating scenery file index and never starts.

I don't know what happened, maybe something has been modified in my reg file by i don't know what but the fact is P3D is not working anymore and I installed and only used GSX today...
I even tried with my original scenery.cfg and it is stuck at 52% generating scenery file index and never start

It might be a bad coincidence but as I said I installed all kind of addons and all P3Dv4 updates and never had a problem in 15 months except having to delete shader folder from time to time.
Today i played around with GSX Level 2, creating jetways and my PD3 is now a total mess.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:25:32 pm by sanookbkk »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 11:26:46 pm »
Know when i start P3D it is stuck forever at 98% generating scenery file index and never starts
I even tried with my original scenery.cfg and it is stuck at 52% generating scenery file index and never start

GSX is totally inactive at that stage. It will START loading only AFTER the simulator has finished loading everything, and the scenery appears.

Try this:

- Open the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.INI file with Notepad

- Look for this lines:

[common_prepar3dv4]
antipopup = 30
viewoptimization = 0
altitudecull = 0
groundtraffic = 1
forceshadows = 0
capfps = 0
disablertt = 0

see the last line ? Change it into this:

disablertt = 1

And save the file. See if P3D starts correctly now.

sanookbkk

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 11:31:07 pm »
it is already   disablertt = 1

[common_prepar3dv4]
antipopup = 30
viewoptimization = 0
groundtraffic = 1
capfps = 0
disablertt = 1
altitudecull = 0
forceshadows = 0

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 11:33:34 pm »
it is already   disablertt = 1

Have you tried it setting to 0, which is the default ?

RTT is the only thing potentially "dangerous" GSX does, which obviously works for everybody, but MIGHT not work if video drivers have bugs but, if it was already disabled, you already removed the only thing in GSX that can in *theory* (when the drivers have problems) crash the sim.

sanookbkk

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 11:35:55 pm »
I just tried to put = 0 but still P3D doesn't start
I don't have the generating files anymore put it is stuck on splash screen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 11:37:43 pm »
I just tried to put = 0 but still P3D doesn't start. I don't have the generating files anymore put it is stuck on splash screen

When it does that, run the FSDT Live Update, which will clear the wrong compatibility flag Windows might have put in the registry, which is preventing the simulator from starting, if it crashed for ANY reason.

sanookbkk

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 11:48:54 pm »
I just runned the updater , which told me that i should have GSX installed when checking my installed FSDT sceneries,
but same, still stucked on the spash screen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 11:53:52 pm »
I just runned the updater , which told me that i should have GSX installed when checking my installed FSDT sceneries,

That's even more clear proof GSX didn't had anything to do with this. Is not even *installed* !! I asked if you are able to UNINSTALL GSX, are you ?

If you uninstall GSX from the Windows Control Panel and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager", it will just remove everything related to it so, if your sim is still not starting, you'll have final proof the problem doesn't have anything to do with GSX.

sanookbkk

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 12:03:21 am »
I removed GSX  but said "no" for the addon manager the addon manager.

sanookbkk

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 12:20:37 am »
Sometimes Windows mistakenly set a wrong compatibility flag to an application that crashed once, but that settings would then prevent it to start it forever, because it's stored in the registry.

Do you know where i could look in the registry for this "flag" as it might have flagged something else which prevent P3D from starting...