Author Topic: This update requires the latest GSX full installer  (Read 13635 times)

Cloudrider

This update requires the latest GSX full installer
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:55:02 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm an existing GSX user with P3D v4.2 and all was well, until today.
In anticipation of v2 coming out I decided to run the FSDT Updater but it errored "This update requires the latest GSX full installer" and it instructed to download standalone addon manager from http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html. So I did just that and installed v4.5.0.5  - same again !!
Uninstalled GSX and addon manager and re-installed my original v2.3.0.3 to start again all with reboots of windows 10. Still no joy.

Anyone have any ideas please? My change history shows I haven't changed anything since last launch.
Thanks -
Nige
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:58:29 pm by Cloudrider »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: This update requires the latest GSX full installer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:49 pm »
Why you updated the Addon Manager, when the message from the update clearly said to install the LATEST GSX FULL INSTALLER ? That's what you must download.

canadagoose

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:17:04 pm »
Yes, I notice the same problem. I am interested in finding out what is going on here as well. I think GSX L2 might be behind this. I just found out today about the GSX L2 release today, and while I think it seems to be a great addition to an already great product,  but whether coincidence or not, it does seem odd that at least two of us cannot run the FSDT Live Update without this error message. I do not intend to purchase the new expansion product at this time, with I good chance I will in the future. I did notice someone mentioning in another forum "Be aware that all FSDT scenery now require GSX L2 installed. However it's free to use at their airports". If this is the case then would that explain what is happening with the FSDT Live Update? Just curious.

Regards

canadagoose

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:20:33 pm »
Why do I have to uninstall and reinstall the latest GSX "Full Installer". Isn't that the purpose of the the FSDT Live Update program.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 09:21:49 pm »
I did notice someone mentioning in another forum "Be aware that all FSDT scenery now require GSX L2 installed. However it's free to use at their airports".

No, the only scenery that REQUIRES GSX Level 2 is the latest version of JFK, which we updated with SODE-GSX Level 2 jetways right now. But yes, in principle, all our sceneries will eventually require GSX Level 2 sooner or later, and of course it will continue to be free there.

If this is the case then would that explain what is happening with the FSDT Live Update?

If you mean you lost Couatl with the latest update, it has already been fixed. Just run it again now.

canadagoose

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:28:59 pm »
Sorry Umberto, not sure what you mean by "Free" for all your sceneries. Do you mean I can download and use the new expansion GSX L2 free of charge and it will have unlimited use with any FSDT sceneries I have purchased?  

Regards, and thanks for your patience.

Cloudrider

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:32:30 pm »
Why you updated the Addon Manager, when the message from the update clearly said to install the LATEST GSX FULL INSTALLER ? That's what you must download.

Hi Umberto,
Thanks for the reply.
I updated the Addon Manager because this was suggested from the fact that I ran the FSDT Updater first. It was only later along the line the message about GSX Full installer occurred. So an you you advise  where I get the LATEST GSX FULL INSTALLER from please?

Thanks
Nige

canadagoose

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 09:37:11 pm »
I still do not understand why I have to reinstall GSX but I will uninstall and reinstall then.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:38:39 pm »
Sorry Umberto, not sure what you mean by "Free" for all your sceneries. Do you mean I can download and use the new expansion GSX L2 free of charge and it will have unlimited use with any FSDT sceneries I have purchased?  

That's what free works. That's how GSX always worked, and Level 2 is no different.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 09:44:21 pm »
I still do not understand why I have to reinstall GSX but I will uninstall and reinstall then.

Nobody said you have to uninstall GSX first. If it was required, the message would said that. Just download the latest GSX full installer.

There is a reason why we *require* the GSX updated full installer now: it's not very smart or very efficient to re-include, over and over, the SAME copies of the SAME files like jetways, their textures, docking systems, marhsallers, etc, in each and every installer of every scenery we made. Much better to have all together, in the same place, which is the GSX installer. You'll have to update it now, but won't be required to be re downloaded again for a while.

It's a matter of efficient bandwidth consumption too. We *could* theoretically let you updated everything just with the Live Update but, the Live Update downloads the final uncompressed files as they are, while the installer have them compressed fairly efficiently so, instead of having to force everybody to wait for a 3GB Live Update download, we just ask to download and install 1GB of the new GSX installer, which you can download with your favorite browser, with a download accelerator, at the office, etc...

canadagoose

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 09:55:35 pm »
Gotcha! Well, I uninstalled, then reinstalled GSX, everything seems back to normal now. Thanks for the insight on this issue!

Cloudrider

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 10:30:19 pm »
Where I get the LATEST GSX FULL INSTALLER from please?

My original purchase as via a 3rd party and that update hasn't changed. Are you directing everyone to https://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_gsx_level2.html ?
Is this the Full Installer being referred to?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:34:19 pm »
There's only one place you were able to get the Full GSX installer, so it's impossible to get the wrong one by mistake. The link on the GSX page and on GSX Level 2 page are linking to exactly the same file, which is the one and only GSX installer we ever had on this site, and that link never changed in years.

Cloudrider

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »
OK thats great thanks.

Apologies for my confusion.
Just for info this was my logic. Update GSX via FSDT Updater to latest (if required) in preparation for v2.
When that failed, I assumed to re-install y original base package as this was required for v2 and the downloads on FSDT website were v2 updates only. So without my base how could I go to v2.

Fairplay.
Thanks for the help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 10:54:09 pm »
Yes, exactly. The Live Update will only updates things you already installed. Since the GSX Level 2 is quite large, we don't "automatically" update everyone to it, forcing to a potentially long download.

Instead, we NOTIFY the update requires the new installer so, after you install it, from that moment on, the Live Update will continue to keep it updated.