Author Topic: Crash between greenland and candada  (Read 3134 times)

Eytan_Ofir

Crash between greenland and candada
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »
so before you say its not couatl yes it is.
i did 27 flights and tested with and without couatl and finaly i came to figure that this is the problem.
http://prntscr.com/kpskmr
just at the same point every time.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/526743-p3d-41-ctd-near-labrador/
this hole topic is about it and everyone is claming that this is the problem.
please try to understand us.
without couatl - no CRASH
with couatl - CRASH
simple as that..,.
please try to fix this.... im turning off couatl for now but i cannot fly to fsdt airports so thats not a solotion...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:48:24 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Crash between greenland and candada (YES its coatl
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 08:48:18 am »
so before you say its not couatl yes it is.

No, it's not. This has been explained so many times already and, in that same thread you linked on Avsim.

Couatl is NOT the "cause". Couatl, being an .exe file CANNOT CRASH THE SIM BY ITSELF, because it doesn't have any access to its memory space. This is really not something open to discussion, it's just the way Windows works.

Yes, I can see why you can be easily mislead thinking Couatl it's the cause "because it only happens when it's active" but that doesn't mean Couatl it's the cause, it's only the thing that makes that already-existing problem visible. The real source of the problem must be a problem in your navigation data, either airports or vor/nbd.

This because, when tracing the crash, the thing that crashes is the sim by itself in FACILITIES.DLL, because there must be a corrupted data in that area, otherwise you couldn't explain why it happens only THERE. If Couatl was the culprit (it's not, it simply cannot be, being an external .EXE), it should happen everywhere. Since it's happening only around that place, it's clear the problem is area-related. And if it's area-related, it can only be something in the scenery.

Again, you see it only with GSX installed, because GSX USED to check regularly airports nearby, to present a list of them in case you need to pre-select a gate while flying. So, GSX will ask the sim about nearby airports, and the sim crashed BY ITSELF, when checking its own database in the area.

So, the problem is the database, NOT Couatl which it's just asking to the sim to check for it. If the data is corrupted, any other utility that would try using it while flying, will crash just the same because, again, it's the SIM which is crash on its own, when data around there is queried.

HOWEVER, in the current GSX version (obtained through Live Update), GSX doesn't query the navdata anymore, if you are flying over 10.000 feet and/faster than 250 kts, which you usually are in that area, unless you are approaching one of the airports there.

So, first be sure you have the current GSX version, by running the FSDT Live Update.

And, it would be useful to know if you have updated your navigation data from the default with 3rd party sceneries (airports, nbd/vor, magnetic variation data, etc.) because, of course, regardless how hard I tried, I couldn't replicate the problem with the default data.

please try to fix this...

We already made the only fix we could do.

Since the problem is clearly related to navigation data in that area, the only thing we could do, is stop reading it when cruising, assuming that most users would pass through that area only during a transatlantic flight.

But that's not a real solution. The real solution would be finding the reason for the data corruption, and fix THAT one instead, and we cannot possibly do that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:58:38 am by virtuali »

airbadger

Re: Crash between greenland and candada
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:36:10 pm »
Even with the latest version of GSX, I'm still getting the same crashes westbound towards Canada, so there's no way it's Couatl. At least Umberto is trying. Literally no other dev, 3rd party or at Lockheed, gives a crap about this issue.

ocjr

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:21:15 pm »
So I just had a run in with this problem again, and I can relate to how frustrating it is. I would be interested in doing some more research into the actual culprit but I don't have the time.

I did however get it to stop, not only did I update GSX, but I also did an update of the Content and Scenery of P3d. I don't know if that is something you have done recently, I didn't do it because, I never really use the default anything so it saved some time by just updating the client. Without knowing for sure what part of the scenery was causing the crash I can't say for sure, but the most current p3d v4 scenery and content runs much better.

ErichB

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:16:04 pm »
Not sure why people don't approach this issue in a more practical manner.   Once you are cleared of ground services,  deactivate coatl.  When you have passed the trouble area just re-activate it.  What's with all the drama.

ErichB

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:17:52 pm »
Not sure why people don't approach this issue in a more practical manner.   Once you are cleared of ground services,  deactivate coatl.  When you have passed the trouble area just re-activate it.  What's with all the drama.  That's my routine on trnsatlantic flights and I have never had a crash

airbadger

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:32:39 pm »
Not sure why people don't approach this issue in a more practical manner.   Once you are cleared of ground services,  deactivate coatl.  When you have passed the trouble area just re-activate it.  What's with all the drama.

You can’t kill Couatl and restart it while the sim is running. So, what exactly are you doing?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 03:47:53 pm »
Also, the current GSX version does that automatically. Provided, of course, you are flying over 10K feet and/or faster than 250 kts.

bantha121

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 07:10:51 pm »
What's worked for me is that after I finish pushback at my departure airport, I restart Coatl. The only crash I've had on a Westbound transatlantic since I started doing that was the one time I forgot to do it.