Author Topic: De-icing option when <4C  (Read 2128 times)

edmaj37

De-icing option when <4C
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:08:50 am »
Hi,

Purchased GSX about 3-4 month ago and never tried any de-icing until today.  According to the manual there is supposed to be a de-icing option on push back when the temperature is lower than 4 C.  So I placed my aircraft at my local Canadian airport last November and the outside temperature (supplied by AS16) showed -9C.  I was able to verify this as inside the cockpit it showed the same temperature.

I requested a pushback, got prompted for tail left/right/straight, then starting engines before pushback (yes/no) followed by the pushback - no option to de-ice.  I tried this with various aircraft all with the same result.

Is there anything I'm missing?  There was no precipitation but the manual doesn't say it is needed.

I'm using de-icing with FS Captain and am trying to get GSX working with it.  I have the latest version of GSX.  Any help would be appreciated.

Andre
P3D v3

edmaj37

Re: De-icing option when <4C
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 04:14:04 am »
Well, apparently GSX expects precipiation to offer de-icing although that is not mentioned in the manual (I found that out once I turned on precipitation).

I've probably flown out of my local Canadian airport at least 20-30 times in winter (might be even more), many times blue sky and not a cloud in the sky and yet we did de-icing.  Actually my last winter flight was in January, the flight left at 10:15 with nice blue skies and we had to de-ice.  Why?  Temperature at 10:15 was still in the minus and the plane stood on the tarmac overnight with temperatures probably around -10 to -15.  The plane had probably accumulated some frost enough to warrant de-icing (my airport handles anything from Dash8's to A330/B767/B747's).

Truth told, there is hardly a flight in winter that doesn't get de-icing where I live with the large majority not having any precipitation.  So in my opinion it would be better to just offer de-icing <4C (precipitation or not) and let the captain decide.

Granted there is any easy workaround for me.  Before pushback I load an icing weather situation in AS2016, request pushback with de-ing and then go back to the actual weather but I would prefer not having to do that.

Andre
(overall very happy with GSX, great product!)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:26:00 pm »
Well, apparently GSX expects precipiation to offer de-icing although that is not mentioned in the manual (I found that out once I turned on precipitation).

Not just "precipitation", GSX is not that simple...:)

GSX tries to realistically detect icing conditions and super-saturated air, taking into account both the dew point and the outside temperature, as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17202.msg121160.html#msg121160

So in my opinion it would be better to just offer de-icing <4C (precipitation or not) and let the captain decide.

The issue is, of course, that we changed the behavior following user suggestions, that icing conditions should not be related to just the temperature, but must take into account humidity as well, so they complained the previous version wasn't realistic enough...

Maybe we could add an additional condition, and always allow deicing if the temperature is less than zero C°
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:33:13 pm by virtuali »

edmaj37

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:24:52 pm »
Umberto,

Ah, good to know.  Wasn't aware that GSX took dew point / humidity into consideration and therefore didn't adjust the dew point during my test.  This is of course preferred as FS Captain works the same way.  Good stuff, thanks!

Andre