Author Topic: P3D v4.3 crashing while restarting GSX  (Read 3731 times)

radzio2

P3D v4.3 crashing while restarting GSX
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:34 am »
Hello!
I have experienced P3D v4.3 CTD while restarting GSX. Only thing I do is just launching P3D with PMDG NGX and then for example editing airport configuration. After this I press "restart couatl (or GSX) and rebuild airport cache". After 3-5 seconds P3D is freezing, then just disappear.

There is no message in Windows Event Viewer regarding this crash. I'm 100% sure that it is caused by GSX. I have newest version of GSX, as well as P3D.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Radek

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D v4.3 crashing while restarting GSX
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 09:39:42 am »
I'm 100% sure that it is caused by GSX.

No, it's not. GSX cannot possibly crash the sim, since it's an external .EXE and, external .EXEs, by definition, cannot crash another application, they simply don't have any access to it.

What might be happening, instead, could be:

- You have a corrupted .BGL file, so the sim its crashing because GSX is scanning that file when rebuilding the cache.

OR

- Your antivirus is interfering, making the sim crash (the antivirus can do that, because it's a Windows service) because it's trying to scan itself all files that are being opened by "anyone" so, when GSX is scanning the files looking for airports, the antivirus crashes the sim.

First, add the whole simulator folder from the antivirus scanning, and see if it makes any difference.

seifzahrana330

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:20:09 pm »
Yes I have same problem too , black screen then it just crashes

seifzahrana330

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »
I reinstalled GSX , disabled my antivirus, still it crashes
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:18:09 pm by virtuali »

radzio2

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:48:35 pm »
Me as well. Hundred times of reinstalling. Now checked as advised - disabled antivirus and it still crashes while doing "Restart couatl and regenerate airport cache".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »
I can only repeat and confirm the problem doesn't happen here, and restarting Couatl cannot possibly crash the sim, since it's an external .EXE and, external .EXEs, by definition, cannot crash another application, they simply don't have any access to it.

So, what is really crashing your sim, is another application that can crash it, which can be only an antivirus or, you have one of your .BGL being corrupted.

radzio2

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:41:02 pm »
So, what is really crashing your sim, is another application that can crash it, which can be only an antivirus or, you have one of your .BGL being corrupted.
So how can I repair my .BGL if its corrupted?

Just to mention - it happens on every airport.

WestIandian86

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:09:21 pm »
I can only repeat and confirm the problem doesn't happen here, and restarting Couatl cannot possibly crash the sim, since it's an external .EXE and, external .EXEs, by definition, cannot crash another application, they simply don't have any access to it.

Greetings Umberto,

I hear this - but I too experienced CTD. This has only been happening having moved to 4.3.

What i'd like to also find out is...how come after I start the sim and I get to another airport, the cache for the GSX must be restarted? For example, when I take off from the airport of origin, GSX would have been working fine where the marshaller walks one foot infront of the other. When I get to the destination airport, he is now gliding over the scenery when I am doing a turnaround without restarting the sim - ergo, if I do not restart the Coutl, this is what I see.

I discovered the crashing when I did my second flight in the new airbus from AS and was about to land ... lost three hours of flight.

Just trying to understand the cause here.

Thank you for your great work btw... I do appreciate this add-on..

Regards,
P'Rez

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »
What i'd like to also find out is...how come after I start the sim and I get to another airport, the cache for the GSX must be restarted?

It doesn't have to!! The cache must be rebuilt ONLY when you add a new scenery, and in this case GSX will do it automatically on the next start OR if you remove/rename a .BGL for any reason, and in this case you'll have to ask for a rebuild manually.

For example, when I take off from the airport of origin, GSX would have been working fine where the marshaller walks one foot infront of the other. When I get to the destination airport, he is now gliding over the scenery when I am doing a turnaround without restarting the sim - ergo, if I do not restart the Coutl, this is what I see.

You are now confusing a "Restart and rebuild the airport cache", with just a "Restart". To fix the sliding marshaller problem, you only to do a simple Restart, no reason to rebuild the cache too which, as I've said, might cause issues if you have a corrupted .BGL somewhere.

I discovered the crashing when I did my second flight in the new airbus from AS and was about to land ... lost three hours of flight.

I'm sorry but, I can only repeat and confirm that Couatl, by itself, doesn't have any means to crash the sim.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 01:16:48 pm »
So how can I repair my .BGL if its corrupted?

You should first be sure this is the case. I'm more inclined to believe an antivirus can cause this, rather than a corrupted .BGL.

You might try to enable Logging in the Troubleshooting section of the GSX Setting page, exit and enter the sim again, then try the "Restart and rebuild the airport cache" option.

If it completes, or even if it doesn't, exit from the sim, and check the Couatl.LOG file that should have been created in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder, and post it are AS AN ATTACHMENT to a message, after you ZIP it.