Author Topic: Old robotic voice even after latest install **SOLVED**  (Read 2265 times)

dho112

Old robotic voice even after latest install **SOLVED**
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:16:35 pm »
Window 10 64 bit FSX steam version

Windows 10 says that version 2.4 of GSX is installed.  I uninstalled the existing version and reinstalled using the full install from the website.  No matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall.  GSX appears to be stuck in the past with the robotic voice and old pop up menu styles.  If I go to the ADD-on drop down in FSX and drilled down to the GSX "About" info, there is nothing there that tells me what version is installed, and it actually shows a copywrite date of 2012...  So I suspect quite a bit of legacy info/files are still present?

Tips for what I might be doing wrong?  The robot voice for the ground crews are driving me batty.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:15:44 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Old robotic voice even after latest install
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:19:27 am »
Windows 10 says that version 2.4 of GSX is installed.

No, it only telling you the version of the installer which you used to install.

I uninstalled the existing version and reinstalled using the full install from the website.

Then you DO have the latest version.

No matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall.  GSX appears to be stuck in the past with the robotic voice and old pop up menu styles.

I'm not sure what you are expecting too see or hear. We never changed the GSX voices, they always used text-to-speech synthesis and I don't know what do you mean with "old pop-up menu styles". The GSX interface has always been the same since it was released, and the appearance of its operation menus depends on the sim it's running under.

Yes, we are PLANNING to replace GSX synthetic voices with real human voices at some stage, but it's done yet so, it's not really that GSX is "stuck in the past", is more that you are expecting to live in the future.

Or, maybe, you downloaded a GSX REPLACEMENT voice pack that some user made, forgot about it, and now that you reinstalled GSX, you forgot how the original voices sounded like ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:33:52 am by virtuali »

dho112

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:40 pm »
Hi!

I think you nailed it when you said I must have loaded an alternate voice pack or even just played around with replacing sound files :)  It was SO long ago and I often go months and months without starting up the sim and forget everything I did from the last time :)

Good news on replacing the text to speech for something more realistic in the future.  That will definitely help with immersion!

I think my confusion about the menus is that I was watching a youtube video about GSX and while the person was navigating the GSX menus, they looked completely different than the menus I had.  They were actually opaque blocks with text in them, and I realize now that maybe I wasn't looking at a newer version, but maybe a much older version?  (I have no idea now how old the video was) or perhaps the person had done their own modifying of FSX.

At any rate... my new issue is that I completely reloaded FSX:Steam and reinstalled GSX and now I see the text box from GSX but I don't hear the voice LoL!  I still hear the PMDG sounds; button clicks, engines, FSX music, just no text-to-speech from GSX.  I'll check out the manual to see if there are config settings I missed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:21 am »
I think my confusion about the menus is that I was watching a youtube video about GSX and while the person was navigating the GSX menus, they looked completely different than the menus I had. 

Yes, P3D 2.x and P3D 3.x had opaque menus (THOSE looked dated!!), but at a certain point, P3D 3 added transparent menus.