Author Topic: GSX Little To No Sound **SOLVED**  (Read 8576 times)

Carbonbell

GSX Little To No Sound **SOLVED**
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:46:26 pm »
Hi All.
First I want to say how much I enjoy GSX.  Excellent product and highly recommend it.  Well done FSDT.
I have started to find that I have little to no sound with all aspects of GSX.  I am certain this is due to something I am or am not doing but after I have tried the usual suspects, I am still experiencing this.  Still using P3Dv4.2
Any suggestions from you who are much smarted than I?
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.
David Bell
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:25:57 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Little To No Sound
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:24:31 am »
Check the correct audio card is selected in the GSX audio settings. Then, exit and restart the sim.

Carbonbell

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:07:09 pm »
Thank you Umberto.
It worked however, still low volume even though I have it on max.
Enjoy your weekend.

zk

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:43:41 pm »
Thank you Umberto.
It worked however, still low volume even though I have it on max.
Enjoy your weekend.

I am having a similar problem.  Volume seems to fluctuate during the procedure.  For example, when loading passengers/bags, the volume starts off at the correct setting (I have it set to max in the GSX menu) but as boarding continues, the volume drops, then rises, then drops.  I have checked all my audio settings and everything is set correctly (even in windows).  I should note that the volume for all of my other addons in P3D V4.3 (including P3D) remain constant thru the procedure.  Only GSX is experiencing this issue (which is super strange).  Not sure if another program is interfering with it, or maybe i am missing something.  Anyone have any ideas?

LX2259

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
Hi,

I also experience these volume fluctuations with GSX. I think it might have started with the last (big) windows 10 update a couple of weeks ago.
I use P3D v4.3 (before that v4.2) and lately I only flew the fslabs Airbusses...

Carbonbell

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 11:11:04 pm »
Hi,

I also experience these volume fluctuations with GSX. I think it might have started with the last (big) windows 10 update a couple of weeks ago.
I use P3D v4.3 (before that v4.2) and lately I only flew the fslabs Airbusses...
I agree with you.  From my recollection, it was when there was a OS update that my sound went  a little off.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Kind regards.
David Bell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:12:28 am »
GSX never tries to handle your audio card directly, it uses OpenAL so, if there are issues with it, it can only be related to how compatible your audio drivers are with OpenAL.

Clear example of this, are such reported "volume fluctuations". GSX never change the volume, unless you explicitly move the GSX volume slider in the settings. There are no other places in the code where GSX ever changes the volume.

However, the driver itself might, to do positional audio. Even in this case, GSX doesn't do anything directly, it only specifies a position in the 3d world for an audio source, but the rest is entirely handled by OpenAL, which in turns call the audio drivers (not 100% technically accurate: it calls the audio drivers if the card support EAX hardware acceleration, otherwise it calls OpenAL, which will in turn call DirectSound, and finally the drivers).

So, whatever issues related to sound you have with GSX sounds, while the sim is running, are entirely outside our control. Well, unless you hear something clearly wrong from a logical point of view, like playing the voice of the deicer when you call pushback...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:25:29 am by virtuali »

zk

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 03:56:08 pm »
Just in case anyone is still having this problem, I found the root cause.  Windows 10 is detecting "communications activity" (like being on a voice call) and reducing the volume of all of the other sounds outside of the main program you are using.  Once the "communication" (or the voice call) is complete, Windows restores the volume back to normal levels for all other programs.  In my case, this would occur every time I used P3D's built-in ATC.  Since I generally go for clearance while GSX is boarding the aircraft, Win10 lowered the volume for GSX by 80%.  NOT COOL WINDOWS!  Anyway....to fix it, do the following:

go into Control Panel -> Sound

Click on the "communications" tab and select "Do Nothing" - press apply when finished.

Thats it....super simple.  Good luck!

LX2259

Re: GSX Little To No Sound **SOLVED**
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 06:41:37 pm »
Thanks for the tip!

It seems to work for me as well!

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 03:43:06 pm »
Thanks @zk, that solved the GSX sound problem for me too.  :)
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

phmcr

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 04:50:51 pm »
And another one happy with your solution!

Thanks

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 05:58:23 pm »
But it is frustrating I have to keep making the change in Sound Notifications every week or so. Surely this is a Window bug that needs fixing.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

boilerbill

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 06:48:04 am »
Thanks zk for the tip! Another satisfied customer here.

Although I still use it, Microsoft has been discouraging the use of the Control Panel (who knows why). They would prefer for users to click on the Windows Start button and then click on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon that appears above it. Here is the sequence in Windows 10 that will accomplish the same thing as zk describes...

• When you click on that Settings icon, you'll see a table called Windows Settings. (This is supposed to be the replacement for the Control Panel.) Click on the upper-left icon labeled System.
  • Although the new window is labeled "Display", you're in the right place. Find Sound near the top of the left column and click on it.
  • This takes you to the general "Sound" page. Click on Sound Control Panel on the right side of the screen. That takes you to where zk arrived from the Control Panel.
  • As he said, finish by clicking on the Communications tab, select "Do Nothing" from the list, and click on OK.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium