Author Topic: Marshaller and Weird Characters Near Parking Spot **SOLVED**  (Read 4116 times)

rfkicker2000

I pulled into gate 28 at KTUS today and found the marshaller probably 30 ft off the ground and a bunch of really weird unreadable characters near the parking spot. I'm running FSX-SE in 6014x1080. I'm also using ORBX' Vector add-on and the Airport Elevation Correction feature. Could either of these cause this problem?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:08:53 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Marshaller and Weird Characters Near Parking Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:15 am »
I'm also using ORBX' Vector add-on and the Airport Elevation Correction feature. Could either of these cause this problem?

Most likely. Be sure the airport is selected in the AEC tool.

Also, have you customized the airport ? If you customized, for example, the parking position when the AEC tool was not configured properly, it's possible the marshaller height in the .INI file is no longer valid after the AEC tool was configured. In this case, it's best if you Rest the whole airport in the GSX editor.

rfkicker2000

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:27 am »
Virtuali, thanks for your prompt reply. I haven't customized any airports yet with GSX. I'll make sure the airport is added to the AEC tool and will get back to you if I'm still having trouble. I've attached a screenshot for you to see (look at the top of the image).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:17:30 pm »
I cannot reproduce the problem of the strange characters, but you can remove it by disabling the option to show the marshaller distance in the GSX Settings.

While this will surely fix the characters, it's an indication that something's wrong in your installation, possibly some other addon spamming Simconnect with so many commands in so short time, that we don't get enough chance to talk with the sim, so some of our commands to create/destroy objects are being lost. Some users reported this when using some 3rd party weather engines, and reported it as fixed by switching to other weather engines. Do you use ActiveSky perhaps ?

rfkicker2000

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 03:01:56 am »
I do, AS16. I also use trackclip from trackhat for head tracking.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 01:59:15 pm »
I do, AS16. I also use trackclip from trackhat for head tracking.

Yes, both are known to send a lot of commands with Simconnect, especially the trackhat software, which constantly updates the camera position synchronized to the frame rate and, I guess that when *combined* combined with AS16, the simulator simply cannot cope with both *and* the GSX text indications as well.

With Prepar3D4, we don't use Simconnect anymore for screen updates so, we shouldn't be affected as much by other addons spamming Simconnect with commands, but since you use FSX, that method is not possible, since it requires some native P3D calls in the new SDK.

You might try limiting the frame rate, and see if it improves things.

rfkicker2000

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:00 am »
Virtuali, I uninstalled GSX, re-ran the Orbx FTX Vector AEC tool, re-installed the latest GSX and the problems with the marshaller and weird characters appear to be fixed. I made a flight tonight from KLAS to KRNO and the marshaller and characters were properly positioned and readable. Hope this helps in future troubleshooting. Also, thanks so much for fixing the baggage loading forever problem!

rfkicker2000

Re: Marshaller and Weird Characters Near Parking Spot **SOLVED**
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 03:41:12 am »
Virtuali, sadly the problem returned. I reinstalled GSX in hopes it will fix it. It'll be a few more days before I have time to try it again. In the meantime, do you know of any known issues with REX Texture Direct or REX Worldwide Airports? I wonder if the marshaller being 30 ft off the ground is what is causing the weird characters to appear? As I mentioned in the previous post, the problem did go away after I ran the Orbx Vector AEC tool and then reinstalled GSX but I have no idea why it came back. It doesn't sound like SimConnect is being overwhelmed if it worked. Just wondering if you have any other ideas. I would hate to have to customize every parking position at every airport I go to.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 08:24:00 am »
the problem returned. I reinstalled GSX in hopes it will fix it

Since nothing in GSX has changed, and your last report clearly indicated the fix was acting of something else, it should be quite clear by now the problem didn't had anything to do with GSX, so you cannot expect it to be fixed by reinstalling GSX.

I wonder if the marshaller being 30 ft off the ground is what is causing the weird characters to appear?

If the marshaller altitude was off, the characters would be also off, not scrambled.

But, I never fully understood the weird things OrbX does with elevation, or why they have a need for an elevation correction tool in the first place (wouldn't be easier to simply not have anything to fix ? ), and the few times I inquired with OrbX about such issues, they never care to reply, although the *did* some fixes, for example at KLAS.

Of course, you can always decide to simply turn off the distance indications. However, if the issue is related to Simconnect, it's likely it will resurface again in other parts of the sim.

The easiest way to know if the issue is related to Simconnect being overflown with too many commands and thus not being responsive enough, is to temporarily disable ALL your addon modules in the DLL/EXE.XML files, *except* for the FSDT modules (bglmanx.dll in DLL.XML and couatl.exe in EXE.XML), and see if it makes any difference.

rfkicker2000

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 07:19:12 pm »
Virtuali, a reinstall of GSX and re-run of the ORBX AEC tool fixed the problem and it seems to continue to stay fixed. I think it's the AEC tool getting in the way but if I don't touch anything at this point it should be fine. Thanks for your help!

BBman

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:25:59 am »
I have the exact problem in p3dv4.3.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 01:50:10 pm »
have the exact problem in p3dv4.3.

Which this thread already proved it's not a GSX problem to begin with, but another of the many issues caused by OrbX. Read the previous posts and how the user solved it.