Author Topic: Can't reinstall after P3D reload  (Read 3158 times)

barrykensett

Can't reinstall after P3D reload
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:35:46 pm »
I have been using GFX satisfactorily until recently. I had to reload P3D 4.2 because of scenery problems. When I try yo reload GFX I get an error message that the registry location of P3D is incorrect, I don't think it is. The Downloader window shows an incorrect location and I can't alter it. Would appreciate guidance. Updater seems to operate normally by updating.
Barry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't reinstall after P3D reload
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:47:13 am »
When I try yo reload GFX I get an error message that the registry location of P3D is incorrect, I don't think it is.

If the GSX installer said the registry is incorrect, than it IS incorrect, no questions about it. Maybe that also caused those scenery problems that lead you to reinstall it in the first place.

the key our installer looks for is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\AppPath

Which should point to the folder P3D4 is installed into. Check the registry and be sure it's correct.

barrykensett

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:35:35 pm »
That registry key says D:Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V4\... and that is exactly where it is.
That key also has the paths for V2 and V3 which are also correct as they were even though those versions are no longer installed.
The Add on Manager shows two tabs. one for P3Dv3 and the location is correct as was at that time, G:Lockheed Martin etc.
The tab for P3Dv4 shows D:Airports which is not correct, The file exists as my airports are in it but it is not within P3D. I cannot alter the entry.
The SODE platform manager shows the platform installation path correctly for V3  as was but the V4 path is again D:Airports

When I first installed GSX it all went in smoothly, seems as though I want to completely remove it and start again but it looks as though it leaves debris when I use the uninstall.exe.
Thanks for your interest
Barry
www.a320sim.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 07:31:38 am »
That key also has the paths for V2 and V3 which are also correct as they were even though those versions are no longer installed.

THIS is a problem. It's not very clear if with "that key", you really mean *that* key, suggesting the Prepar3D v4\AppPath also has the paths for V2 and V3, which is clearly wrong, or you really meant to say "the similarly-named keys for the other two sims", which is ALSO wrong, if the two sims are no longer installer.

Because, it's entirely normal and correct the installer, which found a key for a sim, pointing to nothing (because it was uninstalled), would say it's incorrect, offering you a chance to point to the actual location of the installed sim (sometimes users make the mistake of "moving" the sim without updating the registry), which you cannot take, since there's no actual location anymore, since the sim is uninstalled.

The Add on Manager shows two tabs. one for P3Dv3 and the location is correct as was at that time, G:Lockheed Martin etc.
The tab for P3Dv4 shows D:Airports which is not correct

Please clarify this, because the Addon Manager is not supposed to have any tabs.

The file exists as my airports are in it but it is not within P3D. I cannot alter the entry.

As I've said, the entry is ready from the registry so, that's what your registry is REALLY pointing to.

The SODE platform manager shows the platform installation path correctly for V3  as was but the V4 path is again D:Airports

This CLEARLY confirm your problem doesn't have anything to do with our installer, or GSX, since even SODE is taking what you say it's the wrong location for the sim, which means your registry key is wrong, and you must fix it.

seems as though I want to completely remove it and start again but it looks as though it leaves debris when I use the uninstall.exe.

GSX doesn't leave "debris", and it has a proper uninstaller, which removes what is supposed to remove, which means only things related TO GSX. And it does an option to uninstall the Addon Manager at the end, which also remove all the supporting software, which is not obviously enabled by default, because all the other FSDT products depend on it, so it would just be wrong if Uninstalling GSX would always automatically removed *everything*

But that's not really the point. Regardless of the kind of GSX uninstall you choose, it's entirely irrelevant with your issue, which doesn't have anything to do with GSX or our installer or uninstaller.

Your issue is your some of your P3D registry keys are wrong, which is confirmed by SODE, saying the same thing so, unless you fix them, you are going to have problems with all of them.

This mess you have, LOOKS to be caused by using (or having used at time), the infamous Migration Tool, which screw up the registry entirely, in order to fool installers not recognizing P3D to install into it.  Even if you don't use it anymore, the damage to registry would still be there, so you must fix it first.

It's this, or you did something really strange, like removing the sim (P3D V2 and V3) manually instead of uninstalling, because uninstalling them properly will surely result in their registry keys cleared up.

barrykensett

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:37:28 pm »
I've changed the registry by deleting the references to v2 & v3 and restarted computer. However if I run P3D it puts the entries back in albeit with no address in the App Path. v4 App Path is correct.
Trying to load GSX still fails.
It is the SODE that has two tabs, it is still picking up a path D:Airports from somewhere, it's not in the registry.
Barry

barrykensett

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »
PS I have never used the migration tool.
Barry
www.a320sim.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:46:27 am »
I've changed the registry by deleting the references to v2 & v3 and restarted computer. However if I run P3D it puts the entries back in albeit with no address in the App Path. v4 App Path is correct.

Sorry, but this is not what is supposed to happen. If you really don't have P3D 2 or 3 installed, running P3D 4 will NOT result in such entries appearing again.

Trying to load GSX still fails.

It's normal GSX won't work, since all your registry keys are clearly screwed up.

It is the SODE that has two tabs, it is still picking up a path D:Airports from somewhere, it's not in the registry.

Yes, it's something wrong in the registry.

Check the OTHER registry entries under HKEY_LOCALMACHINE too. We don't use them, but other software (possibly SODE) might, and the sim itself might use it, possibly to restore the ones in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, if they are not coherent with each other, which might explain why some of them reappear when starting the sim.

barrykensett

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »
After much messing about I have fixed the problem. There is nothing wrong with the registry.
I downloaded SODE from the website, ran it and it picked up the registry entries correctly.
GSX now all works. I guess the problem was in a corrupted SODE in the GSX download package.
Barry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:27:59 pm »
I guess the problem was in a corrupted SODE in the GSX download package.

No, it wasn't. I checked the MD5 of the Installer_SODE_v1.6.2.MSI file from SODE site, and it matches the one included with GSX.