Author Topic: NO add-on manager after up-date - FSX  (Read 1897 times)

Simpilotguy

NO add-on manager after up-date - FSX
« on: April 30, 2018, 05:10:26 am »
Good day Umberto and staff.
I have a very unusual situation that has occurred after updating the Add-On manager to the latest version.
Info first: only run FSX & Acceleration pack, no P3D or anything.
No anti-virus EVER, and no firewall

Scenario:
So, I downloaded the latest add-on manager and updated my system. When it was complete, I restarted my computer and loaded FSX. I did not get a prompt to allow the program to run, which I thought was weird. However, FSX loaded normally but there was no add-on manager in the add-on drop down box and none of my airport scenery loaded.
The usual "Airport cache has loaded successfully" banner did not appear.
Ok, so a few things first - Up until I did this update, the add-on manager worked flawlessly as did all of my scenery. No issues at all.

I went onto the FSDT forums and read that a possible cause of this was that the C++ redistributes should be at their latest version, so I downloaded from Microsoft the latest for 2005, 2010, 2012, 2015 and installed them all after uninstalling the other version. No change, still no add-on manager in the add-on drop down, and still no request for me to "allow" this program to continue.

So, I uninstalled every add-on program I have, then uninstalled FSX and completely reinstalled FSX, Acceleration and began to re-install every thing. Thought it would be best to load the add-on manager program by itself as opposed to through one of my FSDT airports. Loaded it, it seemed to install fine, then once complete, rebooted the computer and loaded up FSX. Nothing, no request for me to allow this program to run or anything. Sure enough, once a flight was started, no add-on manager in the add-on drop box.

Once again, no anti-virus, no fire-wall. Reloaded all the latest C++ files and still no luck.

I am a huge fan of you and your teams work. I can't believe that you and your team can bring so much reality to the realm of sim flying and I thank you all for your tireless work. I so look forward to once again being able to use my GSX and all the other airports you have created once this issue is resolved.
Thanks for taking the time to read my huge ramble. Any advice you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
Keep up the great work!

Sincerely, Mark
If it ain't a Boeing, then I'm not going!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: NO add-on manager after up-date - FSX
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:57:29 pm »
When it was complete, I restarted my computer and loaded FSX. I did not get a prompt to allow the program to run, which I thought was weird.

This might be an indication of a problem, or not, depending what you did in the past when trusting the module.

- If ever used the option to trust "Virtuali" as a publisher by default, which is one of the available options in the trust dialog box from Windows, it's entirely normal you won't be prompted again to trust an updated version of a software which is still digitally signed by us.

- If you are sure you never used that option, you are supposed to see a new trust request each time the module gets updated.

This works in the opposite way: if you ever used the option of NOT trusting Virtuali as a publisher, even once, from now on, NOTHING digitally signed by us will ever work on your system, until you revert that choice.

To verify this, go into "Internet Options", select the "Content" tab, and check if you have Virtuali either in the trusted authors list and, especially, if you have it in the untrusted list. Remove it from both list, which is the default.

Now, uninstall any FSDT product and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?". This will clear up all your trusting choices from the sim too.

Now, reinstall ALL your FSDT products, and after you reinstalled everything, start the sim, and pay attention if you ARE being asked to trust both the Addon Manager and the Couatl engine. Be sure you reply YES to both.

If you are not being asked again, I'm afraid the most likely cause is the antivirus. Yes, you say you don't have any antivirus but, are you SURE of this ? Not even the default Windows Defender ?