Author Topic: registration issue/directory  (Read 2506 times)

Johnathan Pata

registration issue/directory
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:54 pm »
hey guys,

I am new to p3d so maybe this is why i am confused. I have P3D v4 installed on my D: drive as I have my FSX but the problem I am having is that in p3d I am not able to select a drive, the directory is greyed out and when I do install it I am able to register the product but it stays in trial mode.

Thank you for the help
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10850K
OPERATING SYSTEM:Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit
HARD DRIVE: 1 SAMSUNG EVO 840 SSD with 2TB HDD and a 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
MEMORY: 32GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz   
VIDEO CARD:4GB NVIDIA GTX 960

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: registration issue/directory
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:37:55 pm »
I am not able to select a drive, the directory is greyed out and when I do install it

You are probably assuming the products would install "into" the sim, which is no longer the case. Even in FSX, we do not install into the sim folder anymore, but in an FSDT folder, which by default it's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager", which will be used and shared by all sim and all products.

This folder can be chosen freely only the first time you install an FSDT product, so it's now greyed because you are running another installation (again, regardless of the sim).

So, first, I hope you haven't changed default and set the FSX folder as the destination folder, because now that you finally have the freedom to install OUTSIDE the sim, not accepting the default folder and installing INTO the sim, it's probably the worse possible idea. Of course, we allow you to change the default, because you might not have enough space into the C: drive, but that doesn't mean you should install inside the sim and, in fact, it's best if you don't.

So, if you installed "into" FSX, it's best you uninstall *everything* AND Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager".

This will CLEAR your previous choice, allowing to either accept the default location (which it's FINE if you have enough space on C:), or change it to another drive, with the recommendation of NOT using a folder inside a sim, because this location will be shared by FSX and P3D.

I am able to register the product but it stays in trial mode.

This doesn't have anything to do with the previous issue. Please clarify what do you mean with "Stays in Trial mode". First, it might be best if you said what you are referring to with "the product". Which product ? A scenery in Trial mode will work entirely for 5 minutes. GSX in Trial mode will work only at Trial airports or FSDT airport. This is Trial mode.

Instead, if you don't see any buildings, or you don't have GSX starting, that's NOT Trial mode. That's just "Software not running".

So, please, clarify if you are really stuck in Trial mode, or it's just the software that is not running, so you don't see buildings, and/or you don't see the GSX menu.

Johnathan Pata

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 10:23:54 pm »
This doesn't have anything to do with the previous issue. Please clarify what do you mean with "Stays in Trial mode". First, it might be best if you said what you are referring to with "the product". Which product ? A scenery in Trial mode will work entirely for 5 minutes. GSX in Trial mode will work only at Trial airports or FSDT airport. This is Trial mode

I have LAX, LAS, DFW, JFK, GSX, ORD. When I add the product key and click activate it will notify me your product has been activated but when I go into the addon manager it shows "in trial mode". I did try it twice and it still stayed in the trial mode.

You are probably assuming the products would install "into" the sim, which is no longer the case. Even in FSX, we do not install into the sim folder anymore, but in an FSDT folder, which by default it's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager", which will be used and shared by all sim and all products.

This folder can be chosen freely only the first time you install an FSDT product, so it's now greyed because you are running another installation (again, regardless of the sim).

So, first, I hope you haven't changed default and set the FSX folder as the destination folder, because now that you finally have the freedom to install OUTSIDE the sim, not accepting the default folder and installing INTO the sim, it's probably the worse possible idea. Of course, we allow you to change the default, because you might not have enough space into the C: drive, but that doesn't mean you should install inside the sim and, in fact, it's best if you don't.

So, if you installed "into" FSX, it's best you uninstall *everything* AND Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager".

This will CLEAR your previous choice, allowing to either accept the default location (which it's FINE if you have enough space on C:), or change it to another drive, with the recommendation of NOT using a folder inside a sim, because this location will be shared by FSX and P3D.

Thats it, it installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager" it sounds like i will need to uninstall all my airports from fsx which is fine and reinstall it in p3d.  I always add programs on my D: drive as much as possible (outside sim)

thank you for the help. I will let you know if that also took care of the activation issue as well
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10850K
OPERATING SYSTEM:Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit
HARD DRIVE: 1 SAMSUNG EVO 840 SSD with 2TB HDD and a 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
MEMORY: 32GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz   
VIDEO CARD:4GB NVIDIA GTX 960

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:26:32 pm »
I have LAX, LAS, DFW, JFK, GSX, ORD. When I add the product key and click activate it will notify me your product has been activated but when I go into the addon manager it shows "in trial mode". I did try it twice and it still stayed in the trial mode.

Check if you are not running the sim into a "Compatibility" mode, like XP under Windows 8 or Windows 7/8 under Windows 10. If you do, remove all the compatibility options for the sim executable, because it must run with every setting to default. Compatibility even reduce performance somewhat.

Also, be sure you are not starting the sim from another addon that is being set in Compatibility mode, since that will have the same effect.