Author Topic: Issue 1 - GSX in Add-Ons but not in game  (Read 3318 times)

Hazza

Issue 1 - GSX in Add-Ons but not in game
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:17:51 am »
Hi,
I have a couple of issues (hence the Subject) but will address them one by one.

First I have P3Dv4.1 and v3.4 running on Windows 10 Pro. I have a i7700K, 32GB RAM, 1TB EVO 960 SSD, 2TB WD HDD, 4 TB WD HDD, EVGA NVidia GTX 1080 8GB WC Video Card and 2 x LG 27" 4K monitors (connected by DP connectors) and have a 100Mb Fibre connection. Nothing is over-clocked. P3D is run in maximised Window mode and resolution is set to 3840x2160 on both monitors.

From FSDT I have CYVR, KCLT, KDFW, KIAH, KJFK, KLAX_V2, KMEM, OHareX, PHNL and GSX.
I also have SODE 1.5.3
Other addons include Orbx (all regions, LC's, Global, Vector, Trees and a few airports), ProATC/X, Ultimate Traffic Live, ActiveSky for P3Dv4 and ASCA (AS16 is networked for v3.4), TrackIR, Spad.NEXT, FSUIPC v5 (paid), FSCommander 9.6 Rev9, PFPX, fsAerodata (only run against v3.4), JoinFS, and ChasePlane. I now fly in v4 99% of the time and 90% of that in PMDG aircraft. Most scenery sliders are all the way over to the right, Dynamic Lighting is off but HDR is on

I do NOT have Anti-virus or Anti-malware installed and Windows Defender is disabled. I sit behind an Untangle NG Firewall. This computer is NOT used for anything other than flight-simming (I use another PC for painting, ADE, etc) and use StorageCraft SPX 6.7.2 for backing up my system.

So, now to my first issue ::)

I can see (and use) the menus for SODE, Couatl and GSX in the Add-ons Menu with the single exception of "Show GSX Menu by-passing YouControl" in the GSX Menu. If I select that option or press Ctrl+F12 (or even Shift+Ctrl+F12) no menu appears in the sim.

I have placed some pictures here http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/hazzanz/library/GSX. I have also attached files in a zip. They are split into two folders - those that came from the Program Data folder and those that come from the AppData folder. If I have missed anything please let me know.

I have read through these forums, Googled, run Live Update and reinstalled GSX all to no avail. I am probably missing something simple but then - I'm a simple man and I cannot seem to figure this out ???.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Harry
Cheers

Hazza

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Issue 1 - GSX in Add-Ons but not in game
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:17 pm »
I can see (and use) the menus for SODE, Couatl and GSX in the Add-ons Menu with the single exception of "Show GSX Menu by-passing YouControl" in the GSX Menu. If I select that option or press Ctrl+F12 (or even Shift+Ctrl+F12) no menu appears in the sim.

If the GSX menu is in the Addons menu, it means GSX is working and has been installed correctly. The issue of the missing Simconnect menu has been discussed so many times on the forum, and it doesn't have anything to do with GSX.

It's caused by a very well known problem in P3D that, if you upgrade it using the Client installation only (depending from which version you updated it), no application with a menu will work, because the Client-only installation is missing some files required for such menus to be displayed.

The solution is to:

- Uninstall the P3D Client

- Download the P3D "Content" and the latest "Client" installers, and install first the content, then the Client.

Hazza

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:35 am »
Hi Umberto, thanks for your reply!

I installed P3Dv4.1 as a clean install, it was not an upgrade from v4.0. However, I followed your instructions and also used this https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120861 guide to assist.

Unfortunately, this did not work. I should also mention that I have used the latest installers from PMDG to install their products.

The Simconnect menus do not show when a default aircraft and airport are used either. I have ALL Simconnect versions installed.

Do you have any other suggestions that I could try?

Cheers

Harry
Cheers

Hazza

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:51 pm »
The Simconnect menus do not show when a default aircraft and airport are used either. I have ALL Simconnect versions installed.

The issue is not related to Simconnect. I used this term only to point out the menu which is missing is not a "GSX menu", but it's the standard Simconnect menu, which is used by all apps that have a similar menu, like SODE, FS Passengers, etc.

Are you able to see the SODE menu ?

Hazza

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 06:33:16 pm »
You are, of course, correct! I cannot see the menus from SODE, ProATC/X or even the default ATC (maybe should have checked these earlier!).

Cheers

Harry
Cheers

Hazza

Hazza

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:52:11 am »
OK, so I have now checked P3Dv3 and GSX, ATC, etc all work.

So the problem is confined to P3Dv4.

I have now tried several fixes including:
1. Another uninstall of the Client and installing Content and then Client.
2. https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128034
3. http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246
4. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/p3d-v4-different-encodings-configuration-file-list.440687/
5. http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16247.msg116058.html#msg116058

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Harry
Cheers

Hazza

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:00:34 am »
You are, of course, correct! I cannot see the menus from SODE, ProATC/X or even the default ATC (maybe should have checked these earlier!).

This finally confirms the issue is entirely unrelated to GSX.

Unfortunately, none of the threads you linked seems to apply here, because everything related to the XML file (corruption, wrong encoding, etc.) would prevent the *entire* addon module from starting, not just the transparent menu, and even everything related to Simconnect doesn't apply here, since you DO have the menu under the "Addons" menu, and that one is also created by the SAME Simconnect call that creates the transparent menu so, it's clear your addons have being loaded and are working fine, and Simconnect works too.

Also, since the default ATC window doesn't work either, this further proves that neither your XML files or Simconect issue have anything to do with this, since the default ATC is not an addon module that requires an XML file to start, and it doesn't use Simconnect either.

So, your issue seems to be entirely related to the transparent menu missing entirely, regardless of who's calling it. That's why I asked to check the Client/Content installation, because that's exactly what happens if the files required by that menu are not installed (the menu it's made with Autodesk Scaleform).

If reinstalling the Content doesn't fix it, I'm afraid the only option here is to Uninstall P3D V4 entirely, then reinstall it.

None of our addons would require a reinstall, since we use the proper P3D V4 installation method, so you can uninstall/reinstall the whole sim without having to reinstall any of our addons.

Hazza

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:14:02 am »
OK, thanks for your assistance Umberto.

Obviously, not the answer I would like but seems to be the only option at this point. It may have to wait a few weeks though as I don't have the time available to do this currently.

I will start my next issue tomorrow as it is bed time here

Cheers

Harry
Cheers

Hazza