Author Topic: Key Assignments Do Not Work Since Version 2.1 **SOLVED**  (Read 2746 times)

kmanning

Key Assignments Do Not Work Since Version 2.1 **SOLVED**
« on: December 25, 2017, 11:48:21 pm »
Ever since version 2.1 of GSX, some of the default key assignments are not working, and nothing has be made nor said about it, even in the latest manual, which is October 2017. When editing the parking position and gates in GSX, the manual does make reference to the improvement in the way you position the nose gear STOP position, which is great, but it continues to say that you use the 0 and 9 keys to adjust the nose gear STOP position. That is NOT correct and these key assignments, by default, have NOT work since the update. That is done differently now, and the manual does not bring this point up-to-date. I spent hours trying to figure this out and finally did so. Now, you have to go and highlight the STOP marker and use the arrow keys, NOT the 0 and 9 keys as referenced by the manual. Prior to the update, you highlighted the marhaller and use the 0/9 keys to position it.

Now, I need to adjust the height of the Safedock guidance system. The manual says to use the Q/Z keys to make height adjustments, but only one of the keys work. I can use the Q key to raise its height. But to lower it, the Z key does not and will not work, nor move it down. There's nothing wrong with my keyboard because it will type the letter Z. Now why is it that the Z key is not working and how, or what key, do I use to make the object go DOWN?

Ken.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:08:43 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Key Assignments Do Not Work Since Version 2.1
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:33:39 pm »
Already discussed and answered here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,16903.msg119736.html#msg119736

The Z key (as the other user confirmed) works fine to lower the height provided, of course, is not assigned to something else by another addon.

kmanning

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:51:29 am »
The Z key (as the other user confirmed) works fine to lower the height provided, of course, is not assigned to something else by another addon.

Well, mine does not work. I don't understand what you mean when you said "is not assigned to something else by another addon." Do you mean assigning this key to another addon? I don't see how that would have an effect on this addon, especially when another addon is not running at the same time. However, I do not recall assigning that key to any other addon. The Z key works fine in FSX when I press that key, and that is one of the default key used. It just doesn't work in GSX and I cannot figure out why, and I really need it.

Ken. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:55:18 am by kmanning »

kmanning

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:00:39 pm »
of course, is not assigned to something else by another addon.

It's been several days and still have not received an explanation about what you meant by this, but I think I understand because I have it working now. Since you mentioned that assigning this key by another addon will keep the Z key from working in GSX, which I assume is what you meant, I went back and tried to see if I could find where I may have assigned the Z key.

The plane I was using at the time to set the parking position was the PMDG 737NGX. So, I thought I would switch to another aircraft since this problem came up when using the NGX. After switching aircrafts, the Z key worked in GSX. So it had to have something to do with the PMDG 737NGX. In the NGX, the FMC allows you to assign keys for different functions. This was the only thing I could come up with. In the FMC, I found that the Z key was assigned to the auto-pilot disconnect switch, which I figured was the default in FSX anyway. But it was still hard for me to understand why assigning this key in the FMC would have any effect in GSX. So trusting what you said, I deleted that assignment and now, the Z key works in GSX. I guess it's mentioned in the manual but I haven't come across that topic regarding assigning the keys used by GSX by other addons as in my case. At first, I was wondering if I could have done something in GSX to have corrupted a file that makes the Z key work. I've also had a message to come up once prompting me to download the stand along addon manager, but I haven't done that yet because the addon manager I use now seems to work just fine. Anyway, the problem is solved and just wanted to let all know.

Ken.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:12:43 pm by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
It's been several days and still have not received an explanation about what you meant by this

It was just one day from your post that said you did not understood what I meant, to the one that said "It's been several days"...

Since you mentioned that assigning this key by another addon will keep the Z key from working in GSX, which I assume is what you meant, I went back and tried to see if I could find where I may have assigned the Z key.

Well, not exactly. I think you didn't understand how this could happen, because you don't recall having personally assigned any key to another addon but, that's not what I said.

I've said "assigned to something else by another addon", which means any other addon can try to reserve a key for itself, without any intervention on your part. What usually happens, the addon loaded first will get the key, and the others that require the same key won't respond to the same key.

The plane I was using at the time to set the parking position was the PMDG 737NGX. So, I thought I would switch to another aircraft since this problem came up when using the NGX. After switching aircrafts, the Z key worked in GSX. So it had to have something to do with the PMDG 737NGX

I was quite sure the only possible reason for the Z key not working, with the rest of GSX working, could only be caused by another addon taking the key for itself. And in fact, this is what happened.

In the FMC, I found that the Z key was assigned to the auto-pilot disconnect switch, which I figured was the default in FSX anyway.

That's the default FSX key, yes. But by default, it's supposed to be used ONLY in regular flight mode, not Slew mode. Slew mode has a different set of key assignments so, by default, the Z key it's assigned to lower the plane altitude slowly.

The GSX editor works by setting the airplane is Slew mode, so it uses the Slew keys, not the regular flight keys. Q/Z raise/lower the plane altitude so, it was only logical we used them to raise/lower the *object* altitude.

But it was still hard for me to understand why assigning this key in the FMC would have any effect in GSX

It shouldn't but, from your report, it seems the PMDG takes over the Z key even when in Slew mode, not just in regular flight mode, like the default auto-pilot disconnect function does.