Author Topic: Ntdll.dll CTD  (Read 3112 times)

B777ER

Ntdll.dll CTD
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »
I was sent the below information from another user. His findings seem sound. I am wondering if it is possible, however remote, for this to happen with GSX? Is there a way to even test from your end if this is in fact happening? While he mentions a workaround, if in fact it is occurring, it would be desirable for it to be fixed permanently if possible. Below is the message and I would just ask that before you discount it out of hand as impossible, know that the workaround has been working and just asking that you look into it when time permits. Thank you

Message received below:

I have read your various posts regarding the ntdll.dll crashes on westbound flights. I have spent the past 6 months trying to pin this down, as I have suffered the very same CTD's. Always on westbound sectors in or around the canada/newfoundland region.

After 50 westbound sectors with the identical route/aircraft/scenery (in P3D v3.3.5, v4 and v4.1) theese are my results.

1. 20 westbound sectors EDDF-KDEN in the PMDG B744 - Using GSX for pushback = Always CTD when approaching Canada. 5-5h30m elapsed time.

2. 10 westbound sectors EDDF-KDEn in the PMDG B744 - Removed GSX = NO CTD

3. SOLUTION: 20 sectors EDDF-KDEN in the PMDG B744 - Using GSX for pushback, BUT after pushback completed (select: Restart Couatl, in the add-on menu). = NO CTD.

To be 100% sure, I have reached out to another user facing the very same CTD on his westbound EHAM-KLAX. He was always had a CTD at the ~5h mark near Canada. He also posted in the most recent thread here on Avsim and has his own topic. After using my suggestion, and for the the first time, no CTD on his system (flying EHAM-KLAX in the PMDG B744).

My research indicates the issue being caused by the GSX menu pop-up window. After using GSX in combination with certain aircraft and flight durations, the pop-up begins leaking (even after it is closed, following pushback). Selecting restart couatl, kills that leak and prevents the crash.

Please give my solution a try when you get a chance. I am 100% certain it will prevent the CTD. It certainly has completely eliminated the issue on my system and the other users.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ntdll.dll CTD
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:25:04 am »
This report indicates GSX has supposedly being the cause of a problem, but it's not. Even if the crash can be reproduced and "fixed" by not using GSX, but that's not because GSX is the cause of the problem or there's anything we can fix.

Yes, I agree there's something which might be related to the usage of the Simconnect menu. I'm calling it "Simconnect menu", in order to clarify what it is. It's NOT the "GSX menu". That menu is handled entirely by the sim, and Simconnect apps don't have *any* control over it.

And, there IS something strange with that menu, which happens only with some 3rd party airplanes, and is that it gets resized automatically in a strange way ONLY after loading one of such airplanes. We don't know what is causing this, and why it happens when loading some planes and not when loading other planes.

Again, we don't have any control over its appearance, placement, size, etc, from GSX. It's done entirely by the sim.

So, if someone noticed some that problem in conjunction with using GSX, it's might simply caused by the fact that, it's the MENU itself which is leaking, or that doing what whatever it is those 3rd party airplanes are doing which cause the menu to be resized when they load, might have been triggering some kind of bug in P3D, which will happen ONLY after a long flight and only after having ANY application that opened that menu.

Since the Simconnect menu it's an internal system of the sim, it can surely crash it. GSX, running entirely external to it, under the Couatl interpreter, cannot cause such CTD, especially something that seems to be happening out of the blue, without even interacting with it, which seems to be a memory leakage problem.

It's possible the fact that restarting Couatl would fix the problem, because when a Simconnect client disconnects and reconnects, the sim might do some internal cleanup of the resources related to the menu too.

It would be interesting to do the same test with another Simconnect app that use the menu, like SODE for example.

What I really cannot explain, instead, is the supposedly geographical relationship to the crash, as if this leakage was also related in some way with the scenery. Possibly, in order to crash, the two issues must happen together, so it would be helpful to know which scenery is installed, or if it happens even with the default scenery only.

B777ER

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:50:06 pm »
I agree, it's the most perplexing thing I have ever seen as far as reproducable bugs. I agree with everything you stated. I think that restarting Coualt somehow resets simconnect and fixes that deep within the sim internal bug. I'll just keep restarting Coualt as it seems to have fixed it.
Eric

yvesamuel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:46:25 pm »
Hi,

I have also sometimes CTDs flying over Canada; It happens mostly on arriving on east coast, north of St Laurent's bay. But, I noticed this problem much less since P3D V4.

Yves